Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Goggle Problem

Poster: A snowHead
I bought some new Oakleys at Ellis Brigham about 3 weeks ago - alas I have no idea where my receipt is.

Earlier this week I experienced extreme fog. I hadn't touched the inside of the lens at all but did try to de-fog with spray after a frustrating day - the next day was just as bad.

Looking at the lens now it has an internal permanent fog.

So - what do I do?

Oakley and EB arent going to believe I haven't touched the lens because it looks exactly like I have. I have no receipt. I am circa £100 lighter for some goggles I cant use.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter Leuzzi, Assuming that you didn't pay cash for them then you would have some proof that you got them from EB.

Why not take the lenses out of the frame and put them somewhere warm and dry, maybe with something absorbent touching part of the foam between the two layers.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Leuzzi, Did you pay cash? If not could you find something on your bank or credit card records that would prove you bought them?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
are you using them with helmet? if so is the top being covered with the rim of the helmet? that could trap the moisture in the lens
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bright sunlight. Let 'em greenhouse.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs, Megamum, good point. I did pay with plastic. I was never sure that that was enough to go in and tackle them.

rjs, how exactly do you get the lenses out. Am confident of cracking them if I don't know what I am doing.

daehwons, yes I was. Thought of that. But then when I had to buy emergency goggle replacements didnt have the same probloem.

Fact is - there is moisture inside the lens now and it aint shifting
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Leuzzi, The last point about the moisture isn't good...

Most dual lenses have a spnge like material to provide an air gap between the front and back lenses...so this isn't venting which should be enough to take them back..and maybe go for unfit for purpose. You might just have a dodgy pr..but the lenses are interchangable so should come out easily enough. The frames flex and so do the lenses..to a degree.... but don't be too heavy handled... if in doubt, let the shop do it...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Leuzzi, don't panic too much. Oakley have a superb returns polocy. If there is moisture in between the lenses, and it is a defect, then Oakley will replace them.

Or you could give 'em what for with a hairdryer/hand dryer if you're still in resort.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter Leuzzi, The very same thing happened to my friend's goggles (not sure which brand) anyway, her husband put them on the radiator on a dry towel, and in the morning they had cleared.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, Mosha Marc, top advice. I will do that.

IncogSkiSno, Tried that one. Hasn't made a dent in the smearie type mark inside the lens
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Peter Leuzzi, don't panic too much. Oakley have a superb returns polocy. If there is moisture in between the lenses, and it is a defect, then Oakley will replace them......

Agreed. Oakley UK's service no. is 01462 475475.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Given that the water vapour got in it implies that there is a route to get it out. Perhaps a few days in an airing cupboard, a few hours in a cooling down oven, or a few hours in a sealed box with some silica gel would effect the desired solution?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
But even if it can be cleared, surely it's going to just fog up again if it's fautly. I'd take them back to the shop anyway.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most Oakley goggles are sealed double glazed units with air vents on the top of the outside lens. stick them on a radiator with the vents upermost and they should clear overnight. Usual reason for this type of fogging is extreme changes of temperature as Mosha Marc wrote Oakley have a good returns policy and if it is a fault they should replace them. hope all works out well Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter Leuzzi,
Dont waste your time trying to fix them, take them back to the shop. These are like double glazed windows, once the seal is compromised no matter what action you take the fogging\ condensation will return.

Unless you've tampered with the lens or there is any obvious damage, i'm sure they'll replace them. A copy of your CC statement may be required or at least the purchase reference from it. If EB do cause you any issues go direct to Oakley, they are VG at customer care.

Most ski shops are very helpful, they do want your return business. I had an issue with a Eider jacket zip that failed after about 1 weeks use. I returned the jacket to the shop, it was sent away and was returned from Eider with a better quality zip a few weeks later, you could not see any evidence of a repair. Good luck.
snow conditions
BMF_Skier,

Eider are good like that IME...

Peter Leuzzi, If you do want to have a look at these interchangeable lenses, use the wipe bag to handle the lense. You'll easily see how they fit in properly.
Nothing worse that smears on pristine lenses... and if you adhere to this handling regime, a decent pr of googles should never give much more of a problem than a quick wipe will not sort out...
The worst should be a classic headplant in deep snow.... shake off most of the snow.. and then wipe clean with the dedicated cleaning cloth/bag they give you and all should be as normal.

Dry the googles overnight, or at lunch, clean if req'd and start again. If you have googles that need much more care than this, then they don't work as they should, IMV
snow report
As I had a meeting in Letchworth yesterday am I decided to lob up at Oakley, also in Letchworth. Customer Service opens at 930am. I arrived at 9am and was treated so, so well I walked out at 905 absolutely confident I will be receiving a sorted pair of replacements.

Makes a refreshing change in a country of terrible customer service.

Thanks to all for your inputs
ski holidays
Oakley are great like that, they did me proud on a pair of sunnies 5 years out of warranty ever when I said "this is mostly my own stupidity, but..."
snow conditions
Thumbs up for Oakley from me too!
snow report
I sent two old pairs of sunnies off to Okaley for new lenses which I was paying for cos I scratched them to bits over the years and Oakley, or the postal service lost them... dunno which... Oakley then sent me two brand new pairs of their latest models gratis.... well impressed!!
snow report
SnowGod, reminds me of the service on Victorinox Swiss Army Knives, I payed about 8 CHf to have my large one serviced and repaired, when I gt it back I think they had decided the old one was just too badly trashed to easily repair, so they'd sent me a brand new one, even re engraved the side to match, All for teh cost of the postage Shocked Laughing
snow report
Oakley are unbelievable! Tell your friends, tell your enemies.

I have just taken receipt of my new goggles at the front door. Incredible.

Now going to pass them off as a gift to Mrs L as I replaced mine already wink
latest report
Another thumbs up for Oakley customer service.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy