Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying ski gear from the USA - import charges etc etc

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, I'm off to St Anton in a few weeks and fancy a snappy new outfit to strut my stuff in.

Have spotted the gear that I want, but unfortunately can't find a UK seller.

Quite a few places in the states stock it and ship to the UK, but have warnings about VAT and handling/admin charges on their websites.

Anybody ordered stuff off the net from the States? If so, do you tend to get ripped off at this end or have the charges been OK? The only person i know who did this is a guy at work who reckoned that he got charged VAT, a VAT fee for the handler as they paid the VAT up front, and an unspecified number of add-on charges totalling more that the actual item was worth!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
magic_hat, Depending what you spend, I'd guess it is a min of £75 plus difference.... taking into account the poor £-$ rate this year...everyone wants their cut and gets it... and I no longer consider it worth it unless I can post it to a U.S address and get it sent on or delivered by hand...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You may get charged VAT, import duty and a fee from the shipper. If it's shipped as a gift then I think you are ok, dependent on value. There is plenty of detail here:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_001454&propertyType=document
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
magic_hat, If it's shipped as personal property (sent tags, receipts, paperwork under separate cover) from a private address, there are no charges. Sent as a gift it can incur import duty and VAT. Also if listed as a warranty replacement on the customs declaration from a retailer . . no charges. There are a couple of other tricks but it's best to be circumspect Confused
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
£75 is a bit over the top. Depends on the goods, but duty is about 5%, VAT 15% and then shipping charges.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Basically the jacket i'm after is on sale at $149. Shipping to UK is $50.

kitenski, cheers for the link.

The duty and VAT i think i'm ok with - my concern is the charge for the courier which doesn't appear to be firmly listed anywhere and seems to be a bit of a "finger in the air" charge.

Masque, Aye, my thoughts exactly. Unfortunately the cheapest supplier has a section on their website saying that buyers shouldn't bother asking to have something marked as a gift, because it won't be!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
magic_hat, You can contract a mail address in the US and have goods sent there and they will then forward them to you. It's not expensive if you need to move a lot of "personal property" . . but to be honest, at current exchange rates it's hardly worth the effort.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
this may sound dense, but what if I'm buying used hardware from a random private punter in the US - am I liable to anything or would the fact that they could very easily ship without tags, invoice etc mean that "personal property" would be the classification automatically???
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy