Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Toilet charge on Ryanair, are they (is he) mad

Poster: A snowHead
Dwarf Vader wrote:
Quote:
a few extra kg is pretty neglible
So why am I charged for my extra 2kgs when my case goes over the limit.
Because the airline can get the money off you for it without being up in front of the court for discrimination. By the same token, why do some airlines have baggage allowances of 15kg, and others 32kg? (Accepting that the latter often has to be split into bags of no more than 23kgs).

God damn it! Why should I pay the same for a medium t-shirt as someone who wants an XL? Mine used a lot less material! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rambotion,

I disagree with PamW here but your statements re aircraft and weight are not exactly true.

When designing concorde, which is an extreme example of the relation between drag and weight, engineers were directly linking loss in drag performance to the number of max passenger in the aircraft. They had a number of pax they could not go under and a range they wanted to achieve. so when extra weight was added to the design ( and were talking small weights here) and affecting drag they could say "this is costing us one passenger" because fuel consumption would have increased, make the range unattainable, and one single pssanger removed would solve that...They were constantly juggling..

So yes weight counts enormously but because we're not weighing individual passengers (yet..) the solution is to account for averages, with safety factors, i.e the more passengers and their luggage, the less cargo...

The extra weight charges are delibarately high to put people off getting into a habit so that the above rules/calculations apply without too much profit loss, even if your extra weight does not affect a particular flight.

You also get the case like my wife encountered in the US, where the plane is a small turbo-prop, and the captain is asking each passenger how much they weigh and tells where to sit accordingly so as to keep the aircraft loading balanced...

So I don't agree with PamW suggestions but weight certainly is very important to how much fuel is used...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kruisler, On a small flight back from Guernsey I was once asked to sit on my own at the centre of the plane. Can't understand it myself Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kruisler, Axsman, only time I've had seating based on passenger mass was Soton-Amsterdam, but that was a Dornier something that's rather small, and the crew outnumbered the passengers! (2 in cockpit, 2 stewards, 3 passengers). Had to sit on middle row for take-off/landing, but free to sit anywhere for rest of the flight.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy, Have also been weighed before flying (me not my luggage) that was for a helicopter flight down to the Grand Canyon.

And when I had a go at gliding I had to pair up with one of the 'lighter' instructors. Maybe someone is trying to tell me something?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
... you weren't designed to fly? wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Axsman,

Fuel consumption aside, the big no no for a plane is having its center of gravity in front of the wings (this is a simplified version of the reality but the best way to describe it). In that case the plane becomes aerodynamically unstable...great for computer "driven" fighter planes, not so safe for airliners..

So the smaller the aircraft, the more the passenger/cargo weight distribution is critical... So in your case, if the plane was small and you were the only passenger, they sat you smack bang in the middle, close to center of gravity...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Axsman, I think that's a polite way of saying the centre of gravity follows you around! Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman, Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kruisler, laundryman, I believe small pets may even get trapped in my orbit Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Axsman, Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Axsman, Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Axsman wrote:
andy, Have also been weighed before flying (me not my luggage) that was for a helicopter flight down to the Grand Canyon.

Had to do the same on our trip before flying by helicopter to the Canyon. There was 8 of us and we had to mix us all up to get the safe weight for the flight Shocked

Maybe they may charge for those baby float things if the plane crashes, got a captive audience on that hasnt he, theyd have to pay up! wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have had to be weighed before flying from St Johns to St Anthony in Newfoundland... and they made be leave my skis and half my luggage... Embarassed

small plane and bad weather though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Charging for the loos is just potty. However, I find big fat people in the next seat to me much more annoying than toddlers. And as for people who hog the toilets to do their makeup. Evil or Very Mad I'd solve that one by removing the mirrors, not by charging.
latest report
Quote:

Charging for the loos is just potty.

Enough of this lavatory humour.
latest report
T Bar, there's just too many jokes toilet it go.
snow report
pam w wrote:
I'd solve that one by removing the mirrors, not by charging.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ryanair do that (if they haven't already).
latest report
Never mind the fact that size S costs the same as XL, why is it that ladies underware costs more the less there is of it Puzzled

Not that I wear it often you understand
snow conditions
beequin wrote:
He doesn't own the company, just the CEO.

make no mistake about it, he calls the shots, he is ryanair

this is the dude who bought a (very expensive) taxi plate in Ireland (like 50k or something), and strapped it to his limo so he can use the taxi lanes!!!
latest report
He is not thinking of introducing a coin slot in the toilet door. He did however raise a kite, and look even the likes of snowHead s can rant for 3 pages in one day about it. Ryanair is being spoken about and I guess he believes the old addage of their being no such thing as bad publicity.
snow conditions
Couple of things:

Disabled travellers, he used to charge them until he was taken to court. Doesn't anyone remember some years ago a disabled passenger took Ryanair to court over unfair charges for transporting his wheelchair, he won and the result was that Ryanair then slapped a surcharge on every ticket sold to cover the cost of 'handling' disabled passengers. Just gave him another excuse for yet another additional revenue stream. Just googling this brings up a few of the news reports.

Re. avoiding the toilet levy, just do what small plane pilots do, see here http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/1630 and for the ladies here http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/1631

Laughing
ski holidays
If the DO charge by my weight and I subsequently pay go to the loo, will I get a refund...?

Or If I buy their food, will I be surcharged?
snow report
Used Ryanair a few times, but would prefer not to. They get you to the destination, but it is not a pleasant experience, with their terrible colour scheme and vodka sachets.

They are experts at making a £20M aircraft look like a piece of shoite.

I do not plan to use them again.
snow conditions
Roy Hockley wrote:
Ryanair is being spoken about and I guess he believes the old addage of their being no such thing as bad publicity.

Maybe he's right, for this story was reported on the main Austrian television news this evening. The punchline there was whether Ryanair was expecting the scheme to bring "ein kleines oder ein grosses Geschäft". Literally that means "a little or a big business" but figuratively what we might call "a no. 1 or a no. 2" Laughing
latest report
sarah wrote:
Re. avoiding the toilet levy, just do what small plane pilots do, see here http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/1630 and for the ladies here http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/1631

Laughing

Sarah, you beat me to it!
snow report
I found the interview on breakfast TV very amusing, I couldn't help but admire O'Leary for his front ... however I won't be using Ryanair.
snow conditions
I've not read the past 3 pages of anti-ryanair dialogue but to the thread creator. If you read the whole article and don't just believe what bbc and co. want you to (that is that ryanair is now charging for toilet use)... you would see that they are not charging anyone for toilet use or planning to.

He merely says that he can see it happening one day.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timmaah,
Quote:

they are not charging anyone for toilet use or planning to.
In this interview, O'Leary states that they are "looking at it" which is barely a step away from "planning", I think.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7914542.stm
snow report
Roy Hockley wrote:
Ryanair is being spoken about and I guess he believes the old addage of their being no such thing as bad publicity.

Then he is wrong. Many people and companies have been destroyed by bad publicity. I think some of his problem is that he doesn't realise that Ryanair (whether this is right or wrong) is now seen by many people in three lights.
1 When all the "add-on's" are taken into view Ryanair is an Expensively priced - cheap airline (that’s Cheap not inexpensive)
2 They have forgotten what made them popular in the first place. In many cases it is now less costly to fly with BA, KLM, etc than RA
3 The CEO is having a detrimental effect on the public's perception of the company and this "will" in the end affect sales.

Timmaah wrote:
to the thread creator. If you read the whole article and don't just believe what bbc and co. want you to (that is that ryanair is now charging for toilet use)... you would see that they are not charging anyone for toilet use or planning to.

I didn't create an Anti-Ryanair Rant (well don't think I did). I just think it's mad.
As far as Ryanair goes, I have used them a few times and had no problems. The planes (in my case) were on time, my baggage arrived, etc. I don't really care the colour of the plane or the seats just as long as I get where I want and (again, in my case) I had no problems with Ryanair. They were as good as another airline for my flights.

But I still think it's not only MAD to even contemplate charge for a (to quote espri) No1 or No2 but, lets face it there is plenty of room to see the funny side of it. Maybe they will dump the charges after reading this Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Timmaah, Surely if he can see it happening one day, they are talking and thinking about it?! I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised. I've had some ok experiences with Ryanair in the past, and some cheap flights in the old days. I've gradually gone off them as their customer service and care has gone down the toilet, and they've charged their customers more and more for their, what it becoming, shoddy service. Since being abaondoned in Venice the day before NYE (after checking in, and being told ten minutes prior to us boarding) with a two month old baby and no effort to put on a replacement flight before 6th Jan a couple of years ago I've not used them. I will use them again if it suits, and it's cheap - but they seldom work out cheaper than anyone else to the destinations I generally flight to; and if it was a matter of saving only a few £'s I would fly with someone else rather than give them my money.
ski holidays
I really don't understand much of the antipathy towards Ryanair, although their advertising, ticketing system and corporate outlook sucks (O'Leary calling BAA t**** for example). Short haul flights are the equivalent for me of a rail journey. I turn up at the airport on time, wander about for a bit, have a coffee, read a book, get on the flight and within a couple of hours I'm in the Alps. I couldn't really give an a*** about the plane's interior or what the flight attendants are like as I'll be reading or sleeping. I can usually manage to go for a couple of hours without eating or drinking, and if you don't want to pay on board prices then there's always the option of getting something at the airport or waiting until you arrive.

I've done 12 trips with Ryanair, Stansted to Salzburg, in the last 2 years. Every flight (apart from a 1.5 delay in Feb because of snow at Stansted) was on time, didn't crash and was the cheapest I could find. I've never been treated 'like s***'. I spend at least 2.5 hours a day on southeastern trains. 1.75 hours on a flight a few times a year when I'm going on my holidays is nothing to get worked up about, it's just what you do to get where you want to go.
snow report
Seany, Haven't read the rest of the thread as I'm sure it's just a Ryanair slagging contest. But I agree it's just a bus ride with wings.

Top tip for everyone - buy a sandwich and drink at Pret on the way to the plane. It's cheaper and tastes a lot better. The idea of paying to take a whizz is a bit mental though!
ski holidays
They might introduce a variable toilet charge in line with their fares.........ie when a larger number of people start to go to the loo they put the price up!!!
snow conditions
Two weeks time £3.75 one way East Mids to Grenoble on a Saturday - including everything. (no tax promotion, hand baggage only, on-line check-in, electron payment card).

You pay your money, you take your choice and as long as you're prepared to accept you're on your own if it all goes wrong, understand all the rules and get fully insured then there are still some ridiculously cheap fares on offer.

You often pay to use toilets even in restuarants on the continent - seems totally reasonable to me. But then I think people with kids should pay more tax, not less - they're putting more of a strain on the education system, health services etc etc.

I remember National Express Coaches with no toilets and no food until the Motorway Services stop after 2.5 hours, so what's the problem?
snow conditions
I would be extremely worried to fly with a carrier who trims everything down to the bone. If the use of a toilet is a cost item there must be millions to be made in watering down the safety procedures, maintenance etc.
snow conditions
saikee wrote:
I would be extremely worried to fly with a carrier who trims everything down to the bone. If the use of a toilet is a cost item there must be millions to be made in watering down the safety procedures, maintenance etc.

Except they cannot "water down" either maintenance or safety procedures on commercial aircraft. Thankfully legal regulations are very anal.
ski holidays
Off topic but
kkev,
Quote:

But then I think people with kids should pay more tax, not less - they're putting more of a strain on the education system, health services etc etc.

I always reckon this is one of the great fallacies, we as a society absolutely need young people as they will be the ones generating the money & looking after us in our old age unless you are planning on never retiring. (They are also far less of aburden on the health service than the elderly.)
snow report
kkev wrote:
.........I remember National Express Coaches with no toilets and no food until the Motorway Services stop after 2.5 hours, so what's the problem?

A coach can always pull into a service area if someone really needs to go. Tricky with an Airbus.
latest report
Small planes don't have loos. I've done a fair bit of travel (for work) in the past in small chartered planes like Islanders. There's no toilet. End of. It's a bit panic-inducing at times. Also done long-haul in a Hercules, with just a sort of Elsan behind a shower curtain. Also not ideal for the only woman on the flight. But at least it was free.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy