Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Toilet charge on Ryanair, are they (is he) mad

Poster: A snowHead
uktrailmonster,

They will find the way.

How many passengers in a Ryanair plane? A plane of 150 passengers could pay say £150 for using the toilets during the trip. This is peanuts comparing with the cost cutting they can lay their fingers on the massive bill for maintenance work alone.

What we see now does not represent what would happen 10 or 20 years down the line. I am sure many of the African "flying coffins" had to start from somewhere They are also able to satisfy the legal and FAA requirements in force too.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w,

I think there may be a difference between a small plane, due to space, cost or whatever reasons, not having the toilet facility designed and built at manufacture and someone levying a charge on a facility hereto for has been made available by others for free. Ryanair can include the cost in the fare but they want a low price price to attract customers and now trimming everything down to the bone.

If Raynair has balls they can specify the planes comes without any toilet facility and strip the toilets on any plane that has them. The installation, operational and maintenance cost can all be saved and they can also cramp more passengers into the empty space. That will shut up everyone.

Everybody wants to make more money but there is a decency boundary beyond which most wouldn't cross. I am not surprised if friends and relatives of the Ryanair spoken person visit his house and find his toilets are coin-operated too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, If the flight was free, you were ripped off. As most that travel in a Hercules are paid for doing so!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roy Hockley, well, I was being paid to be there. wink And the in-flight sandwiches and coffee from a Thermos, served by charming loadmaster, were very welcome.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saikee wrote:
uktrailmonster,

They will find the way.

No, their maintenance and safety standards are controlled by the CAA and EASA, same as for BA. There is no evidence to suggest that a Ryanair plane is any more dangerous than a BA plane. Apart from in your head perhaps.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I believe if your a Restaurant or Bar and serving Food & Beverages they have to provide free Public conveniences so unless they stop serving drinks & food then I think they may have a problem?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton, all those restaurants in the fancy Alps resorts clearly don't believe in that rule!

Actually, given that you pay extra for everything on Ryanair, I don't suppose that charging for toilets is any different, logically. I suppose that safety regulations would prevent their selling extra cheap flights for people who don't mind standing all the way!

Perhaps if you pay in advance at the time of booking you'd get it cheaper than a last-minute decision?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
O'leary has played a blinder. That one comment has got him more publicity than any amount of ballooning, powerboating or other high cost stunts as favoured by Branson.

Who cares about pay loos anyway? I don't usually go on a flight less than 2 hours, but if I need to then ok I can stand a quid.

Storm in a P1$$ pot really, which was no doubt the intent Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Axsman wrote:
O'leary has played a blinder. That one comment has got him more publicity than any amount of ballooning, powerboating or other high cost stunts as favoured by Branson.

Here is another Blinder

We also do cut-glass sherry decanters complete with six glasses on a silver-plated tray that your butler can serve you drinks on, all for £4.95. People say, "How can you sell this for such a low price?" I say, because it's total crap.

Does anyone remember Gerald Ratner ? Think Mr O'Raynair should try at least. Not all publicity is good. He is just compounding the view that Ryanair is exploitative.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Also done long-haul in a Hercules, with just a sort of Elsan behind a shower curtain. Also not ideal for the only woman on the flight. But at least it was free.

I've done the same a few times, For the guys it's a harder aim, the vibration has an effect Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think people sometimes miss the point with Michael. He does what he likes and simply does not care what anyone else thinks! right or wrong, it dont matter to him!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saikee wrote:
I would be extremely worried to fly with a carrier who trims everything down to the bone. If the use of a toilet is a cost item there must be millions to be made in watering down the safety procedures, maintenance etc.

I don't think this applies to Ryanair:

1. They would not be allowed to fly in British or indeed Western Europe airspace if there was any doubt as to the safety of their aircraft. There is such a thing as an aircraft blacklist.
2. Ryanair have one of the youngest fleet of aircraft.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saikee wrote:
uktrailmonster,

They will find the way.

No they won't.

They can't. End of.

Quote:

How many passengers in a Ryanair plane? A plane of 150 passengers could pay say £150 for using the toilets during the trip. This is peanuts comparing with the cost cutting they can lay their fingers on the massive bill for maintenance work alone.

peanuts compared to a"massive" zero. I think not.

Quote:

What we see now does not represent what would happen 10 or 20 years down the line. I am sure many of the African "flying coffins" had to start from somewhere They are also able to satisfy the legal and FAA requirements in force too.

You know the planet called earth. Perhaps you should visit sometime Smile

What happens in very ill-regulated African countries has ZERO relevance to what happens in the very heavily regulated UK.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster wrote:

No, their maintenance and safety standards are controlled by the CAA and EASA, same as for BA. There is no evidence to suggest that a Ryanair plane is any more dangerous than a BA plane. Apart from in your head perhaps.

A minor point, but Ryanair is overseen by the Irish Aviation Authority rather than the UK CAA.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I myself am not hopeful that the FAA and other international and national regulatory standards have been maintained to the same high standard as say 15 or 20 years ago where the airline carriers were better funded and had a wider margin in their operations.

Of curse the crash landing in Romania, the broke-up Turkist plane a few days ago in Amsterdam and the recent US plane landed on a river could be dismissed by SH as something to be statistically insignificant as far as the maintaining the aircrafts to the standards in force. Even if the above were proven to be 100% human error I still could not help to think the quality of the pilots may be not as same league, in terms of paid condition, training, technical competency, working hours etc, as 10 or 20 years ago.

I know many SH like the benefit of being charged with a bus fare to be a passenger in a plane and put their trust in the regulatory bodies. Age has taught me to be less optimistic as I still have to come to term with what has gone wrong with the banking/finance sector which I thought was one of those tightly regulated. Seeing one of the people, residing over the financial collapse of a massive bank to register the biggest corporate loss in UK history, being rewarded with a over £600,000 annual pension funded by the public is not a prime example to trust everything is done hanky dory behind the scene.
snow conditions
Maintenance aside I think the average age of Ryanairs fleet is significantly younger than most airlines.
latest report
saikee, you missed the fatal crash at Buffalo, New York, the other week. Actually, I think those were the first fatalities in US commercial aviation in two years at least, so I think you have no basis in believing that standards are falling.
latest report
Colin B,

That may be part of a business model to sell the aircrafts before the maintenance cost becomes too high, something like change the car and no need to worry about its MOT.

laundryman,

I did state it is my worry and did not offer any figures and fact to substantiate my personal anxiety. May be in this forum no one else would think an airline trying to get £1 off the passenger for using the toilet would make no attempt to bring down the millions in the maintenance cost. It is just not natural to me.
latest report
saikee, I think having planes drop out of the sky is much worse for customer perception than a charge for using the lavatory.
snow conditions
actually, the more I think about this, the more logical a charge seems. As others have said, people do faff around doing their makeup etc, and if you have a child who really needs to go, or really need to go yourself, how nice to be able to get straight in (with your £1) rather than hop about waiting. Most flights to the Alps are around 1.5 hours. Unless the're ill, any adult and most kids over 7 should be able to last. There are plenty of ordinary bus journeys (not long distance coaches) which take longer than that. If desperate, you'd have to jump off and then wait for the next one. Tant pis.
snow report
yeah but they'd have to make it multi currency. I wouldn;t have GBP on a flight from Luxembourg to Dublin, but then that's moot anyway, since I wouldn't fly with them in the first place. Just like many people flying back from a week in Spain might not have loose GBP change in pocket but may well have euros.
Or make it credit card swipe... 1 gbp per minute, with door automatically opening after 3mins.

If they added 5 GBP to the entire fare, and assume that everyone will want a sarnie, a small drink, and 1 trip to the dunny, then the staff would be able to serve the entire plane quicker, they won't be faffing about trying to find change, and the trolleys won't block the aisles for the entire trip. (That was my experience of BA Connect in the transitional phase to Flybe - why the heck did they price things at like 7.23 for a coffee and bun?)
ski holidays
saikee wrote:
I myself am not hopeful that the FAA and other international and national regulatory standards have been maintained to the same high standard as say 15 or 20 years ago where the airline carriers were better funded and had a wider margin in their operations.

Of curse the crash landing in Romania, the broke-up Turkist plane a few days ago in Amsterdam and the recent US plane landed on a river could be dismissed by SH as something to be statistically insignificant as far as the maintaining the aircrafts to the standards in force. Even if the above were proven to be 100% human error I still could not help to think the quality of the pilots may be not as same league, in terms of paid condition, training, technical competency, working hours etc, as 10 or 20 years ago.

That's the sort of analysis my grandma would offer. You'd need to back those views up with some kind of factual evidence for anyone to take them seriously. So have a quick look at this table and you'll see what complete BS you're talking. But don't let facts put you off too much Wink

http://aviation-safety.net/statistics/period/stats.php?cat=A1
snow report
Quote:

That's the sort of analysis my grandma would offer

Laughing not so many grandmaist comments, please!
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

That's the sort of analysis my grandma would offer

Laughing not so many grandmaist comments, please!

Laughing she may know absolutely nothing about commercial aircraft safety (although that wouldn't put her off having an opinion), but she can bake a mean angel cake.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
people do faff around doing their makeup

Well, I don't. But if I'd paid a £1.00 I'd think I ought to get my money's worth so I probably would. Sex and a strip wash too, anyone? Laughing
snow report
Wayne, If you believe as a business person Ratner stacks up to O'Leary you may very well be in a tiny minority. Look at what Ratner has done since, what is the addage about keeping a good man down!
snow report
maggi wrote:
pam w wrote:
people do faff around doing their makeup

Well, I don't. But if I'd paid a £1.00 I'd think I ought to get my money's worth so I probably would. Sex and a strip wash too, anyone? Laughing

Now you're talking. Shocked Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Can we start the puns now?

I've 'logged' this as another reason not to use Ryanair !

Seriously though, when airlines started charging for food on board, we brought our own. Time to bring your own empty bottle to pee in !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Actually, I think it should be 99p. Right money only, and the machine gives no change. And the door opens after 3 minutes unless a further 99p is put in from the inside.
snow report
Has this been posted here yet?

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/ryanair-planes-to-smell-strongly-of-urine-and-faeces-200902271609/
ski holidays
maggi wrote:
But if I'd paid a £1.00 I'd think I ought to get my money's worth so I probably would. Sex and a strip wash too, anyone? Laughing

And the door opens after 3 mins? Shocked Shocked Actually, scratch that, there's probably still time... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots wrote:

And the door opens after 3 mins? Shocked Shocked Actually, scratch that, there's probably still time... Toofy Grin

Oi, I resemble that remark. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I think it's silly to question an airline's safety and maintenence record because they are a low-cost carrier. They abide by the same rules given to the big costly airlines. The only difference is the interior and service.

Also, the hudson crash was due to a flock of birds killing both engines. Nothing to do with poor maintenence regulation or human error. If anything, the hudson river crash showed that pilots are very capable these days. He managed to crash land on water without killing anyone.

The recent crash in Amsterdam, only 8 people (iirc) died and the plane was pretty badly damaged.

So basically what I'm saying is, stop talking s*** Saikee.
latest report
Timmaah wrote:
So basically what I'm saying is, stop talking s*** Saikee.

As there is no reduction in the charge for just "talking". Any form of s*** will be charged at the standard rate (£1)

Hmmmmmmm Now Then .....

I would think the Guardian readers would be slightly upset by the placing of cameras "within the toilet area" so this would leave us free (well almost as £1 ain't that much) to use the toilet for whatever purpose we want, after all (me not being a legal type but .....) I would think we had rented the area and so......

Can we sub-let?

If I rent the toilet area for £1 then could I charge a number of people (hopefully over 3 for profits sake) say 50p to use "my" facilities. I would even supply quilted paper.
Obviously (following RA business plan) different types of paper (ranging from Izal to the one with Bear in the advert) would be charged according to their relative comfort and I may look at the absorbency of different papers to see if they could be charged for (relatively) of course this would be to reduce the cost of flights and improve the service we offer.

And (again using the RA business ethic) I could serve "suitable" refreshments to those paying a higher supplement during their "use of the facilities". This would be known as the In and Out supplement. Of course (for the sake of safety and to reduce the cost of flights and improve the service we offer) the weights (In and Out) will be strictly monitored to maintain the equilibrium of the toilet area. I will be looking for a school leaver to fill the roll of Out Weight Technician. Please forward your CV and a covering letter explaining why you feel you are a suitable canidiate for this position.

I will be publishing a full list of charges and service offered and (of course) small print in due course.

Of course (to reduce the cost of flights and improve the service we offer) we don't want to do too much work, so if anyone has any ideas for service that we could charge for, it would be appreciated. NOTE please confine your ideas to services that can be performed/offered within a 1mX1.5m floor space.
ski holidays
Quote:

I would think the Guardian readers would be slightly upset by the placing of cameras "within the toilet area"

Whereas Mail readers are quite happy to produce tons of cr@p in public? wink
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I would think the Guardian readers would be slightly upset by the placing of cameras "within the toilet area"

Whereas Mail readers are quite happy to produce tons of cr@p in public? wink

I have nothing personally against anyone who reads the Guardian. Although any use of a cravat in place of the provided quilted paper will not negate the charges levied.

But I think you are confused

Did you mean
http://www.pharm-europe.com/x/guideArticle.html?id=9351

Water Sewage & Effluent magazine - whos readers really do produce tons of cr@p in public
snow report
saikee wrote:

rolling eyes

Paranoia does not help anyone..

You show very little actual knowledge or understanding of this industry. And it is a real shame that you base your doubts on what is nothing more than a picture in your head which has not apparent basis apart from maybe the tabloids reporting..
Would you care to elaborate what you base "I still could not help to think the quality of the pilots may be not as same league.." on?

At least one of the incidents you mention was caused not by human error on the part of the crew or the maintenance/regulatory staff, but by hitting a big flock of geese... The crew's handling of the incident was exceptional, and pilots "10 or 20 years ago" would have been just as impressed as people are now.

Your perception that crews and/or maintenance staff are not as good now as they were is simply ludicrous.
The system is certainly not perfect and people will make mistakes and/or cheat...like with everytyhing else..and some will get away with it..like with everything else...

But your lack of trust has no base whatsoever...
snow conditions
I was sitting there this morning having an O'Leary and I got to thinking. If only they'd return to the old system of wheeking the jobbies out of the 'plane instead of storing them for removal on arrival, Ryanair could pay passengers for lightening the load by having a mid air dump. Still, that's progress.
ski holidays
poor saikee, give her a break
latest report
richmond, I think your on to something, if only doing an "O'Leary" became a bye word for taking a Thomas or ripping people off, he might think twice.

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy