Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuile - Any info??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there!,

Got a last minute deal staying in the Planibel Apartments on the 22nd of March.

J/w if anyone could tell me anything about resort etc..
-- dont often go self-catering so if anyone could recommend a good restaurant or cafe to have dinner in? - cheap and cheerful!

Has anyone been to these apartments as been reading a few reviews and they all seem to be a bit mixed?

Hopefully the weather is good and the snow is nice!Smile Razz

Thanks for you help!

wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haven't stayed at the apartments, but you can't beat the location, right under the main gondola. There's a decent supermarket and butchers nearby.

La Cage, in the Planibel complex is always a good bet for a beer, and they show the footer and rugby. My favorite eateries are the Coppa Pan, La Grotta (great pizza), La Rascas (pricey, but superb), and La Maison du Steak (3 guesses).

On the mountain, avoid the self catering place at the top of the gondola. Most other places on the Italian side are OK and reasonably priced.

You don't go to La thuile for the apres, but the skiing's great, and you'll definately eat well. Oh, and if you've never tried it, have a Limoncello with your espresso after dinner Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed there a few years back and thought they were really good apartments for the price. Certainly bigger and more pleasant to be in than the usual french rabbit-hutches we would expect for the price and convenient for the lift, rental etc.

If it's the same ones we were in then they are basic but I hear there are some more expensive ones there so if you don't think you've booked a particularly cheap place then it's probably not the ones we were in (it's a pretty big complex), so you can ignore this!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Didn't do cheap and cheerful. But if you want something a bit special one night, go to the Chalet Eden Hotel, just down from the Main Gondola towards the mobile home park. Great Food and Wine. We were on half board, and the food was fantastic.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jollykay, we have stayed here, albeit a while ago. It was a last minute deal and we had a studio apartment for 4 - as there were only two of us it was fine, but 4 might not have been! The bathroom was good as I recall - huge bath and loads of hot water. The location is excellent, just a minute or two to the gondola and if the snow is OK you can ski back to the residence. There were a couple of shops including a small Spar-type of thing, plus a takeaway pizza place - no bar IIRC, but the hotel part of the PLanibel does I think. There were a few decent pizza and pasta places within 5-10 minutes walk and as ajpaul, says, La Grotta was very good - reasonably priced, great pizzas made to order and the house red was very nice too. I'd go back to La Thuile any time - really enjoyed the holiday and the Planibel Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice!Very Happy

any recommendations for where we can go for breakfast?

thanks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jollykay wrote:
Thanks for the advice!Very Happy

any recommendations for where we can go for breakfast?

thanks.

How about your own aprtment Puzzled You can get cereal, bread, jams, eggs etc in the supermarket and be out and skiing early.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stayed there at the planibel 3 years ago. Couldn't have asked for a better place. Excellent location, fantastic skiing. We also stayed in an S/C apartment for 4, as only 2 of us went. Good sized kitchen area, balcony, tv and 2 bathrooms. The coppa pan was the best place to eat at that time and as far as i can remember, there was only really 1 decent pub. The night life is a little on the tame side to say the least. I would definatly go back again & recomend it to all grades of skier. Have a gud'un.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
justme, really? Haven't been myself, yet. But I didn't think you could return easily to the resort on skis if you are an uncofident intermediate or begginer, because of the steepness of the runs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I didn't think you could return easily to the resort on skis if you are an uncofident intermediate or begginer

No, but there is a perfectly decent gondola which can be ridden down.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the ice perv, Well I know for sure members of my family who aren't particularly confident wouldn't wish to return to the resort by gondola. They would much prefer to go to a resort where they could return to the bottom on skis. I don't think this is an uncommon desire for most skiiers.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've been a few times and would agree with most of the other comments about the Planibel, it is perfectly acceptable and in a perfect location. For breakfast try La Meleze, as you come out of the gondola station its look up and to the right they do or at least did last year) a breakfast special Croissant, coffee and OJ for a few Euros. We normally get one of the first gondolas up have a couple of runs while it’s nice and quiet (not that I’ve ever seen it busy) and then have breakfast while the ski school groups disperse. Lunch wise our favourite is Le Foyer, at the top of the main route back to the gondola station, great well priced pasta specials.

Après wise yes it’s a bit quiet, but we quite like that, the bar in the planibel hotel has lots of comfy sofas and is very laid back. For something special check out “Chocolat” which does the most amazing hot chocolate and a simply superb chocolate fondue. To get there from the Planibel follow the slope side road down towards the village you will find it just before you cross the bridge over the river.

Would agree with most of the restaurant recommendations, we didn’t really like Coppa Pan, but we have spoken to lots of people who raved about it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Red 7 is an absolute doddle of a return to the village...if a little boring.

Val D'Isere and Les Deux Alpes have runs that are listed on the map as easy returns to the village, but red 7 is a lot safer than both.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are looking for an excellent restaurant up the mountain I would definitely recommend the Maison Carrell. It has table service and is not too pricey considering the quality of the food and the location.

On a sunny day you can eat on the terrace and the views are spectacular. You will find it just off the Red 30 under the Argillen Express.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
aye red 7 is fine for people lacking a bit of confidence to ski all the way down.
ski holidays
jollykay wrote:

J/w if anyone could tell me anything about resort etc..
-- dont often go self-catering so if anyone could recommend a good restaurant or cafe to have dinner in? - cheap and cheerful!

wink

Apri - Ski is a night at the Karaoke then a Kebab or Pizza to take back to the apartments.

Nightlife is non-existent but you will have the best time if you go just after a huge dump of snow as you will still get freshies a week after.

It's not as over-populated as some of the other ski resorts and queuing is none-existent.

You can also Heli-Board from La Thuile if you fancy that option.

Hope this helps.

Very Happy
latest report
Just resurrecting an old thread and hopefully planning ahead...

Chatting with my ski buddies on our last night in Courmayeur on Saturday and discussed the possibility of La Thuile next season. It would have been nice to visit for a day whilst in Courmayeur but logistics would have made this rather cumbersome...

So, this thread has established that the skiing is good and the nightlife limited in La Thuile, both fine by me, but I was interested in any hotel recommendations if anyone can share their experiences? We would usually book via Crystal/Thomson for convenience and their choice of regional airport departures. DIY bookings don't really appeal to any of us.

Definitely do not want self catering (for me a holiday does not involve shopping, cooking and washing up!) and single rooms or low single supplements would be a huge bonus as two of our party (myself included) are singletons.

Would be grateful for any comments...
snow conditions
Chalet Eden I would recommend. Not certain about single supplements, but Hotel position allows ski in, either hotel minibu or 500 yard walk to lift. Very good food, nice hotel, probably the best there. Doubt though if a tour operator does this.
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
Chatting with my ski buddies on our last night in Courmayeur on Saturday and discussed the possibility of La Thuile next season. It would have been nice to visit for a day whilst in Courmayeur but logistics would have made this rather cumbersome...

hello queen bodecia it is a shame you didnt go to La Thuile from Courmayeur but you would have been able to get the free ski bus or for around 20 euro got a taxi there Smile

we took friends there for two days as one of them didnt like Courmayeur but we had been b4 so we enjoyed doing all the reds there from our last visit.

would go back there but it is a very quiet resort but you make your own apri ski anyway so why worry.

i hope you have a gr8 time if you do decide to go but wrap up warm as although it is just around from Courmayeur it is always colder & the bonus is that you can always ski into La Rosière in France if you feel enegetic Smile
snow report
corona, we saw the free ski bus to La Thuile but it wouldn't have been convenient for us as our hotel was a long way from the slopes (bubble lift & bus) so it made sense to leave our equipment at the lift station at Plan Checrouit rather than carry it about and keep those dreaded boots on for any longer than is absolutely necessary...

Hence why we thought it might be nice to visit La Thuile next season instead. It looks like quite a large ski area too. Courmayeur was really warm, coldest day (snowing) was -3º and warmest day was 7º. Thermals stayed in my suitcase all week. I don't mind it a bit colder than that, 7º was actually far too warm for skiing, although someone did mention that La Thuile was windy whereas we had little or no wind in Courmayeur...

twoodwar, I've googled Chalet Eden but it doesn't seem to be offered by any tour ops. What a shame as it looks a nice hotel. Anyone got any tour op hotel experiences from La Thuile...?
snow report
queen bodecia, Only the Planibel - we stayed in the apartments, but my brother and his group stayed in the hotel part. No negatives as far as I remember, and the location is very good, close to the gondola and ski in.
snow report
queen bodecia, why not just book direct? Pretty easy to do a DIY trip to la Thuile.
snow report
stevomcd, doesn't really appeal to me. TOs just so much more convenient and usually cheaper when you factor in the cost and hassle of private transfers. I've booked via Crystal/Thomson the past 3 trips and been more than satisfied. I guess I just find it nice to walk straight from the airport on to a transfer bus that stops directly outside my hotel and get my lift pass on the journey, not to mention fast track hire equipment within minutes of arriving in resort. I just want an easy life... Very Happy

Anniepen, spotted the Planibel complex in this season's brochure and it certainly looks the most convenient location, but also rather large and impersonal. Still, it is only a bed/meal for the night so the family hotel touch isn't a necessity...
snow report
queen bodecia, It may be your only option if you need to go via a TO - there would be other choices direct with the owner but as this doesn't appeal...... FWIW, we really liked La Thuile and would go again. The skiing was good, all very convenient and good to ski back to base which we did at lunchtime too. Very Happy
snow report
queen bodecia, if im right you stayed in the hotel astoria in la palud? (i read your other thread!)

The ski bus to La thuile stopped basically right outside your hotel!
- you see i was in courmayeur last year and stayed in the Astoria!
The bus just stopped in a car park, just below the Astoria, and dropped you of there too!

Went to La Thuile for a day and we both said we would go back so here we are!...
going on sunday!Very Happy
ski holidays
jollykay, we wish we were going now, looks like you've got some good days ahead with lovely clear blue skies Smile

going to your first post, there are a few restuarants with nice food but not if anyone is a veggie!!!! Shocked all within 5/10 mins from where you are but do book in advance if you have a large group. its not a courmayeur type resort but your not there just for the nitelife you're there for the snow & you'll love it for that & it blows 'C' out the water for that Smile

the ski area itself is the best bit, vast & i'm pretty sure you will love it like we did. to be honest the only downside by being in the apartments is that if you use the pool that is attached to the hotel you have to walk a short distance outside in the cold Sad whereas if you stay in the hotel you can walk in the comfort of your slippers & shorts inside a tunnel that links the sports complex with the hotel Smile

we went in late jan a few years back & it was around -10/-17, then went there for a few days last year while based in Courmayeur again in late jan & again was cold & -6 where courmayeur was hovering around zero but that's the norm around both resorts.

got the biggest bottle of 'jack daniels' in one of the shops in the resort centre 3ltrs for around 40euro!!!!! Very Happy although the way the bleeding pund is at the mo i dont think one will get the same deal Shocked but let me know if you do wink

last of all njoi snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
jollykay, yes I did stay at the Astoria (and very nice it was too) and I did see the La Thuile bus from the car park below the hotel. However, since the Astoria was such a long way from the slopes at Courmayeur we made use of the ski/boot lockers/warmers at Plan Checrouit rather than carry all the stuff about. Going to La Thuile would have meant not using this service for two days and lugging everything about wearing yucky ski boots. Some people did it, but I really couldn't face it...

I certainly don't mind if La Thuile is a bit cooler than Courmayeur, I was positively sweltering last Friday/Saturday...
ski holidays
Anniepen, spotted another couple of hotels offered by TOs in La Thuile; Piccolo San Bernardo and Dora. The first of these looks quite appealing as it's central to resort, small and has no single supplement! But not many reviews on t'internet...

Don't suppose any snowHead snowHead have stayed in either of these...?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, you will love it there, i promise wink but if you're a niteowl you wont Shocked although i do recall some pretty good nites with myself, corona with lime, malley & battlezone & a few others had all those years back wink & our window sill showing the beers with 6 inches of frozen 'head' complete with bottle top still attached Shocked

you will still have other resorts that will be covered by your lift pass on the La Thuile pass so if you dont mind exploring a neighbouring resort go for it as i'm sure you will know that not all resorts do this & its always a gr8 way to check out another potential holiday destination.

good luck Smile
ski holidays
corona, thanks for the info. I've done the night owl thing in the past but these days I'm quite happy to sit about in a quiet bar with a book or a few buddies. I assume Courmayeur and Pila are also on the La Thuile lift pass (La Thuile and Pila were on the Courmayeur lift pass)...? Although judging by the size of the ski area on the La Thuile piste map I'd be hard pushed to cover that in six days!
snow report
We've stayed in the Du Glacier 3 or 4 times now, and its lovely. It's a family run place, and they'll always help you out with regard to dinner bookings, recommendations etc. The rooms are a good size, and it's quiet. It's about a 5 minute walk to the top of the nursey slope, from where you can ski down to the lifts and gondola. I'm pretty sure most of the TOs go there. An added bonus are the complimentary boot warmers in the boot room!
ski holidays
Hi
Not stayed in Planibel but as previous comments - you really couldn't get any closer to the lifts without sleeping in the gondola station!

We loved La thuile and some fab skiing to be had there.

The only down side was the link to La Rosiere - you have to catch to of the worlds longest button lifts - bightmare and not ideal for young children - however they may well have a new link now but double check.

Sure you'll have a great time wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy