Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oh no - trauma booking for 25'ish… Champoluc or Gressoney

Poster: A snowHead
In big trouble if we get this wrong... mixed group, so as well as wanting to make the most of the area the bunch also enjoy some atmosphere and good après ski too... Difficult making a judgement and while Champoluc looks a better place to stay, would we really miss out on the area by not being so central as Gressoney with it's better lift access ? Is it that big ? I guess we can just zoom around or be sharp on the slopes to make the most of it ?

Maybe some free wine swings it in Champoluc's favour !

Thoughts very welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would go for being more central in Gressoney (La Trinité not St Jean which is a bus ride from the main slopes). The good skiers if they like off piste will want to try Alagna - though I recommend using a guide.
It has some lovely old buildings (as has Alagna) but I don't know anything about the night-life. Probably limited I should think - but the same may be true of Champoluc. You need someone who has stayed there (I've only visited from Alagna).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulmags, Can't speak for Champoluc, re apre..but La Trinte and Alagne don't have any... people go for the big skiing and have an early meet with the guide in the morning, they don't need anything to make the day harder or longer..and that is for the fit full-on Scandis..!!!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulmags, no apres to speak of in Champoluc either. Bad luck mate, but its (as JT, says) about the big skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PP, re Champoluc - not quite true... Golosone, Pachamama and West Road offer some - and there's always Herman's jamming session on a Tuesday in the Castor...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks folks, good input. Now looking more like best being in La Trinite to best access the good skiing. Sounds like a nice place and there must be some bars, even of hotels, where 25'ish people can make some fun..althouigh we're not there to enjoy ourselves ! Thanks again, any other thoughts welcome anyway. Cheers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulmags, I have done just this a couple of years ago for 6 families, and Ski-2 were very helpful indeed. Its a small company with one of the directors, Simon, living in resort in Champoluc. The skiing is indeed awesome, and getting to Alagna and back from Champoluc by 2pm is do-able (although the tiny cable above Alagna has shut since we were there) as is heliskiing off the plateau Rosa via Zermatt and Cervinia. Heaps of atmosphere, a very unique village in that Champoluc is Italian / French, Gressony Italian / German, and Alagna something enitrely different again. I would agree the nightlife is largely self made. Enjoy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers Martin, does that mean it's just over only an hour or so to get over to Alagna ? If that's the case it wouldn't be too tricky to start early'ish, ski over, exhaust ourselves, then ski back ? Probably wouldn't need to do that every day anyway. We'd been swung towards Gressoney but maybe back to Chapoluc ! Thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulmags, Doubt it... haven't been to Alagne since they bulldozed Olen into a piste Shocked rolling eyes so don't know how far down into the village you will go..or need to... but it is a fast 3 stage lift hike to the Gressoney Ridge ar Salatti...then a bomb down to Staffal and then up and over into Chapoluc system...but you still need to make a connection that side...funnily enough...

I think you would have to go some to do village to village in 2 hrs and you would have to KNOW what time the connection in Champolus shuts.

The regime in La trinite is, finish skiing, off to the Dufor at about 1700 for a guide meet for the next day..drinks until 1800 plus ...shower and then dinner... and then a few drinks in hotel until the bar staff makes noise to shut down for the night...
You might find a few bars open late but doubt there will be anyone bar local kids in them....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulmags, We did a burn over to mid station above Alagna, then off piste via small cable car back to Gressony, into Chapoluc for ski school pick up and a late lunch at 2, so 2hrs each way is more like it, and pretty quick skiing at that. An equivalent might be St Martin to Courchevel 1800 or Villaroger to Plagne Centre in 2hrs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all, much worthwhile debate - good skiing it is to be @ Gressoney and we should just generate some good fun apres... Paulmags
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A belated note... we ended up in Champoluc after all and absolutely loved it. Skiing was superb with easy access off piste, a great and wide ranging area and a good base - very Italian. The new lift was an added bonus. Will be back.
Paul
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
what dates are you planning on going?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are planning a trip to Gressoney-la-Trinite on 23 Jan 2011. snowHead A bit concerned whether there is going to be enough mileage for the week for some in our group. Puzzled Having covered all the big resorts in France, Austria and Switzerland, we are in our second year of exploring Italy. Any suggestions for the best on-piste runs as a starter for 10? Thanks!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pc, Hmmm, mileage, what sort of mileage do you want? You can pretty much ski the entire Monterosa ski area in a day if you get a wiggle on.
latest report
You shouldn't worry. We had a big group with some distance skiers and they loved it. Indeed the guy that loves to burn it up is heading back. Sometimes best to pick an area to explore and make the most of that as some bits can be slow. Great off the edge off piste too. Enjoy.
snow report
Just to say we had a great week in Gressoney. Will be back. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy