Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Punisher v Pocket Rockets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I recently got myself some Scott punishers 182cm from a UK shop as they were a very good price and seemed to get very good reviews. The idea was to replace my ageing Salomon pocket rockets, 175cm. First problem with new skis was binding position. Had bindings fitted in Austria, but put the bindings on the frontward freestyle position, despite me saying not to. Didn’t notice in my rush to try them out. Felt very strange and in the soft stuff had to really put the weight back. I soon realised the issue with the bindings, had them moved to the marked traditional position, much better in powder. But now probably too far back as whenever I get any air, I get thrown back. The sweet spot must be somewhere in between. Can never quite get my fore / aft balance right on these skis.

Anyway even with binding right back I’m finding the skis a little sluggish / unreactive for short turns in powder. Stuck ‘em out for quite a while but when out in Austria last weekend with stacks of powder decided to try the pockets again (6 years old and lots and lots of use). As soon as I hit the powder they felt fantastic. No comparison for shorter style powder turns, reactive, fast to turn, lots of feedback. For instance when smashing down a mogul run covered in 30cms of fresh snow I could keep it together on the pockets, the scott's would have been harder work to get the quick turns in.

On piste the scotts are rock solid though did feel like they needed a lot of angulation, good for shorts turns (16m radius) and fast GS style, in this respect better than the pockets, but I don’t mind about on piste performance too much, got other skis for that. Overall a good ski but just just feel a tad unresponsive off piste.

Anyone else any experience of Scott punishers or missions? Is it the binding position? The extra length (only 6cm)? Am I just too use to the pockets? Is it the comparable stiffness of the skis? Maybe the scotts would shine if used for faster GS style turns in powder, when I let the pockets run fast in powder I do feel like I need more float some times. Maybe I should eat less strudel!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I recently got myself some Scott punishers 182cm from a UK shop

...funny that - so did I... but not from a UK shop... some bloke left them with me to 'take care' of them.. Laughing

Oh.. sorry you want some good answers - I will shutup now!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have my punishers mounted boot centre..and they work well in all areas..sometimes I think they might be better further back..and others I think maybe true centre...can't have it all I suppose.

Coming from skis that were of a longer turn radius and didn't really like short turns much I find the punishers are pretty good on the short turns..though yes they and I prefer the long GS style turns anyway.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got Punishers. and strangely enough, I would say they're just about perfect (for me) on a mogul run covered in new snow! Only issue I have is when it gets a bit icier. Just back from Jackson Hole, and skis got delayed so had to hire (something a bit fatter) for first day, and have to say it was like a revelation when I got Punishers back.

I do think they have to be skied really hard to get best out of them in short turns, and you can feel that they take a bit longer edge to edge than what I'd been used to. I've had the odd day/run on them when I've been able to go flat out down anything, but have noticed that if you get tired and sit back at all they're more difficult than most, and they do feel heavy, and slow edge to edge at that point. Maybe if you feel like you are sitting too far back, you are getting that feeling even when fresh?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the feedback. Been reading some older reviews of the pockets. Get the feeling I've been spoilt with the pockets as most reviews say that they're great for short - medium turns in powder, a great tree ski and softer than most comparable skis. I guess this is what I'm use to and probably why the punishers feel, to me, a tad slow in the shorter turns.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy