Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot heel question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead

the above boots are a similar pair to a pair that i recently purchased on ebay. you can see a silver heel part on them

These are the boots i got and you can see the heel part is missing. They are dynafit boots.

My question is would this heel part affect the operation of the boot in the binding?

I think i will struggle to get the heels in the the uk. I have contacted the ebay seller and am waiting their reply

There is also a toe piece missing on one boot!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

just took a pic of the boot in the binding and there seems to be a gap... the boot appears to be floating ...is this ok?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
daveqpr, if you really insist on using those old boots, you'll want to order the US ebay ones at once and shift the heel and toe plates.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dont buy boots on ebay. Lesson learned.

Sounds harsh, is true.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sorted with seller now. They are refunding me ..... So no harm done.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You could try here for heel plates - http://www.skiequipmentuk.com/workshop.shtml
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Max13biker, he may be better trying the british museum
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Replacement toe/heel plates are pretty difficult to find - largely because the boots they are needed for an inevitably some years old and not made anymore. You need to find a shop which has old stock hanging around, or which canabilises old boots for the parts (but of course they will be worn).

We've had this with both kids' boots in the last six months: for the younger we managed to get some replacement heels from Lockwoods, but then the toe-plates exploded (whilst away!) and he ended up with new Roces boots. For the elder we've been unable to find replacements anywhere, but fortunately he's started complaining those boots are too small so he'll be imminently moving into next size.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My boots Nordica Mid-Entry circa 1990 are SO comfortable that I was gutted when the heel bit broke in Les Arcs 3 years ago - had it replaced at a local shop, not too much problem.

Then it happened on the other boot in Tignes 2 years ago - none of the shops had a piece, and I was getting beyond desperate, then at the very last shop we tried we found a bloke who was willing to 'make' new heel and toe pieces for me from a slightly bigger pair. Sorted.

I know though that this time once they go, they go.

You used to be able to get plastic things you stretched onto your boots to protect them (cat tracks?) but I looked earlier this year and couldn't find any, so I'll just have to try to avoid walking too much on concrete in my boots.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The mssing bits are just replaceable wear plates. I wouldn't bin the boots if they fit nicely. If it was my boot I'd just cut some similar plastic to fit, make a paper template to transfer the position of the screw holes. Perhaps use something like plastic chopping board (use a coping saw - a jigsaw will just melt it and make a mess and score a textured 'grip' pattern in the base) - or if you have a shoe/boot repairer nearby you could see if they have any heel/ sole material - maybe vibram soles if you're lucky.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Moss wrote:
The mssing bits are just replaceable wear plates. I wouldn't bin the boots if they fit nicely..

I would.

How much is it worth not to walk down half the piste in your boot liners when the main plastic cracks?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, Yeah, but that would be a different issue not related to replacement of the wear pads. From the pics the scuffing to the plastic is pretty superficial. Cracking would be down to aging of the plastic itself (as I saw a few years back when I retrieved my lurid green Dynafit 3f Comp boots of circa 1990 vintage from the loft, and watched them shatter as I tried them on - those boots were from an era when plastics were less stable and became brittle - friends had similar problems with koflach mountaineering boots of the same time). I'd guess these boots are much more recent, and black pigmented plastics are better at resisting UV degradation. An easy test to see if they are brittle is to tap them with a hammer.
I'll modify my previous comment then Smile If they fit nicely and are in good nick, use them (maybe wear them a bit indoors/try them at your local dry/indoor slope).

skimom I also bought cat track years back but found them flimsy and they wore out quickly
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy