Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gotta cash a train Zurich airport advice.

Poster: A snowHead
Okay we land 8.35pm and our train leaves Zurich Flughafen at 9.20. Will we make it?
Also who has experience driving from Zurich to St Anton, how long any pointers and what happens if it snows heavily interms of access to St Jakob just past St Anton. Driving is the other option if we cannot make this train.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very very unlikely your make that train, 8.35 is what time you land not what time your parked at the gate. Then you have to get your luggage.
What time does the main train leave the Zurich Hautbahnhof ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stanton, 9.40 then next clean journey is after 1pm there is a middle at 11 ish with 3 changes. We really want to get 1/2 a days skiing. So how about driving, what are the negatives and how much is the tolls from Zurich, also looking at weather from 1st - 4th is it likely to have clear roads,,,oh and how long is the drive and are there any heavy traffic spots i.e. Alberg tunnel.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
9.20 would be tight, but not beyond the bounds of possibility if you hoof it and have a bit of luck. 9.40 should normally be perfectly doable, all other things being equal. Who are you flying with and do you know which terminal you'll land at?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
plectrum, maybe get a taxi from the airport to the main train station, that way if you are a few minutes late it will not be the end of the world
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops wrote:
plectrum, maybe get a taxi from the airport to the main train station, that way if you are a few minutes late it will not be the end of the world

Puzzled

The train is almost certain to be quicker to Hauptbahnhof than a taxi and really isn't worth the hassle. We've been home in an hour and half from touching down at terminal E before now - I think the 9.40 should be fine if the flight isn't delayed. If it is, then all bets are off - which they would be anywhere else too
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eng_ch, if plectrum, is likely to miss the train from the airport by a few minutes, it maybe better to forget about it and simply leg it straight to the taxi rank
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As eng_ch said, it really depends if you fligh't on time or not. And how quickly you can get your luggage.

If there're two or more of you, you may want to send one ahead to get tickets and locate which platform the train's leaving from.

I've managed to get on the train at less than an hour. And that's after collecting my skis and drag it along, making a few wrong turns...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I done trains & Zurich airport probably 75 times (min) . Trains to St Anton with changes are no big deal if you really need to get there.

Car rental is Ok but a car in a resort do nothing is wast of money ?

forget the taxi , tains are frequent cheaper & quicker.

I would say that 9.40 would be a no brainer. 1hr from landing to dept from zurich main station juist is not going to happen. Sorry .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
plectrum, I'd say that that 9:20 is perfectly possible, but not guaranteed. I recently flew in at 18:20 and caught the 18:52 to St Anton with over 10 mins to spare (i.e. enough time to buy the ticket, a sarnie and drink and consume it before the train turned up). OK we'd landed about 10 mins early, but that was still about half an hour from landing to being ready for the train. You've got about 15 mins slack on that. Being that early in the morning you should be less prone to accumulated delays. Biggest issue is going to be whether the plane is chocca and so baggage may be slow coming out.

Don't be put off by the number of changes on that 11:13. Sure they're close changes, but with the exception of the Hauptbahnhof change they'll probably all be on adjacent platforms. My train had 3 changes, and I was a bit nervous of one change that was a 3 minute connection but it went like clockwork and it was dead simple to do. On that 9:20 it looks like you're going to have to leg it a bit at Hauptbahnhof, getting from platform 53 to 9 in 7 minutes - doable, but you don't want to hang about.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Platform 53 is a nightmare, all our local trains were moved to arrive there (51-54) about 18 months ago and I find I have to leave an extra 10 mins to catch the train from there if I'm walking to HB from the Central side Sad But there is, I believe, a cut through under the tracks to get between 51-54 and the main platforms without having to go back to the main concourse so GrahamN's "doable but don't hang about" is probably pretty accurate.

stanton, you must have had a lot of bad luck at ZRH then as I would have said the 9.40 was a no brainer as much more likely to be able to catch than not, all other things being equal. I've never, in 8 years, had to wait more than about 5 minutes at a carousel for baggage, but I suppose if there's a delay with unloading then you might not get that train, ditto if customs decide to search you, but that's the same anywhere. I certainly agree about the taxi. A taxi is never going to beat the train to HB so if you miss the train from the airport you've missed the connection at HB. And airport to city centre by taxi used to cost the best part of CHF 80.00 9/10 years ago
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eng_ch, that 9:40 is the time of the train from HB with which the 9:20 from the Airport connects - the "9:20" and "9:40" are the same train.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eng_ch, stanton, getting to the airport train by 9.20 pm seems to be the main problem which is why I thought it worth considering a taxi direct from the airport to the central station, (I have always taken the train from the airport to the central station too), but how long would a taxi take to get from the airport to the central train station? I have never done it and have always taken the train but it seems that if the taxi rank is outside the arrivals you could be straight out and in to a taxi if the ride is 20 mins or so. Just a thought Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, I like the logic but train is 11 mins so i would fancy taxi would be nearer 17 and thus no better.

I guess what I'm forgetting to point out is that we all have ski bags to wait for, yes we can send someone on to get the train tickets and I would hope that we would arrive a little early as this is often the case in flights.

I'm flying with SWISS and just wondering whether land & park by 8.45 will allow us to check out by 9.10 as if so we have done it ....just!

As for car hire it is not particularly expensive depending really on how expensive tolls are and whether there are parking charges within St Anton.

R
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

eng_ch, that 9:40 is the time of the train from HB with which the 9:20 from the Airport connects - the "9:20" and "9:40" are the same train.

Doh! Note to self - must learn to read rolling eyes

plectrum, Swiss will come into terminal A which increases your chances but I would aim for the 9.20 but reckon on the 11.13. The changes shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you hire a car, the Arlberg tunnel alone is € 8.50 each way and then you'll need to buy an Austrian vignette on top and unless your accommodation has free parking, I would expect to pay. The train at least is not at the mercy of the weather
ski holidays
I've made closer connections out of Zurich before, also flying Swiss, so yes it is doable. So long as you're on time, I think it's easily doable.

Ski bags come out of the same chute as all the other luggage in Zurich, so that speeds things up not having to find and wait for the bulky luggage. It's not far of a walk from baggage claim to the train station.

Sending someone ahead to buy train tickets is a good idea. Or better yet, buy them online and print them out before you go. The automats at the station in the airport only take credit cards with pin numbers, but that is not actually noted anywhere, so you keep on trying machine after machine getting refused at each one. Go straight to the counter and buy from a real person to avoid this.
snow conditions
plectrum, I have queued for 10 mins or so getting tickets etc from the tourist office just above the station platform, and it is good few minutes from the airport exit to the train station too with yoyr bags etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy