Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Doing up boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, I know it's been covered before - sorry. But while away last month, an instructor told me that at my level (solid intermediate), I should fasten my boots from the toes upwards, with the first two buckles (i.e the ones on the foot) as tight as possible, with the highest two and the strap less tight. The result? Two runs in abject misery, before revrting to what I've always thought was the correct way. So, just to be sure, here's what I think is the right way:
Feet in boots, flex a couple of times, then loosely do up the top two buckles and strap.
Flex again to properly seat the heel, then tighten the top two buckles and strap - tight enough to need some pressure to get closed - with the second buckle from the top slightly tighter than the top one.
Fasten the bottom two, so that the buckle needs minimal resistance to close.
Ski.

Anybody strongly disagree with that?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had you pissed the guy off? wink Your method sounds alright to me.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your method is spot on. Your instructor is an idiot.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with spyderjon, this topic 'What do ski instructors know about equipment' is an interesting one and in my experience, which i consider to be considerable, they on the whole know less than the public.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A boot fastening thread Very Happy seems a good place to add in my query on a similar subject, I hope the OP won't mind.

I had a good play with fastening my boots last week, I got them to feel really snug on my feet, esp, after a tighten up after 10 mins of wearing and a little walk to the slope in them. However, the liners are compressing more these days and now many of the catches are on their tightest setting. If the boots are feeling OK is there any problem with this, or should I be thinking about moving the catches to their second bolt holes (there are a couple of fitting points, boots are Head 8.8's) so that the boots tighten closer to the start of the catches?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, don't even think about moving the "catches" on your boots to the "second bolt hole" this is a job to be done by expert boot fitters only and will probably require the use of an "alan key" Skullie
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My version:

Help daughter put her feet in warm boots, walk short distance to lifts, carrying her skies while she carries poles, complaining.
Kneel down in front of daughter. Flex a couple of times, then loosely do up the top two buckles and strap.
She flexes again to properly seat the heel, then tighten the top two buckles and strap - tight enough to need some pressure to get closed - with the second buckle from the top slightly tighter than the top one.
Fasten the bottom two, so that the buckle needs minimal resistance to close.
Stand up. Back creaks audibly.
Daughter complains that top buckles are too tight. Kneel down again and loosen slightly, then tighten them to where they were.
Stand up again. Stretch.
Do own boots as daughter skies off without a 'thankyou'.
Ski to chair.
She complains again.
Get to top of lift and repeat.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 25-02-09 21:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, or just do it and see if it works for you rolling eyes If you then close them on the tightest setting once you have done this you may have a problem..... - The buckels are to close the shell not clamp your foot in place - however if they are comfy and you are happy snowHead

I think there may be a bootfitter that is a registered user on here Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, You know what you need to do really don't you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Megamum, You know what you need to do really don't you.

Put Bitrex on the last catch. Aversion therapy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum wrote:
......the liners are compressing more these days and now many of the catches are on their tightest setting....

Time to downsize? wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum wrote:
A boot fastening thread Very Happy seems a good place to add in my query on a similar subject, I hope the OP won't mind.

I had a good play with fastening my boots last week, I got them to feel really snug on my feet, esp, after a tighten up after 10 mins of wearing and a little walk to the slope in them. However, the liners are compressing more these days and now many of the catches are on their tightest setting. If the boots are feeling OK is there any problem with this, or should I be thinking about moving the catches to their second bolt holes (there are a couple of fitting points, boots are Head 8.8's) so that the boots tighten closer to the start of the catches?

Are you sure that they really are on the tightest setting?

Looking at photos of the Edge 8.8, the top catch at least looks to have the same system as the one on my Edge 9.0 boots, where the "rack" can actually be set in any of three positions, just by depressing a catch on the end and sliding them along.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy