Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody Taken Skis When Flying With SAS?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off to try out some Arctic Circle resorts (Bjorkliden & Riksgransen) in 11 days' time. Flying via Stockholm to Kiruna with SAS, Scandinavian Airlines.

Initially a bit narked at seeing that a proper scheduled airline charges 20 euros each way for ski carriage (as well as exorbitant fares despite booking months ago) - and also charges for food on the flight.

Now more narked Mad as (after ringing them up to book skis on) I have been advised that they can't guarantee carrying them and it's on a "only if we have enough space basis." Otherwise the skis will be on standby and travel as and when.

Can this really be right?? Has anybody taken skis with this seemingly joke outfit? If so, what should we expect??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I flew in and out of Norway last week on SAS. No problems, my skis arrived with me and left with me. I have gold status with Star Alliance, which SAS is a member of, so I don't get hasstled to pay more for skis, as I have 4 pieces of luggage included for no cost. But I've flown with SAS fairly often with skis over the past couple of years, and I've never been left hung out to dry. The Norwegian airports in Oslo and Bergen are well equiped to handle ski equipment, as many, many, passengers travel with skis. Flying into Sweden or Finland shouldn't be much different.
Have a good time up north,

Regards,
Skier
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skierguy_75

Thanks for that!!

I did get the impression that the person I spoke to on the phone was actually a bit clueless - eg also asking for ski bag dimensions so that they could work out the cost when the website clearly says that skis are classed as a "small" piece of chargeable luggage at 20 euros each way....So I was (and still am) hopeful that everything would be "alright on the night" so to speak.

If I have any bother I will simply say.....Do you know who I am? That's right!! - a mate of skierguy_75 - and he's got
Quote:

gold status with Star Alliance

Enough said?? wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict, i think that's standard for all ski carriage with airlines, if you read the small print they never guarantee to carry them (just in case they're full and overweight) but I've never had a problem with iit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict, Enjoy Riks - it's special
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, see if you can get to Narvik too (I skied Riksgransen in late May, when there was lots of snow, but Narvik had closed for lack of it). Narvik's mountain is impressive, and only a few miles further on. I'd be really interested in your impressions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1 - I've read that re. charter flight ski carriage but must say didn't know it applied with proper scheduled jobbies. I live & learn.

Steve Sparks - Looking forward to it!! By the way, do you know if there is anywhere to stay for one or two nights near Riksgransen or Bjorkliden? The official website has very limited accommodation with nothing coming up for short stays. At the minute we have (cancellable) accommodation booked in Kiruna and are planning on driving to the skiing each day and putting up with the 90km commute.

David Goldsmith: Following on from the logistics query above, another option I'm thinking of would be to stay at Narvik instead of Kiruna. I've emailed the Kiruna tourist office with the following queries - but no response so far:

1. Is the road from Riksgransen to Norway (ie Narvik) kept open in winter?
2. Is it a hairpin-type mountain road or a decent drive? (Accuweather webiste says it'll be snowy during our stay - and I've also read that the road from Kiruna to Riksgransen is so remote and deserted that you don't really want to be getting stuck on it.... Skullie)

I know you were there in May, not the depths of winter, but any thoughts? Also, did you stay in Narvik? Ideally I'm after somewhere I can book online - only place I've found so far is the Quality hotel at about £160 Shocked for a double room B&B....As I say, the fallback position is to stick with our Kiruna digs. Will happily report back on our trip, which will feature 2 or 3 days' skiing plus a night at the Ice Hotel.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy