Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski school for short breaks

Poster: A snowHead
has anyone ever organised ski school lessons form a friday to a monday ?? all the schools seem to do full week courses from sun to friday. I dont want to pay for private lessons as its for my 6 yr old and at €100 a time its simply not worth it.
I think i will struggle but wondered if anyone had any tips on how I might achieve this ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
backhojo, that seems excessive, where are you going? Shocked
In France, group ski lessons generally run Sun - Fri so private lessons are probably your only choice. We go to Les Gets and currently private lessons are €40 for 1-2 people per hour. Of course, he will get individual attention which will help his skiing come on in leaps & bounds snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
backhojo, Not done so far AFAIK, but I'm considering it for next year. It would be very difficult to organise with the regular weeks though. High price I would think
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
backhojo wrote:
has anyone ever organised ski school lessons form a friday to a monday ?? all the schools seem to do full week courses from sun to friday. I dont want to pay for private lessons as its for my 6 yr old and at €100 a time its simply not worth it.
I think i will struggle but wondered if anyone had any tips on how I might achieve this ?

We skied Fri-Wed last year in Samoens. Before we went I emailed all the ski schools and none of them would do part-weeks as they said they were full the following week as it was half term.

On the Saturday we got the kids private lessons, the instructor said they needed to be in class. We said we were only there Sun-Wed and anyway classes were full. 2 mins later he was on the phone to the office and offering us classes on a daily basis. Problem for us was that after skiing with the kids on the Friday we had realised how much freedom we had not being tied to ski school drop off and pickup, and Samoens ski school area was in a really awkward place so we decided not to bother.

However, the moral of the story is that if you go to the ski school on the Friday morning you might get a class for the Fri, Sun and Monday. Or if you schmooze and instructor who does a private lesson on the Friday then they might squeeze them into the Sunday and Monday for you. However you won't be able to get one on a Saturday if they don't exist!

Out of interest we believe our 7 and 9 yrs old got more out of a 2 hr private lesson that they would have done in 2 or 3 mornings of group 'following'
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski wrote:
backhojo, Not done so far AFAIK, but I'm considering it for next year. It would be very difficult to organise with the regular weeks though. High price I would think

We didn't really understand why the kids couldn't slot onto a Friday session, especially as in our experience a lot of people don't turn up on the last day - and then have the first few days of the following week. Actually, we could understand because it was half-term, but when its quiet I would have thought it less of a problem - as long as you could place them in the correct group quickly and easily.

If each 'day' was bookable individually then the ski schools could be totally flexible, and might end up fuller as a lot of people might be interested in just doing 2-4 days ski school rather than 6.

I guess it only works for intermediates who can ski without lessons on the other days. Beginners need the supervision.

Our ideal for our holiday next week would be to stick em in ski school with a lunch club on Monday and Wednesday to give us two days of 9-2pm to ski on our own. As it is we will probably get them a 2hr lesson on the Tuesday and try and do some of the reds so that we know what we are letting them in for when they come with us.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

We go to Les Gets and currently private lessons are €40 for 1-2 people per hour.

In Les Saisies, you get 2 hours for 1 - 2 people for 50, out of high season. No need to go to all those high price resorts. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, very good value indeed! Until now I hadn't considered LG a high price resort, some of the things I hear from 3V etc make me wince.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lou wrote:
backhojo, that seems excessive, where are you going? Shocked
In France, group ski lessons generally run Sun - Fri so private lessons are probably your only choice. We go to Les Gets and currently private lessons are €40 for 1-2 people per hour. Of course, he will get individual attention which will help his skiing come on in leaps & bounds snowHead

same price - i was quoting for a 2.5hr lesson which is the same as they get in ski school
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
backhojo, we find that some of our visitors struggle with a 2 hour private lesson - depends how fit they are. It's much more "full on" than a class where you're standing round half the time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
backhojo, Depends where you go.

In most N.American resorts, group lessons run everyday and for each level of skier. You can book as many (half or full) days as you wish, starting and finishing (or skipping) any day. In resorts we've used, you are also almost guaranteed that the lesson will run at that level, regardless of the amount of skiers booked onto it.

This means that sometimes you can get a what is effectively a full-day (or more!) private lesson for the price of a group session - especially in the more advanced sessions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimom, But the kids do their exams on Friday - no show, no badge! In principal you are right, but in practise one often ends up repeating yourself and boring the people who've been around all week - works for the'follow me' brigade. Think about this - you have to trust the new student's word on how good they are Shocked How many times do you think that is reliable???
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Unfortunately easiski my experience has mostly been of the 'follow me' type classes - so I really couldn't see what difference one more follower would make.

I have learned over my short time as a snowhead that you offer a different type of class altogether. If you weren't based in LDA I would love to come and have some lessons with you - but LDA is the only resort that I really didn't like (down to a long green road that joined two stations that scared me to death from a fear of heights and edges point of view) although admittedly it was some 20 yrs ago, so probably completely different now, and I probably wouldn't need to use the green run at all.

I guess if you wanted to offer more flexible lessons then a ski school would need to rearrange their days - say from 9-10 they did some sort of 'assessment' - people joining would come along at 9am, people already in a group turn up at 10am. Then at the end of the day you would do 'badge assessment' in the last hour and those coming back later in the week would have a shorter lesson.

So for me, say based on a 4 hr teaching slot I imagine the punters 'diary' would be:

Day 1 Assessment + class
Day x - y class
Day Last class + assessment

The cost per day would take into account the 'cost' to the school of losing so much time to assessments. Or you could have assessments to 'start' on Sat, Sun or Tue and assessments to 'graduate' on Mon, Wed, Fri. With this pattern you wouldn't be totally flexible, but you would cater for the long weekender skiing Sat-Mon, the Sat - Sat normal person skiing Sun - Friday, and the Tues-Friday skier.

Sorry, no nothing about ski teaching - so forgive me if this is total nonsense.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ps. I learned the hard way about the importance to the kids of their badges.

The kids did a one week ESF course in Tignes - it was pretty expensive and I was gobsmacked to find out at the end that I still had to pay more to get them a badge (they got a certificate). Unfortunately I was on a PMT day and decided that it wasn't worth it for a cr*ppy little badge, not realising just how much my little'n (6 at the time) really wanted one - because when asked he said he didn't care and I believed him because it suited me.

On our return his wee mate was showing off his badge at school, mine came home in tears! I have felt like the worse mummy on the planet ever since then as it wasn't really the cost it was the principal - and unfortunately since then our dates have never coincided with being able to put them in class. The only consolation is that he doesn't want to be in class either and now I think if I told him to get a badge he'd need to go every day he really wouldn't want one.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

We go to Les Gets and currently private lessons are €40 for 1-2 people per hour.

In Les Saisies, you get 2 hours for 1 - 2 people for 50, out of high season. No need to go to all those high price resorts. wink

In Tignes you get a private lesson for up to 5 people at a cost of €50/hr Very Happy

At lunch time 12.00 - 14.00 you can do 2 hrs for €84 Very Happy

Cheap as chips wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimom, your suggestions make sense - more or less, but how about the people who've signed up for the week. You have to remember that at the moment that's the majority of students, they are unlikely to be happy at having to wait and/or be assessed again. That would have to be done by the instructors in the individual groups since they know the level of their group .... would they have to go to work early to do this? Would the joining students be prepared to get up to be assessed at 08.30? Would the lifts be running then? Lots of considerations. I've had this happen when I worked for the ESI here and also when I working in Scotland, and you can lose the whole build-up of the week due to one extra joining and not being of the right level for the group. Sad

You really should visit again - very different from 20 years ago, although the green is still there (see yesterday's pic in snow reports). There are lots more possibilities though, as 20 years ago there were long steep pomas where there are now chairlifts (which you can go down on). Very Happy
snow conditions
stewart woodward,
Quote:

Cheap as chips

probably cheaper Laughing
snow conditions
skimom, I'm sure if you went into any ESF with certificate, they would be very happy to sell you the badge you are missing Very Happy

Our boys have followed the ESI system and have little books they get stamped for each level. We have to pay for badges too, at the end of the course but as the price hasn't gone up much (€125 for 15 hours tuition) I'm happy with that. There are never more than 8 in a class and they have always progressed well and had lots of fun.
ski holidays
Just thought I'd mention that I've just had another request for weekend beginner courses. that makes 4 this season - never had any before! Anyone got any bright ideas about how to get all these weekend would-be skiers together????? Confused Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy