Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moving to Canada in summer - Buy skis here end of season or wait til next winter?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just thought I'd get some opinions on this.

I'm moving to Calgary in the summer and so next year plan on doing a lot of skiing.

Currently own boots but due to not skiing enough (have managed ~ 15 days / year for last few years and am now venturing off-piste a bit) have always hired skis.
I'm planning on buying at least one pair of skis but am debating the best time to get them and so thought I'd get a few opinions.

Option 1) Buy here in an end of season sale - With current exchange rates this will be cheapest option I'm reasonably sure?

Option 2) Buy over there after testing some skis (if possible) but right at the start of the season?

Option 3) Buy later in the season and except hiring to begin with / use it as the opportunity to test skis.

Although I'm a keen skier I know very little about ski technology (actually more of a mountain biker currently) so whilst I'm aware of the huge choice I'm not really sure exactly what I want. It would probably be an all mountain ski of some description with a bias towards piste.

What do people think? Is the potential saving in the UK worth the risk or should I just wait....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
either way u r going to be doing a lot of skiing
option 1) u will get a great price here

option 2) as u progress your initial choice of skis might not suit you

therefor sell option (1) and buy option (3)

Have a fantastic life over there
and remember many of us DREAM to be in your predicament
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure about the ski question, but also hoping to move to either Vancouver or Calgary later this year and up my ski days per year dramatically snowHead .

I know a couple of places that do fantastic ski sales during the summer so i'd probably wait and go for those if it was me. i'm sure you know a few place too, and as long as your happy to ski on last season's equipment there are some great deals to be had.

A ski intructor friend of mine is teaching out in Whistler at the moment, and he bought his skis here in the summer because the deals were good and exchange rate poor. plus canada is actually more expensive than you expect, well that's what i found anyway.

will be interested to see what this thread turns up, and good luck with the move!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You won't want a piste biased ski as your only ski once you're in Canada so I'd wait & pick up some skis in ski swaps/ thanksgiving pre season sales
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy