Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going Pas de la Casa

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I am going to Pas de la Casa in Andorra with some friends on Sunday for a week, Does anyone have any good advice for the resort? the best runs? best places for food?

also, whats the snow like as i been reading varried reports!

Thanks

Chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there is a pizza place at the bottom of the Soldeu gondolla that is great (or at least was a couple of years ago)
if you are buying drinks, stick to bottles as they do free hand pours and it is very easy to get wasted without realising how much you are drinking, as one of our party found out.
Ski gear is pretty cheap as a tax haven and sometimes hotels arrange a discount for you at local shops.
if you go for lessons try for ones in the morning as this gives afternoon for fun.

Other things to do are snow mobiles and dog sleding
have fun snowHead

Soldeu links and reports
http://www.geocities.com/daggers_jones/ski2006/index.html

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php?cat=588
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pas de la Casa is quite a sizeable town and there are literally loads of bars, restaurants and shops. Even with the dodgy exchange rate you should find it quite cheap, being duty free helps...

As far as I remember (it was 10 years ago) I preferred the runs over the other side, down to Grau Roig and Soldeu, they're all quite samey on the Pas side, but I don't remember any of them being particularly scary...

The snow is excellent in the Pyrenees at the moment too (it was rubbish when I went in 1999). Enjoy...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys!

what sort of saving should i expect on equipment? i was thinking of buying some skis!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Difficult to say. I remember there being a lot of electronics equipment shops which were a good 25% cheaper than the UK, but this was ten years ago. I don't remember the ski shops being much cheaper and the exchange rate might negate any potential saving. But having said that, they might be starting end of season sales...

One thing I do remember is that however cheap the shops were in Pas, they were a good 10-20% cheaper down the mountain in Andorra La Vella (the capital of Andorra and about an hour away by bus)...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chrisw84, soldeu used to have a couple of shops at the gondolla base. Got some bits there and worked out well. Not a big fan of Andorra LA Vella, but as queen bodecia, says you might get a deal there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chrisw84, you'll have a great time. I bought my board in Andorra and got a good deal, try some stuff out in resort and head to Andorra La Vella (20euro taxi to Pas) to buy it. LOADS of good clothes shops there too

Free pours are never a bad thing snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
whats a free pour?!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chrisw84, don't measure the quantity of the spirit, just pour some in a glass
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chrisw84, If you get over to the El Tarter base, 300m down the road on the right is a large ski and ski clothing shop that does about the best deals on equipment. Some of the stuff is last years and can be 50% off worth a trip and don't forget to barter. wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just got back from Andorra yesterday. Skiied over to Pas a couple of times and the snow over all Grandvalira was fantastic. Pas was the busiest of the areas so try and ski over to Grau Roig or El Tarter if you like it a quieter. Favourite runs in Pas were Jordi Angles and the timed run below fletxa, see if you can do it under 30s
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Theres a really nice easy black over in grau roig called "Mirador", it was my fav slope anyways.

Pas is such a party town, If your going with a TO make sure you do the bar crawl.... its legend! Best night out i've ever had!! Me and 2 mates ended up staying in some lovely french family's chalet that night because they took pity on 3 lovely happy irish lads that couldn't make it back to their apartment. Made us breakfast and everything the next morning! Thanks again to claire and family
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scrubyjoe, Irishman, drink, whatever next. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Need some tips as a solo skier for a DIY round trip to PDLC from the UK please, as in flights or coach, transfers to and from resort plus B&Bs. I have my own gear so i don't need to hire.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cc_7up, I went to Pas in 1999 as a solo traveller but went on a TO trip as I found DIY too difficult/expensive. Flights to Toulouse or Girona were easy enough but I gave up trying to find an affordable transfer. Also I only found one hotel with single rooms and it worked out cheaper to book that hotel via a TO. However, this was 10 years ago, before the Grandvalira lift pass (you had to buy an extension to Soldeu) so things may well be different now. Good luck...
snow conditions
Thanks Queenie 'miduck' Toofy Grin

Are there any snow coaches to the resorts in Andorra nowadays?

Rob
snow report
cc_7up,

There are several possibilities for a bus transfer, depends where you fly to though
If it is Barcelona or Toulouse here is one here is just one:
http://www.andorrabybus.com/web/index.php

There are several others though..

Edit: it just occured to me you might mean buses UK-> Andorra... in which case just ignore me.. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I had a great time in Andorra this year between the 9th and 15th Feb- was lucky to experience a couple of huge snowfalls, resulting in fantastic powder skiing, with waist deep powder on the black runs! There hasn't been any snow since the 12th so I'd imagine the runs are quite packed now but the amount of snowbase is outstanding.

Although not as say challenging as Alpe D'Huez or Chamonix, there are some decent blacks around the Canillo and El Tarter side in particular, and the amount of snowbase at the moment means it is a good time to enjoy them- the Avet from the top of the Tosa del Espiolets down to El Tarter is long and picturesque and the black run in Canillo if you can get over there and back in a day is also good. There's more trees the further right you go, making for more interesting runs.

I would certainly high recommend the ski school- in Soldeu El Tarter there are a huge numbers of quality English speaking instructors- got taught by a mad Glaswegian called Stuart. While the lift passes may be slightly overpriced I would say that the lessons are the best value of the Grandvalira- for barely over £100 you can have 15 hours of group lessons (5x3), and there is little 'follow me', more good emphasis on useful techniques that are logical to practice. The amount of powder was a great opportunity for me to learn the technique required to ski in it! Haven't used the Pas de la Casa ski school itself but I imagine it is of similar quality to Soldeu-El Tarter.
snow report
exactly how long is the transfer from Toulouse?
latest report
Toulouse to Pas De La Casa is about 3 hours I think. Soldeu/El Tarter/Encamp a bit further on...
latest report
queen bodecia, nearer 4 or if theres lots of snow and an avalanche - try 9hrs

Have to say the transfer has never bothered me and I've done it 4 times. JUST SLEEP!
ski holidays
chrisw84,

In a car I do Toulouse-Pas de la casa in a couple of hours...

Very easy now. As of 2/3 years ago, it is motorway/dual carriage-way pretty much to the foot of the mountain...

Edit: obviously if you hit snow as per Nadenoodle it's gonna take a while..
snow conditions
pas is a sh!theap, but Soldeu is great.

of course sometimes a sh!theap is ok, like Benidirm - does exactly what the people who visit want to do - I have enjoyed it a few times (and benidorm) but would always choose Soldeu nowadays.

they dont call it Mandorra for nothing, everywhere you go at night is a total sausage fest!

(edit) sorry, that sounds really negative - bars are busy busy at night but it was strange how little female activity was knocking about, bit like being in a bookies! must be as strange for any lasses as it is for lads? however, if your not that ar sed about the apres, the skiing is fantastic and there are plenty of decent food places.
ski holidays
its not even a sh!theap really - just a bit... rough? rolling eyes
snow conditions
AHH NOW!! Pas is lovely! Not architecturally but the buzz around the place is great. Its a young persons ski town and designed for the cheap (not so much anymore) and energetic. Loads of late night clubs and party bars. If your under 30 or young at heart you'll love it. I will concede that it is not the place for the experienced skiier that likes a bit of luxury and first class food.
ski holidays
Pas is a bit of an eyesore, has to be said. But in amongst the smelly fast food joints and rowdy bars, there are a few nice watering holes and the hotel I stayed in was far nicer inside than out...

I agree with the previous comment about the plethora of noisy young men (often English) which I found quite daunting as a solo woman, but I didn't witness any actual trouble or thuggery...

However, all those comments aside, the skiing is great and with the Grandvalira list pass area, the extent is now huge. Add to that the duty free prices and even with an unfavourable exchange rate, Andorra starts to make sense...
snow report
If you've not yet got your rentals, have a look at www.pasdelacasa-andorra.com where you can get 30% off from Rentaski.
snow report
allready booked from snowbrainer.com ! seemed cheap enough!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i was thinking of buying some blades while i was there, anyone recommend ?
latest report
chrisw84 wrote:
i was thinking of buying some blades while i was there, anyone recommend ?

Yes, left and right Laughing
snow conditions
chrisw84, dont. Unless you are also going to wear a one piece and bum bag.
latest report
I'm off to Pas on 29th March. It will be my third trip there. Its not like the big alpine resorts (I got back from La Plagne last night) but its a great social place and that makes it a great fun holiday if going in a group. There are some decent runs to be found and some that are just great fun to fast cruise (Cami de Pessons epitomises these and joins up near the bottom of Mirador, also our morning warm up was always Pastora which a nice picturesque easy cruiser). If the snow is good, there is some off piste to be had too.

The resort is blues/easy reds and you shouldn't go there looking for death defying blacks. Its a good fun resort and is ideal for mixed ability groups looking for some good night life too.

The transfer from Toulouse is a bit of a nightmare and is a solid 4 hours. At least 45 minutes of this will be spent in a coach stop, owned by the coach companies, where you will be charged fortunes for a cheese or ham roll. Although our TO price includes transfers, we are hiring a car and saving 2 hours on the transfer time. This will also let us board on the afternoon of arrival, getting in just after 12, rather than at 2pm and then walking up to the hotel with all the luggage, queuing to check in, mates then queuing to hire gear... you get the picture. A hire car between 4 of us worked out at £50 each and we can then always drive up to Arinsal for a day, if we want to.
ski holidays
haha ill take notes over the blades! not long now! and snow forecasted for next week! woohoo!!
snow report
not looking forward to the coach, although hoping it will be quiet because of the credit crunch!
ski holidays
Chris Buy food at the airport, it will be much cheaper. Take your iPod and sleep against your coat.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy