Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Lech worth the price?

Poster: A snowHead
red 27 wrote:
It seems that the usual online ski hire companies don't operate in Lech - which makes me rather nervous as to the cost - can anyone shed any light? The one quote I got was an eye watering €165 for 6 days!

Wow! and I bet that was ski's only (no boots) Glad I'm taking my own Shocked Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
-'

€165 is a bit steep. Don't remember paying that much when I went to Lech, even though they don't have ski shops... they have Ski Boutiques.
Was the 1st week of the TO season when I went there. Plenty of snow, and more than cold enough to get nasal icicles, but TO wasn't really up to speed (collected us from Zurich etc. but left us to collect lift passes, which was not exactly a big deal). I think they limit the number of passes issued more than other resorts, but hotel guests get priority over day visitors. I think the longest queue we had all week was when the lifty stopped entry to the lift for 30sec so he could raise the magic carpet to make it easier for young kids in ski school to get on the chair.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27, have never hired but Strolz has the market cornered and as a result will keep prices high. If you have your own gear it will be cheaper taking it as even St Anton's prices are pretty high from what I've heard.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andy wrote:
-'

.... I think the longest queue we had all week was when the lifty stopped entry to the lift for 30sec so he could raise the magic carpet to make it easier for young kids in ski school to get on the chair.

If they do that for doddering old fat barstewards too, then I think I've found 'Home' Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27 wrote:
It seems that the usual online ski hire companies don't operate in Lech - which makes me rather nervous as to the cost - can anyone shed any light? The one quote I got was an eye watering €165 for 6 days!

That looks about right from what I can see Shocked

Sport2000 are coming in at a siimilar price, intersport don't seem to have an outlet there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sigh thanks all, As I thought a cosy cartel, hardly surprising... I will just have to clench cheeks and open wallet. Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27, OR buy some skis! snowHead Laughing snowHead

How about these for £30 more than a weeks rental? snowHead

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 9-03-09 12:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Axsman, NEVER! I will make my own out of tuna tins and guttering before I do something sensible like that!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27, Edited my post to include a link to what looks to me like a pretty good deal snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Axsman, I am a ski snob - I only ski Stockli don't-cha-know darling... Find me some of them for £199 and I'll buy you a slap up meal in Lech's finest restaurant (really) which will probably be another £199 (each)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27,

Great! here you go!

I'm partial to Chateaubriand, with chips. snowHead Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Axsman, dang! Stupid of me to leave out the words "new" and/or "not fenced / stolen". Thank god you don't drink wine! Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27 wrote:
.... Thank god you don't drink wine! Smile

Whatever gave you that idea?

VERY partial to a nice bottle (or three) of Red, but nothing French. Oyster Bay Merlot is my fave tipple, Bet they don't serve that in Lech. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seriusoly though but, if you are facing a bill of £160 quid to hire for ONE WEEK, why not buy, get a couple of weeks skiing out of them and sell for half what you paid? You'll be better off financially even at two weeks, and if you like the skis can keep them for several weeks and really be quids in! snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I love Lech. We go for a couple of weeks every year. This year we also went to Ischgl, and whilst Ischgl is fabulous, you won't get better (imo) than Lech. For an all round holiday experience, I love it. If you want a quieter hotel, try the Hotel Salome in Oberlech. If you want luxury, my favourite would be The Arlberg, although The Post is lovely too but not really worth forking out the extra for.
ski holidays
erica2004, what about ski hire Erica? - any tips or do I have to resort to buying some?

Axsman I may take the plunge and get some at the end of this season - it's little late for Saturdays trip! Forecasts look a bit warm - shouldn't bother me too much on piste but freeride stuff will be a bit crusty I think...
latest report
When we went to Lech a few weeks ago, we hired skis from the shop on the corner of the shopping parade near the Krone bar - can't remember the name but the one that isn't Strolz! I think we paid about 139 euros. My sister-in-law got a discount on her ski hire as she could produce a membership card for the Ski Club - she waited until we had all paid for ours I might add!
snow conditions
Janska, haha, Happy Families! 139 sounds a bit more like it - that's about £120 - still not exactly budget but tolerable. Thanks
ski holidays
red 27, Ski hire this year was 33 euros a day - I didn't hire for a full week so I don't know if there's a discount. Strolz (on the ski slope side of the village) has a reasonable range of current season skis. Pfefferkorns (opposite) have a slightly different range - including Stocklis, same rental price though. I bought a lovely wool beanie hat in there with a real big fur pom-pom. Toofy Grin
snow report
erica2004, You will have the animal rights after you - although possibly they are not that strong in Western Austria. wink

Of course your mention of Stocklis has made up my mind for me - I am addicted to them. Thanks all.

So, Axsman if you see some dude cruising on Stockli Laser SC's dressed in brown cord ski trousers and a pom-pom beanie you will know that your next meal will be steak and chips snowHead
snow report
I knew it was a mistake to mention the fur pom-pom. I think it's only rabbit.
ski holidays
Was in Lech last week, for second time. Love the place, as it has some of the best snow in Europe, and the typical Lech visitor stays home in bad weather. Saturday was a huge powder day, and we had 6 runs off the Kriegerhorn to the village on one of the ski routes, and saw about 5 other people. It was heli-skiing stuff. If you like skiing pow, it's Euro-heaven Smile

Funniest thing for us who are used to lining up an hour early on big pow days in North America, at the main chair in the village at 8.48am on Saturday, with deep powder everywhere, there was ONE person waiting for the chair to open. I took a picture Smile
snow conditions
A cheaper hire option for anyone driving into the Arlberg region from the west is Milanovic at the Sonnenkopf valley station, nice selection of this (and next?) season's skis there last week:

http://www.milanovic.at/

If you're flying Gatwick or Heathrow (home delivery also available) you can hire from edge2edge and take them with you (plus ski carrriage costs):

http://www.edge2edge.co.uk/hire.html
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
... So, Axsman if you see some dude cruising on Stockli Laser SC's dressed in brown cord ski trousers and a pom-pom beanie you will know that your next meal will be steak and chips snowHead

Or I may have to hide in a snowdrift Shocked

Laughing Laughing Have a great time, it looks like the conditions will be ... well no shortage of snow anyway! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
get yourself a job there and avoid the pricey ski hire... 8 days til i head there for 3 and a half weeks!! woop woop, if anyone's out there update the snow reports Smile coool
latest report
I was out there for a long weekend and there is more snow than I've seen in 15 years of going there. The "shape" of the mountain has changed by the snow in places - most notably in the schuss on the way to Zurs from the Rufikopf and outside the Trittalp restaurant.

The powder was great fun Very Happy

I tend to take the view that Lech is no more expensive than, say, Val or Meribel, but it has a reputation.

The powder is left for a bit - but I reckon that most of the more easily accessible stuff is gone in two days after a fall. On the other hand at Christmas I skied on untracked snow 10 days after the last fall(but that might have taken 3 hours of hiking first!).
snow report
clubman, Just been looking at the webcams and reading the reports and forecasts. We Fly on Saturday and it's looking pretty damn Good! (but then so is most of Europe) Laughing

Looks like Snow on Sat/Sun and Blue skies Mon - purrrfic! Very Happy
ski holidays
Pleae give it my regards...I'm back there in a few weeks Very Happy

Last season I managed 43 days there. This season I might be a bit down Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clubman, I'm sure there are many snowHead 's reading this who will sympathise with you hugely snowHead Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Axsman, YAY! I just looked on www.wetter.at and they have it sunny all next week Very Happy Very Happy and they're nomally pretty pessimistic...
ski holidays
red 27, Excellent news! I'll be the rotund bloke on B2's sporting a red nose then Toofy Grin
snow conditions
On the subject of Lech, I'm there ar Easter snowHead and would like to do a days off piste or ski touring. Can anybody reccomend a good English speaking instructor / guide in the town whom I could contact / book prior to arrival? Any advice on best places to go and on costs also appreciated... Thanks...
snow conditions
SnowGod, My son did this last Easter. We hired a guide from the ski school that operates out of the hut located between the main lifts and the river. IIRC, the session lasted from 09:30 to around 15:00 and cost €215 (that, I can definitely remember). The guide took him to the area around and beyond Zug and then they did a fair bit over in the Mohnenfluh area. My son enjoyed it and thought it was well worth while, no doubt helped by the fact that he wasn’t paying for it
snow conditions
jtr, Laughing He sounds a smart kid
latest report
jtr, Thanks for that... do you remember the name of the guide?.... oh yeah... and can you lend me 215 Euros wink
ski holidays
SnowGod, Sorry, I can’t remember the guide’s name, probably due to the trauma caused by having to fork out the €215 Shocked , but the place we used was Schneesportschule Omeshorn.

I've just had a look at their web site and I see we actually got a bit of a bargain wink - the price is now €265 per (5 hour) day.
latest report
Great... thanks.... can I borrow the extra 50!
ski holidays
23.5 hours till we go snowHead (Not that I'm counting or anything Madeye-Smiley )
latest report
Arrived in Lech and was immediately very impressed. stepped off the coach and a very nice man took our bags from us and sent them up the hill. We rode up in the gondola and had a good look at the conditions which in terms of snow depth are awesome! Never seen so much snow in Europe! The car parks have 'walls' around them twice the height of the cars Very Happy

Had a couple of beers in the very comfortable hotel bar, and a nice meal in the restaurant. Staff are friendly and helpful, and all speak English (although they are letting me practice my rusty German on them Embarassed )

Free wifi in the room so able to post this from my netbook. will post pix tomorrow once I've actually skied Toofy Grin

Oh have to mention the boot room, I've been in scruffier dining rooms, it has bookshelves and cushions for Gods sake Laughing

Looking like this could be a fun trip snowHead
ski holidays
Axsman, Lucky b*gger. Having bookshelves in the boot room is a novel idea. wink Have a great trip, I see Admin has reinstated you. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy