Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to Les Arcs route?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're flying out to Geneva on Wednesday picking up a hire car (Swiss side) and heading up to Arcs 1800, whats the best route from to take?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The shortest is to go via N201 to Annecy/Abertville as you wouldn't need to travel the tolled motorway at all. Remember when you leave the main Swiss border you will be almost next to the N201 junction. Unless you waste time to go through Geneva city, after coming off the plane, to cross the border at Annemasse the motorway A40/A41 route is unlikely to be quicker.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saikee, Not the quickest anymore.

Gregd, If you are picking up a swiss car, it already has the swiss motorway sticker so stay on the motorway to the French border then follow the signs to the new motorway for Annecy, think it is A41. Stay on new motorway until Annecy, if you know the town, get off at north turn off, if not stay on until south turn off and follow signs for Albertville round lake. When you get to Albertville take the new bypass. Then join the motorway to moutiers and finally up to BSM. Takes about 1hour 40min legal speed now. From bourg just follow signs to les Arcs 1800 up the hill about another 25min. (French Toll cost 5.30euro I think, very cheap and well worth it.) The journey can be done much quicker late at night the same route, but that's another story.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowcrazy, is the route from Annecy North better than Annecy South? I usually take the south exit and go past the hospital to the lake.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, Yes I think it is quicker but you need to know the town road short cuts. To complicated to explain on here. Needs a bit of exploring. If you want to try it next time. Let me know maybe I can find you a google earth map route round the town roads.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
i think the bus driver did this route on the way back from to Tignes Boot Camp in Dec but I've always used the same route as rob@rar

snowcrazy how much time do you reckon it saves?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowcrazy,

I accept the A40/A41 route has no problem with slow moving lorries as one finds in N201. It could be in the past I managed to travel at off peak times. In busy time N201 can be restrictive as I found out occasionally. I thought there is little to be gained between Annecy and Albertville and the rest from Albertville to BSM is the same regardless of the route chosen. I do experience in recent years getting through Annecy and the lake takes a lot more time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Takes about 1hour 40min legal speed now.

Hmm. Maybe, with good luck and the wind behind you. The stretch down through Annecy and along the lake down to Ugine can take quite a while on its own. Moutiers to BSM can be a pain too. If planning a journey I wouldn't rely on doing it in that kind of time if there's likely to be any traffic at all. Can you really do it in that time legally, snowcrazy?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saikee wrote:
I thought there is little to be gained between Annecy and Albertville

I travel that route a lot on non-transfer days and I think travel time is pretty much the same as staying on the autoroute via Chambery. Hardly ever get stuck in heavy traffic around the lake. I used to prefer the Annecy route simply because of the scenery and greater interest to the drive compared to sticking on the autoroute, but now that the Albertville bypass is open driving around the lake might be marginally quicker. But whatever the difference there's not a lot in it so choose the route depending on what you prefer: slow road around the amazing lake or fast but dull motorway.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Takes about 1hour 40min legal speed now.

Hmm. Maybe, with good luck and the wind behind you. The stretch down through Annecy and along the lake down to Ugine can take quite a while on its own. Moutiers to BSM can be a pain too. If planning a journey I wouldn't rely on doing it in that kind of time if there's likely to be any traffic at all. Can you really do it in that time legally, snowcrazy?

I'd say 1hr 50 to BSM with the new autoroute and Albertville bypass, assuming no particular traffic (around the lake). Used to be 2hr 15 and I think the new roads knocks 20-25 minutes off the journey.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy