Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flat light lens colour ?

Poster: A snowHead
I know this has been discussed before Confused I am looking for the ultimate flatt light lensed goggles . . . one that will give the best definition. I have read up about it, and yellow, hi yellow, hi blue (which is yellow) or purple/pink seem to be the best from what I can gather, but some personal opions from sHs eown xperiences with their lenses would be useful, as my skiing really suffers in poor light.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've the Oakley Hi Blue, which is yellow. It confused us punters, so they renamed it Hi Yellow.

I rate it myself, but haven't tried others for a good few years.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IncogSkiSno, I've tried lots of different colours, yellows, oranges, browns, pinks and clear. None of them stand out as being much better than the others. I now try to focus on keeping centrered on my skis as my tendency is to lean back when the light is flat and that makes control even more difficult.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IncogSkiSno, Absolutely no doubt in my mind the yellow Alpina ( cant remember the model) are the best. They actually seem to improve vision in 1/2 light but do try them first ( Fenlandskier hated the 'yellowness'). RachelQ has same but different frame.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I#m guessing it's called Hi Blue beacuse the yellow tint to the lens cuts out the Blue spectrum.

anywaym i use plain old Persimmon in all conditions, haven't worn sunglasses in 4 years now (last time was the original EOSB) and I can honestly say that visibility may havw slowed me somewhat but that was because of the snow falling, not the goggle lenses
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for Oakley Hi Yellow in VERY LOW light.

Your vision is worth the money.

I have some a-frames for sale with a hi persimmon lense. A beefed up persimmon as it were. They are in buy&sell so research the lense and see what you think. Im not trying to sell you something necessarily but its worth a look.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar I noticed you were wearing yellow lenses when we were skiing with you in Tignes, so you don't think they were any better than say amber or persimon ?

Agenterre wrote:
IncogSkiSno, Absolutely no doubt in my mind the yellow Alpina ( cant remember the model) are the best. They actually seem to improve vision in 1/2 light but do try them first ( Fenlandskier hated the 'yellowness'). RachelQ has same but different frame.

i've never heard of them Confused not sure I'd like the yellowness either, which was why I was kinda hoping another colour may be as good as the hi yellow Oakley's which is what I am leaning toward at the moment.

sps89, I saw your gogs, and very nice looking they are too . . . but they aren't right for me - thanks !

I have Dragons with Amber lenses, which are good goggles, no fogging, but for really flat light I'd like something that will give more contrast.

thanks all - more opinions though please Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 22-02-09 16:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Quattroflex is what we have . Looks Orange here !IncogSkiSno, 's personal Turquoise undoubtedly available !

I think they're cheaper in resort too .. this was just a random 'Google'
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agenterre, from a company called Snowhead ? Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

None of them stand out as being much better than the others.

that's my experience too. In genuinely flat light (the sort where you look down a slope where you KNOW there are big moguls and can't see any at all) nothing seems to help much. Go for a vin chaud (staying centred on your skis, as advised - I suspect a lot of us tend to sit back in those sort of conditions; I certainly do).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, stay centred in the bar is my advice Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, Axsman, well yes, but it isn't that easy is it Confused and when in St Anton it was flat light almost all week . . . now I know St Anton is a mecca for apres skiing, but it would be nice to actually get to ski Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IncogSkiSno wrote:
rob@rar I noticed you were wearing yellow lenses when we were skiing with you in Tignes, so you don't think they were any better than say amber or persimon ?

I think I've tried Oakley's persimmon as well as Hi Blue and a range of others, as well as lens colours from other brands and for me none of them are that much better. Perhaps I was just looking for a magic solution when none exist. Rather than fretting about the seeing conditions I now try to focus more on my basic technique and that seems to have more of an impact on how comfortable I am in flat light than getting stressed about not seeing things. That, and using The Force Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, agree with you there: pretty much anything is next to useless in a pea souper. As long as it's relatively high contrast (cuts out blues) they're fine.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
... That, and using The Force Wink

But do you have any colour preference when it comes to light sabres?
latest report
I prefer a pale pink lens. And I go along with rob@rar about good basic technique being key.
snow conditions
sloop wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
... That, and using The Force Wink

But do you have any colour preference when it comes to light sabres?

Must be blue. Anything else makes you look like a gaper (is that the correct use of the term?).
ski holidays
rob@rar, err.. no! if you have a light sabre you transcend gaper--dom..unless you wear a helmet.... Obi and Ski-walker don't, Vader does ..nuff said..debate over..fini, period..Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I was recently told on a ski course, that in flat light, if you keep your uphill pole in contact with the ground, it gives you more perspective.

Seems to work for me.
snow report
Agenterre, have to concur about the Quattroflex, best all round visbility I've ever had in both low light and bright light. Only problem is my pair tend to mist up when it gets wet (or I've faceplanted too much) and then I can't see a bally thing. But in terms of visbility when they're not misted, then I've not seen anything to beat them.

Bonhomme de Neige, dunno about perspective, but it means you can tell up from down - reduces disorientation a bit
ski holidays
JT, Laughing

Bonhomme de Neige, I do that, by instinct more than anything else, pretty much all the time. Flat light or not.
ski holidays
eng_ch, That's strange .. mine dont mist up at all. Then again I dont spend time in powder and they rarely get removed when I put them on. I have the 'Remtitan' ( or something like that)
snow conditions
rob@rar, glad it's not just me. For some reason I have it in my head that it's something one shouldn't do
ski holidays
Agenterre, think I've got the Spice frame... not entirely sure.
ski holidays
Quote:

pretty much anything is next to useless in a pea souper.

pea souper is not the same as flat light. Completely different, but both unpleasant.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy