Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teaching a gobby 14yr old some piste etiquette or over-reaction?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
dbx wrote:
Next time an intermediate middle aged skier stands cluelessly in the blind spot of a terrain park landing or starts an avalanche over some twin tipped baggy pant wearers by following them off-piste, will everyone be agreeing that it's fine to randomly decide on a random punishment and administer it on the spot?

Yes, I will.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timmaah, deep breaths... Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dbx wrote:
Next time an intermediate middle aged skier ... starts an avalanche over some twin tipped baggy pant wearers by following them off-piste, ...
... happened multiple times to me or people I was with

I wondered where all these avalanches you read about happen; wherever you and your mates are, obviously. Perhaps you could post your itinerary on here so that the rest of us can avoid avalanche danger.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just to stir the pot a bit more,

why has the title of the post changed from 'Teaching a gobby 14yr old a lesson or over-reaction?' to 'Teaching a gobby 14yr old some piste etiquette or over-reaction?'?

Is it because the original title sounded like he was doing this act because the teenager had got on his nerves and he'd 'teach him a lesson'?
Where as 'teaching piste etiquette' sounds as if he did this act for the safety of other piste users?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
manicpb, Interesting observation, as the opening poster hasn't made the edit, if he had it would say so at the foot of the first post Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
2000overdrive wrote:
So, bertie bassett, now that everyone's had a good row about everything from law to grammar rolling eyes , how do you feel about what happened. Have you been convinced that you are now the Judge Dread of the slopes and can move people's ski equipment around the mountain with impunity, or do you think that the next time this happens you'll turn a blind eye on their attitude as well as their fashion sense?

Hmm good question...

My rationale behind posting was to share the experience with the snowheads community - did I do the right thing or not? I was perhaps myself a little surprised by my reaction and that's why I thought it would be good to debate the issue on here and I'm pleased that this thread has caused some comment and debate, although I'm a bit surprised about some of the responses. I'm not going to go respond to each and every point, but will just comment on some of the general points raised.

As far as I was concerned it was the kids reckless skiing that caused the accident, and had he been apologetic and said ok 'fair cop I was being a bit of a idiot' then I would have probably checked again everyone was ok and then let it go. But it was his 'not me' attitude, not my fault that I didn't like and that's what stimulated my actions. It was not his fashion sense, although in the 10 weeks or so I've been here, the most 'anti-social' skiing I've seen in crowded areas tends to be the guys (for it is guys) with the braces round their knees, although I appreciate that the 50 year old in a fartbag can be equally anti-social usually by standing in the middle of a crowded piste. I've also seen friends taken out by other slope users, who have then got up and skied off without checking that my friend was ok.

Because of the arrangement of the pistes (that's why I provided the details) it would have been quite hard for the woman to have seen the kid coming - it was another of those 'crossing piste' type arrangements you get a lot in les arcs. Also the woman / husband would have been aware of the speed / recklessness of his actions - given that there weren't many other people who had witnessed the crash, then I felt it was appropriate to get involved, rather than just ski past.

Was it safe to relocate the ski - yes that particular bit of mountain is very flat, and the piste I moved the ski along is one of the most gentle blues you can find - I made sure it was along the piste the kid was taking, and he definitely saw me ski off with the ski, and where I left it.

Was I right to be the 'judge / jury / executioner' - Interesting point. As a seasonaire I guess you feel a little more 'responsible' to the resort / other piste users than perhaps you do as just a visitor. I'm sure if I'd just been here for a week I wouldn't have got involved, but having witnessed much reckless skiing then I felt it was important to point out to the kid the error of his ways and I have and would do to another piste user if they were 20 / 30 or even older. No I'm not saying that I'm 'piste patrol' nor would I want to be, but if everyone turns a blind eye to anti-social behaviour then you end up with anarchy, whether thats on the piste or off it.

MissRibena raised an interesting point about reaction to crashes - I've seen people come to blows post crash, and I know of another case involving a seasonaire where a punch was thrown and landed following a crash - it's only a question of time (IMHO) when there is a more adverse reaction to a crash, perhaps involving more injury than the crash itself.

Rob@rar raised a valid point - and one that I completely agree with and posted on here similarly - I think the time has come for more proactive 'piste patrollage' with the right to sin-bin passes for a while.

Having seen two helicopter evacuations before 13:00 on monday - not a great start to anyones holiday week, then I hope not to see any more over the rest of the season, but that is unlikely. Would I react in the same way - hard to tell as every situation is different...

Safe skiing everyone!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well... gotta say... I just read this thread from start to finish (which was in istelf quite painful I might add - some posters should read back over it and see what they've actually written.... quite incredible) but anyway.... I think if old Bertie's got any sense he'll keep stum next time he gives some "lairy yoof" a gob full and knicks his equipment rather than invite opinions on here... there's less discussion about far more important issues in Parliament!!! Betcha never thought you'd be up on Human Rights charges in the European Court did ya Bertie... eh .... eh??? Hilarious.... absoultely hilarious.... pmsl... Ricky Gervais couldn't have written this lot any better...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnowGod, as things go I thought this was a fairly sensible discussion. You should read some of 'snowHeads Gold' threads to see just how far off-piste discussions can go... Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thought you'd done a runner on this thread! wink

Thanks for the explaination! Hope you've seen that it is'nt 100% supported but I think most are glad to hear of a story of people standing up for other piste users. I just think the opening post gave two very different ways of seeing it!

Enjoy the rest of the season Bertie!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, Any recommendations for a really good thread??? Wifes not home for an hour and footy's not on til 7.45!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
dbx wrote:
Next time an intermediate middle aged skier stands cluelessly in the blind spot of a terrain park landing or starts an avalanche over some twin tipped baggy pant wearers by following them off-piste, will everyone be agreeing that it's fine to randomly decide on a random punishment and administer it on the spot?

Yes, I will.

Good to hear. If we are really calling ALL people out on stupid behaviour regardless of age, ski type, and pant baggyness, then we are on the same page.

richmond wrote:
dbx wrote:
Next time an intermediate middle aged skier ... starts an avalanche over some twin tipped baggy pant wearers by following them off-piste, ...
... happened multiple times to me or people I was with

I wondered where all these avalanches you read about happen; wherever you and your mates are, obviously. Perhaps you could post your itinerary on here so that the rest of us can avoid avalanche danger.

Well done. You've completely missed the point. Neither me nor my baggy pant wearing twin tipped mates will cut a track above someone off piste and risk triggering a slide on them, whereas more than once a perfectly respectable middle aged intermediate skier has done exactly that and reacted in much the same way as the "gobby 14 y/o" did when told off.

As for avoiding avalanche danger, it's easy: Stick to the groomers, or realize that most slides actually happen very close to the piste and the best you can do is minimize the danger with the proper gear and a bit of education.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy