Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teaching a gobby 14yr old some piste etiquette or over-reaction?

Poster: A snowHead
So there I was out today pushing it pretty hard down the bottom of bellette (Les Arcs - Paradiski) when a couple of french lads on their twin-tips with their braces hanging round their knees whipped past like I was standing still - hmm their not in control I thought, and then I proceeded to back off as it gets busy and flatter at the bottom of this run. Funnily enough when I turned the corner one of the french lads (trying to make the right turn toward 1800 onto Maitaz, if you know it) hadn't slowed down and trying to take the corner at speed piled hard into a french lady sending them both flying. Now this part of the resort (bottom of the derby) gets a bit flat and is quite a 'busy spot' as you have 5 pistes arriving, a lift up and a choice of 3 possible runs down from it - so you often get people crossing, slowing and poling along the flat bit, so you need to take it slowly round there, as there's a lot of chance of crashes.

Luckily the french lady was unhurt but a bit shocked and her husband proceeded to give the kid a bit of a bollocking in french, to which I had to join in (in english but was understood) as the youngster had just piled in to a tricky zone at top speed. The kid didn't apologise to the lady or her husband and then started to get gobby with both the husband and myself, saying things like "it wasn't my fault, she just turned in front of me" and wouldn't have it when we both told him he was going too fast and he needed to slow down.

Well I found a away of slowing him down - I picked up one of his skis and skied off down the piste with it - saying "this will slow you down a bit" went 400yds down the piste and left it propped up obviously against a artificial snow cannon. Perhaps it worked as when I saw him later that day from a lift then he was going quite a bit slower?

Fair or over-reaction?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bertie bassett, Laughing Laughing Laughing Brilliant!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More than fair. Hopefully it will teach him a bit of consideration. Overreaction would have been you trying to wrap the ski around his head. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett, BRAVO You should have handed his ski into a lift station and told him he could collect it from there Twisted Evil
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bertie bassett, WELL DONE!! Very Happy Very Happy Next time take it to the nearest pisteur's hut. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bertie bassett, superb, wish I'd been there. Will have made him think about his actions even if he was a gobby so and so at the time Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Excellent. Spot on reaction Laughing Laughing Laughing

Well done Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bertie Bassett, you are a star!!Did you perform this on your skis, or snowboard?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett, Love it ... but next time deposit with a liftie which will then become even more fun.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds reasonable to me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hahaha - classic move.

Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bertie bassett, so they didn't harm you or actually interfere with your run, plus the hubby of the 'injured' lady was there to sort it out in native lingo so there was actually no need for you to get involved? Just seems a little OTT considering you weren't part of the incident. Chivalry is great and all that but I think it's a slight overreaction.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bertie - fantastic well done! Think I have to disagree with Specialman - with a 14 yr old with attitude French couple probably relieved for a bit of support, even from a Rosbif!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Specialman, You're outvoted!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
top marks!
ski holidays
easiski, c'est la vie. If we all had the same opinions life would be pooh Smile
latest report
bertie bassett, nice one. Theres been a few fatal accidents from crashes this year. You might save him from learning a harder lesson. well done.

Quote:

If we all had the same opinions life would be pooh

Specialman,
Very true variety is the spice of life, but the jelly baby got AIDS from mixing with allsorts, Bertie Basset if you cant be good be careful. Very Happy
latest report
Nice call... we all need to take pains to do the right thing at times.
snow report
I agree that the husband probably appreciated the support. When I had a go at a lout (for spitting on top of peoples heads from a chairlift at New Year), I would have really appreciated it but I was the only one who saw what he had been doing Sad
Wish I could have relocated his board though Laughing
latest report
Lou, With him still on it...? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots, naturally Toofy Grin
latest report
bertie bassett, Too fair, if I'd got it, it may have been 'relocated' to BSM. Totally with you on that.. Fair play.
ski holidays
So you did'nt actually see the accident and you don't know who was to blame? Was the kid really 14ish? If he was I think it's a major over reaction, I bet you would'nt have picked up skis belonging to a 30 year old rugby playing bloke!

I presum at the time you did'nt think much and just went into help and reacted on the moment but even you must be thinking did I go to far otherwise you would'nt have posted on here. Either that or you just want everyone to think how brave you are! I think watching over the incident to make sure fists did'nt start flying and maybe voicing your opinion would have been the better option. To conduct a trail, make a verdict then administer the punishment yourself is over the top, who made you the high court judge for the day?
ski holidays
manicpb wrote:
So you did'nt actually see the accident and you don't know who was to blame?

If as bertie bassett says the kid said quote "it wasn't my fault, she just turned in front of me", then the kid (although he doesn't realise it rolling eyes ) is admitting that he was at fault according to the FIS Safety Rules
snow report
manicpb,

Quote:

who made you the high court judge for the day?

The lad deserved all he got, maybe if someone had shown him consequences earlier in his life he wouldn't be growing up to be such a thougtless little sh*t. Thankfully there are still some decent members of society willing to stand up for what is right. High court judge? Me thinks you are the one guilty of over reacting wink
snow conditions
Don't disagree with the sentiment.....probably the lack of humility and apology warranted a lesson being taught.

You would expect the husband to take the missus' side come what may...

Your call, you were closest and cocky kids need a check here and there, IMV
snow report
If you take someone else's property without consent you are causing a legal offence, if the OP could not get his point across in French I don't see how he could understand that he said "it wasn't my fault, she just turned in front of me" and that he is prob taking the wild French talking and arm waving as a confrontation, the lad might have been trying to explain and apologise. If I was in a situation where I was in a collision and was trying to defuse the situation I to would give anyone poking there nose into the situation a mouthful! If they then proceeded to touch my property there WOULD be a situation!

I have helpped apprehend a shoplifter in the past and am the first person to give assistance to people who fall over(at home or on the slopes) but I won't try to give out punishments where I see fit!

The OP obviously has a doubt in his mind if he went to far due to him asking "Fair or over-reaction?". All i'm saying is I don't think he would have done it if the offender was older and could stand up for himself for which I think it is a slightly over reaction!
snow conditions
bertie bassett, sorry Embarassed in my estimation probably an over-reaction. Not because if it happened like you describe the kid didn't deserve it, but because you styled yourself judge, jury and executioner. I'd guess your act was illegal. Helping to apprehend a suspected criminal is one thing, punishing him yourself is quite another. Vigilantism on the ski slopes is as slippery a slope wink as it is anywhere, and shouldn't be encouraged not so much because it isn't obviously fair, as because if countenanced, others at the extremes of opinion and behaviour may bizarrely interpret situations and mete out disproportionate punishments.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm often walking behind groups of teenagers (and sometimes adults) who drop litter on the floor. Now, at risk of being knifed or gobbed on, rather than embarass the filthy being I polietely stop them and tell them "excuse me, I think you've dropped something", they can then go through the whole facade of pretending to have not noticed and thanking me for helping them retrieve their "lost" crisp/fag packet etc. It's a shame that we have to bend to suit them. Hadbertie bassett, snapped the lads ski or punched him then that would have been a step too far, but IMO inconveniencing the little twonk was sweet justice and a lesson well taught.
snow report
If the offender had been larger and able to stand up for himself and still skiing like an ar$e h0le then the accident probably would have resulted in offical intervention anyway, eg a blood-wagon. As an adult you have a moral imperative to defend minors, likewise give them a b0ll0cking if their "responsible" adult is absent.
snow conditions
HH, Well said.
snow conditions
If more people took these offensive jerks to task we might have a much more enjoyable time going skiing. I have hit people (with a stick) if they ski dangerously and close - if they're close enough to ski into my stick they're too close, and I don't have any problem with size. It's leaving all this anti-social behaviour (and that's what it is) alone that makes the problem worse. I wish I had the time to do as bertie bassett, did. Laughing

manicpb, Why do you assume that bertie bassett,'s command of french is not fluent? I have no idea, but some brits can speak other languages. rolling eyes
ski holidays
bertie bassett, Pick on someone your own size. You played judge, jury and executioner in an incident that you didn't even see.

No big deal though - 14 year old boys are never happier than when causing chaos - he will have forgotten it in a heartbeat.
snow conditions
Nope, I imagine he is dining out on the story... hope he's not there for the season bertie bassett, and doesn't have too many mates on the lookout for you. I'd ski in a different outfit for a while Laughing
snow report
bertie bassett, have to agree...a reasonable, if rather unusual and/or brave, reaction. Not something I would repeat myself...most 14 years olds are a good foot taller than me! Sad

manicpb wrote:
If you take someone else's property without consent you are causing a legal offence...

As far as I am aware there isn't a law for TWOC-ing skis in England or in France. Without any intention to permanently deprive...no offence.
latest report
Wow. Under reaction. You're supposed to take off his ski and go way off piste to some 50 foot cliff 50 degree terrain, drop the ski in neck high powder far in the snow, with no visibility and say once he catches up to you and by now the clouds will have cleared away, and to the amazingment of the kid, you will be right next to a nice little warm gondola. Then you say:

"Next time, there won't be a lift."

Now you just have to find the terrain like this......
snow conditions
HH,
Quote:

I'm often walking behind groups of teenagers (and sometimes adults) who drop litter on the floor. Now, at risk of being knifed or gobbed on, rather than embarass the filthy being I polietely stop them and tell them "excuse me, I think you've dropped something",

I've tried that - it didn't work. I was leaving the Huntly Nordic Outdoor Centre - where I train (rollerski) regularly. Its a really nice location by the river Deveron, and the local youth and not so youth like to park up in the carpark and eat their fish suppers. One had parked right by the waste bin, yet as he drove off he dropped a polybag full of rubbish containing the remains of his fish supper out of the car window. I shouted "Oi you've dropped summat' his reply was 'its OK its just rubbish' Evil or Very Mad . I had to bin it for him.

Mind you, you have to be carefull as I was complaining generally about how useless people were at putting there rubbish in the same bin. One of those bins with two letter box slots to put the rubbish through and there was rubbish scattered all aroundit . Then I saw a crow or rook land on the bin climb in through the letter box slot, grab a bag of rubbish and pull it out through the slot and break it open, scatter the contents around looking for food!!!
snow report
fairfield_munchkin wrote:
manicpb wrote:
If you take someone else's property without consent you are causing a legal offence...

As far as I am aware there isn't a law for TWOC-ing skis in England or in France. Without any intention to permanently deprive...no offence.

Beat me to it - no theft as no intent to permanently deprive, only remove to a more inconvenient location.
ski holidays
fairfield_munchkin wrote:

manicpb wrote:

No, but it's a good defence for aggrivated assault! wink
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
manicpb wrote:
So you did'nt actually see the accident and you don't know who was to blame?

If as bertie bassett says the kid said quote "it wasn't my fault, she just turned in front of me", then the kid (although he doesn't realise it rolling eyes ) is admitting that he was at fault according to the FIS Safety Rules

You cant assign blame on that basis without knowing if the lady had just started off or possibly joined from an adjoining piste.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy