Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

fat ski speed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
recently aquired a new pair of icelantic pilgrims which i subsequently waxed with that lime stuff from spyderjon.

teaching last week in the alps i noticed my students going past me when skiing straight on the flat bits - on their rental skis.. Shocked hmm.. that never used to happen with the old skis (B5 & Blackeyes). I used to wax them with some orange coloured wax i've had for ages, no idea of the make, but the skis were quick. I know a fat ski isn't really meant to be a piste burner, but are they generally slower going straight? (they couldn't catch me carving down the hill..) Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was overtaking lots of people on the flats with my 90mm skis waxed with spyderjon's green wax earlier this month.... (how heavy are you?)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
riverwhy, Wax fully with a Zardoz underlay... scrape and brush. Zardoz again each day... I glide past almost everyone I ski with.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarpa, zardoz underlay? explain - prep base then zardoz then wax then finish off?? hmmm
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
riverwhy wrote:
but are they generally slower going straight?

Compared to what?

Compared to a thinner ski with the same surface area and the same range of downpressure into the snow at the same rider weight (meaning the lengthwise camber is adjusted), my answer is yes.

Compared to a thinner ski with smaller surface area (higher downpressure into snow at the same rider weight), my answer is 'Depends on the nature of the snow'.

Compared to a thinner ski with the same surface area and a wider range of downpressure into the snow at the same rider weight (meaning there are highly weighted spots and not very weighted spots), my answer is 'the fat ski is faster on most snow'

Notice that making a ski thinner in the waist without adjusting anything else makes the area lower AND makes the ski softer, so the above discussion is required.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

how heavy are you?

12.5 stone..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
riverwhy, too many variables to say but the Zoom Lime is pretty quick in all but the extremes of temperatures.

Most likely reason is simply that new skis aren't normally that quick due to 'fuzz' on the base etc from the factory grind & need either proper prepping or skiing 'in' to get their speed up. This is exaggerated on wide skis.

Another possibility is your lateral alignment, ie are the skis really running flat? Any issues here show up more the wider the skis are.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
barry, Put a Notwax coat underneath a decent waxing. Do a good scrape and brush. Then wipe the base with Notwax each day. Works for me.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, Actually... you may have hit the nail on the head. Prep the base. Quality shows.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A ski instructor needs to be told this ??
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
666 wrote:
A ski instructor needs to be told this ??

What about being a good skier is involved in being a good ski tech?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks for the other stuff guys.. this is the first time i've been on 90mm skis.. (it's not part of the qualification requirements 666).

i prepped them in the same way as i've always done with the B5's, then more recently the blackeyes, the pilgrims were definitely slower than both, only differences - the skis, and the type of wax
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
riverwhy, I've a number of racer customers who use Lime Uni as a training wax & get very good times with it so I know that the wax is fast. It is also very durable so for a ski to be quick it needs to be well scraped off & brass brushed out. Were the 07/08 Pilgrims that you bought still in their shrink wrapper? If they've been open for a long time the bases could well have dried out quite a bit. I'm pretty sure it's 'cause your new bases are a bit fuzzy (which is not necessarily visible to the naked eye) so I'd recommend some heavy brass brushing & fiberpad passes (say 50 of each) & a few more wax applications.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jon

they are 09 skis supplied with bindings fitted - so no shrinkwrap - but i doubt they were out of it long.

i'll give it a bit more elbow grease with the brass brush etc... Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa wrote:
barry, Put a Notwax coat underneath a decent waxing. Do a good scrape and brush. Then wipe the base with Notwax each day. Works for me.

i do everything but the first part ie a coat of notwax before the wax. must try it
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy