Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would it be fair to compare 3 Vallees with Sella Ronda?

Poster: A snowHead
The comparison below is just to look at some facts as these are the world's two largest linked facilities.

3 Vallees

Total length of piste : 600km
No. of lifts :200
skiable lowest level : say Courcheval 1300m
Skiable highest level: Say Cime de Caron at 3200m
Surrounding resorts : Courcheval, La Tania, Meribel, St Martin de Belleville, Les Menuires, Val Thornen
Geographical lay out : Almost in a straight line format of one valley after another.

Sella Ronda

Total length of piste : 510 km
No. of lifts : 205
skiable lowest level : say Ortisei at 1236m
Skiable highest level: Say Punt Rocca 3250m
Surrounding resorts : Ortisei, Alpe de Siusi, Val Gardena, Alta Badia, Arabba, Val Di Fassa
Geographical lay out : Has a cirular ciruit of about 40km allowing piste users to go both clockwise and anticlockwise.

I suppose depending on the time of the visit the enjoyment can be different even to the same resort. It would be fair to say an unbiased view can only be formed after visiting both places to sample sufficient numbers of skiing days, as an average skier, say doing 30km a day, will need more than two weeks just to sample each facility. It is also possible that the personal taste may drive a piste user towards one and not the other and a meaningful comparison is simply not possible.

The size of a facility does not determine the enjoyment of skiing. It just provide more variety of runs and chairlifts. Beginners and early intermediates are unlikely to be benefited from big resorts as they are unlikely to have the skill/experience to make use of the large area.

Therefore would a skier/boarder serious in the sport be happy never to sample these two largest linked restorts? or should these two facilities be excluded in the must-do list without giving them a trial?

I got the feeling many would mark them as "been there" & "done that" and continue to search for a more rewarding skiing elsewhere.

I suppose many SHs would say Porte du Soleil, formed by the French Les gets/Morzine/Avoriaz/Chatel and the Swiss Les Crozets/Champery/Champoussins/Morgins/Torgon/Abondance, with a massive 650km piste should be part of the comparison. However the Porte du Soleil isn't very well linked by chairlifts and somewhat disjoined, especially in the Swiss side. My impression is that it is not in the same league as the other two, as waiting for a bus is different to queueing for a cable car, even though we have to unclip the skis in both cases. It would be educational to hear from others' views.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry no comparison
Which is best depends on your experience of both and what you are after from your ski holiday
If some one offered my a free trip to ether in perfect conditions I would have a preference
Im sure other snowhead with the same offer would opt for the other area
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm a huge fan of the Dolomites our kids all started out there as tinys and have great affection for the place. However, in my view the skiing is more challenging, varied and interesting in the 3vs but, the Dolomites are nicer in every other way. The food, the people, the views, the vfm etc, etc. Make what you will of that. wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd be very happy to visit them both every year, except that would mean missing out on Austria and all sorts of other interesting places...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've enjoyed holidays in both, but returned 3 times to the Dolomites, so I guess I've already voted with my feet.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
luigi,

Just to be fair is luigi a Italian name?

Mollerski,

I concur with your experience too. Thus to an intermediate who like easy cruising on red and blue then Sella Ronda has that appeal. When one has more experience/skill and only interested in off piste and challenges then 3V will have an edge, but then real experts may find 3V too tame.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Would agree with Mollerski, . I love both areas, but for all round pleasant holiday experience the Sella Ronda and adjacent areas win, but for sheer piste-ski perfection the 3V cannot be beaten in my experience. Do both!

snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scenery in Sella Ronda is awesome.... Skiing in 3 Vs is awesome.... Beer cheper in Selva Laughing !!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've skied in all three valleys, though not a huge amount (about 3 weeks in all, though some of it was a good while ago). I'm not a huge fan - somehow it just seems to lack character. I did spend a couple of hours skiing one day in Cortina, in the middle of a short holiday in the area (linked with a few days in Venice) with non-skiing friends. So I know nothing about the skiing, but I loved the area - not least because of the huge return I got on the modest investment I'd made in learning some Italian. People understood me, I understood them - just on a very simple level, but indispensable when we stayed in a small family hotel where they had never had English guests before and spoke no English at all. A real adventure, staying in a hotel where all the other guests were Italian families (most 3 generations) and the scenery was the most fantastic mountain scenery i'd ever seen. I also loved the fact that you just drove a few miles to a different valley, stopped for a coffee, and everyone spoke German. It really felt different. If offered a holiday in the 3 Valleys or the Dolomites, I'd choose the latter. And swot up my few words of Italian again!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hm, a bit off topic but I thought Kitzbuhel was big?

56 lifts and 168 km of pistes I thought 5 minutes ago was HUGE........... dot dot dot....... and another dot dot dot...... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skiking4 wrote:

56 lifts and 168 km of pistes I thought 5 minutes ago was HUGE........... dot dot dot....... and another dot dot dot...... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I think that's part of the issue. 168km vs. 500-600km... but so what?

Some of us are not piste cruisers so beyond a certain size, it stops being "matter". We can only comprehen "size" up to a certain level.

I did 3V last year at EoSB. While it's a novel idea to have lunch at a far away valley. It's one of those "been there, done that" thing. Though once done, had relatively little appeal for repeat.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skiking4 wrote:

Once you get above about 150 Km, you are not likely to do it all in one week, unless you spend all your time just ticking off the runs, so who cares what the total is?

For a beginner skier, 40Km may well be enough for a week, provided at least half that is blue runs (or Green in France/Spain/Andorra/North America).

As you get more experienced, you will probably want at least 60Km to not be bored by the end of the week, and many people would prefer at least 100km.

But the only real benefit of 600 km rather than 200 km is that you can keep going back and still find runs you haven't tried yet. On a single trip, there is little benefit IMO.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skiking4,

To put it in a perspective here are the places I know of

Tignes+Val D are fully linked and have 300Km
Megeve/Rochebrune/St Gervais, Flaine/Carroz/Morillon/Samoens, Serre Chevalier, L2A, LDH all are 200+km piste domain
Milky Way of French Montgenvre and Italian Sauze D'olux/Sestriere/Sansicario/Clvaiere is a 400km domain integrated together.
Les Arcs + La Plagne are linked (just at one point) and each has about 200km
Ski Welt, neighbouring to Kitzbuhel, has 250 km
Saalbach/Hiterglemm/Leogang has 200km
At Anton/Zurs/Lech claims 265km but only Zurs and Lech are linked while St Anton has own area.
Ischgl has 235km and is fully linked with Samnaun of Switzerland

Kitzbuhel has long way to go yet.

It is true a big resort has little impact to the beginners and early intermediates who would not go outside a small part of a big resort, say one booked accommodation in La Tania and not even try to ski to Courchevel or Meribel, let alone the rest of 3V or far away to Orelle. However it is only a matter of time that every skier must one day be able to enjoy most of the runs indicated on the piste map and paid for by the ski pass. Thus the freedom of being unleashed in a 600km facility is not the same as one with 150km piste. In this respect if one has the skill to travel freely around a 600km facility but has never been to one then I think his/her skiing is not yet fulfilled.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

However it is only a matter of time that every skier must one day be able to enjoy most of the runs indicated on the piste map

saikee, I would disagree.

By the time one is able to enjoy all the runs indicated on the piste map, one should also be able to enjoy some off-piste outings. So a resort with "only" 150km but plenty of off-piste would have no less appeal than one with 600km.

Lets face it, most (if not all) resorts have off-piste terrain many times of its piste maps. So it doesn't take 600km of marked pistes to enjoy 600km of skiing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dolomites everytime unless hooking up with some pals for the back of VT and the like...

The 3V is almost depressing by comparison altho an area that big must have some good points.... which I have mentioned...otherwise avoid like the plague IMV
snow report
Been to both, seen most of the sella ronda(4weeks) not all of the 3v's(1week) .
My parents used to take me to the "big" french area's when I was small. les2alpes(6weeks) alpeduhuez(4weeks) went with friends to france on a number of occasions and places(7 weeks). And finally spending quite some time near the pre-alpi(parents of my girlfriend) did a bunch of daytrips to various dolimitisuperski(3weeks? total)
But for the past 5 years I did try some other countries and especially italy did win my hart. And Switzerland being a good second. My italian french and german is all lacking although my Italian improved a lot this summer.

The whole experience has just more to it. I did a super cheap last minute saint sorlin d'arves in the end of april and while the ski/snowboarding was ok(did a lot of ofpiste) the town the people the atmosphere, was lacking. Compared to, dare I say, any italian village, ok maybe not any since sestriere was lacking some vibes too just before Christmas.

In any case the sella ronda is a very entertaining place to be, to ski and board. And after and during you can still enjoy Italy. In france you are put in a very efficient machine which lacks the feeling of being anywhere.

Then ski wise for 3v's you have 3 parallel valleys next to each other and the sella ronda are a bunch of towns around a rock which means you have always 2 directions you can go.
Which is something I prefer.

I know where i am going in the end of december to somewhere in januari. And considering getting a season pass.
snow report
interesting views, having been to La Tania 6 times and considering myself a fairly ok skier, I've found plenty to ski inc some decent off piste, and every time I go I see new lines that could be done. I've also been with complete beginners who have managed la tania to 1650 and back, which they consider a great achievement......something which may not be possible in 'smaller' resorts...
snow conditions
They are very different.
The Dolomites have the most spectacular mountains I know, full of vertical rock faces and jagged pinnacles, and that is what makes every run different, rather than the skiing itself. I don't ski pistes much but I agree that there didn't seem to be all that much challenge in the Dolomites. However, though there isn't as much off piste as in the 3 valleys there is still plenty and much of it is challenging (see below), and most important - very few people ski it, which is great.

snow conditions
Quote:

In france you are put in a very efficient machine which lacks the feeling of being anywhere.

In the 3 Valleys you are rather in that position. But France doesn't equate to the 3V. Comparing the Sella Ronda to the 3V is not the same as comparing Italy to France. wink There's plenty of France that feels like France. But I don't think there's any other significant ski area which compares with the Dolomites for scenery. It's one of my regrets that having bought an apartment, I can't readily justify/afford going off to explore the Dolomites further. As somebody says, there's just much more to it - not just an endless series of pistes joined together.
ski holidays
I undersold the 3 Valleys (actually 4 valleys, or more if you include off piste). There is so much skiing available and in particular so much more off piste, with widely differing character. The rock faces in the Dolomites restrict the upper slope skiing, so most of the skiing is hemmed in on the lower slopes, but conversely make the places where it is possible very challenging. However there is some very good tree skiing (which 3V in general lacks) and there are exciting possibilities if you are prepared to walk up, and have a guide (the upper photo shows one of our group as we climbed over into a valley not normally skied and with no tracks).
snow conditions
snowball, on the other hand you remember what our guide Chris said - he much preferred Espace Killy to the 3 Valleys for offpiste...
latest report
horizon, I think I do too, but I'd say 'prefer' rather than 'much prefer'. They are both very good areas.

PS the skier in the couloir is horizon (photographed by me using his camera). He is being videoed by Zeb, our guide, who took the other photo (I love the puff of cloud). I'm not sure which of us the skier much further down was.
snow report
Im in the fortunate position to be spending a season in Italy. It will be either in Arabba or Sauze D'olux. Ive never been to Italy before, let alone skied there. So saying that im excited is a mild understatement. Very Happy
snow conditions
Twitchy87, twitchy with excitement? wink

I'll get my coat...
snow conditions
... or do you need more stable skis?

Try Arabba for the skiing (marginally) and and spectacular scenery (or Sauze if you want nightlife)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 9-10-09 19:13; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
I can't say that huge quantities of piste particularly attract me to a resort any more, though I have been to many of the larger ski areas including 3v.

I have never been to the dolomites wither summer or winter and think they are one of the must do places that I have not done, the scenery looks spectacular in all the pictures. WHat has put me off booking a dolomite holidya are several perceptions that I have. Don't know if any snowheads can tell how accurate they are.

1) An erratic snowfall, the dolomites are generally reported as having lower snow depths and more varied falls than elsewhere making me feel I wouild be more inclined to boook last minute than well in advance. Having said that I was thinking of going next feb but was overruled by others who want to return to Austria.

2) Reports of easy piste and difficult off piste. Most reports of the dolomites talk about all the pistes being pretty tame and much of the off piste being fairly steep. Generally the more difficult off piste I will only access with a guide and though I enjoy easy pistes I like a little variety and some more challenging stuff particularly if the majority of off piste stuff can only be accessed with a guide, I only ski with a guide on limited holidays and not usually with the family.

3) Bloody sight more difficult than elsewhere to access from Scotland, don't seem to be too many flights from here anywhere nearby.

4) Language, minor point but I have nto aword of Italian and have mainly been to thebits near France where I seem to get by with a little French. I kniw a bit of German is spoken but my Germanis farily limited too.

Having said all that the combination of beautiful scenry, Italian food decent prices mean that it is an area I have to visit just a matter of when.
snow conditions
snowball, Is that the slopes of the Sassolungo in your photos
snow report
riverman, The second is a variant on the start of the Val de Mesdi which involves climbing the Piz Boe from the Passo Pordoi cable car then skiing slightly down on the right of the ridge ahead and walking a very short way back up to a dip in the ridge. At the foot of the couloir you join the normal Val de Mesdi.

If you take the big lift at the Bottom of the Val de Mesdi (close to Colfosco)- which is part of anti-clockwise SellaRonda- it arrives up above the Passo Gardena. We then climbed up to the right: that's what we are doing in the first photo. It took us over into the Vailunga Langental. (I'm just reading off from my map - I don't remember all this stuff.)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whoops, double post. rolling eyes

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 9-10-09 19:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
OK, I've visited the Val Gardena once or twice a season for the last 7.

1. Superb snow making facilities if required, slightly dodgy in '07 as with the rest of Europe, otherwise always good.

2. More mixed and extensive in the 3v's, have a guide in the 'valley', there will be loads that you won't know about.

3. True, but getting easier. Budget airlines/ carhire works well.

4. Ladino is the 1st language in the area, German 2nd, Italian 3rd. wink
snow conditions
snowball, Thank you for the information. I have only been up to the Piz Boe in summer.
ski holidays
[quote="snowball"]........though there isn't as much off piste as in the 3 valleys there is still plenty and much of it is challenging (see below), and most important - very few people ski it, which is great.

Eh? Puzzled I've seen queues for Le Grand Couloir. rolling eyes
snow report
saikee wrote:
I suppose many SHs would say Porte du Soleil, ... should be part of the comparison. However the Porte du Soleil isn't very well linked by chairlifts and somewhat disjoined, especially in the Swiss side. My impression is that it is not in the same league as the other two
At least as far as the Dolomites are concerned, I think that PDS is indeed not in the same league, but from the opposite direction. The Swiss side has no link problems afair, some of the scenery easily rivals that of the the Dolomites and the options of a full day ski safar seem endless.
snow conditions
Sorry, double post

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 10-10-09 11:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
dfl, Well tbh I have never seriously considered going skiing in the Portes du Soliel.

On the other hand from everything I have read the 3 Vallees and the dolomites are ones I would very much like to visit in the future.

In terms of staying in the main resorts, Morzine is too low for my liking and Avoriaz too ugly for what I believe not worth the reward of a place such as Tignes. I may be wrong, but they are my preconceptions.
snow report
dfl,

I think many SH, like me, will echo the abundant drag lifts in the Swiss side of the PDS. Swiss resorts are never too hurry to change to the newer chairlifts but PDS lift systems is more dated than many other resorts in Switzerland, say Flims, Zermatt, St Moritz, Cran Montana, Verbier....

3V renews their chairlifts quickly. There is only one drag lift, a twin No. 07/09, in the close-loop Sella Ronda circuit and it is the in clockwise direction only. I would say Let Gerts/Morzine/Avoriaz lift systems are on par with 3V and Dolomities but Swiss side of PDS is a let down.

I agree the scenery of Swiss side PDS is good to very good but Sella Ronda is in the "excellent/outstanding" category.
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
snowball wrote:
........though there isn't as much off piste as in the 3 valleys there is still plenty and much of it is challenging (see below), and most important - very few people ski it, which is great.

I only know the 3 Valleys Grand Couloir - Where is the Dolomites one? Some parts of the Sellaronda have "No off-piste Skiing" signs and even a week after the last snow there are many places right under lifts where you will find no tracks. It is very difficult to find any off-piste skis for hire - you have to bring your own.
latest report
dfl wrote:
, I think that PDS is indeed not in the same league (as the Dolomites), but from the opposite direction. The Swiss side has no link problems afair, some of the scenery easily rivals that of the the Dolomites and the options of a full day ski safar seem endless.

Whilst I can agree that the PdS has some spectacular scenary with the Dents de Diables, it is *nothing* on the Dolomites. Might explain why I've always found the Swiss side of the PdS quieter than the Dolomites.
snow report
After skiing in both regions last season I am doing the same again this coming winter, I love both for different reasons and would recommend both to anyone. I eat more in the dolomites and ski more in the 3V's!
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
snowball wrote:
........though there isn't as much off piste as in the 3 valleys there is still plenty and much of it is challenging (see below), and most important - very few people ski it, which is great.

I only know the 3 Valleys Grand Couloir - Where is the Dolomites one? Some parts of the Sellaronda have "No off-piste Skiing" signs and even a week after the last snow there are many places right under lifts where you will find no tracks. It is very difficult to find any off-piste skis for hire - you have to bring your own.

You two are doing a bang-up job of misunderstanding each other. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy