Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

David Baddiel slates skiing as an artistic desert ...

Poster: A snowHead
Come on... at least he concludes with "and remind us that skiing is a graceful and dynamic way to traverse down some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world."

Much of mountaineering's rich literary legacy is partly due to the drawn out and gradually accumulating seriousness of major climbs. Sitting in a stormy bivi on a 12" ledge holding on to everything for dear life during 12 hours of darkness does kind of allow your mind to contemplate the meaning of life. Whereas most extreme skiing is over fairly quickly. Parachuting is another sport where there is not much time for contemplation on the way down.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Clough wrote:
What about Wham's video of Last Chirstmas? Art just doesn't get any better than that!!?

Yes indeed. Who could ever considered skiing to be naff after seeing that? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowball,

Quote:
As for the painting I couldn't get anything on your website.

No problem in my case. Here is some text I cut and paste for you to judge.

Benefits Supervisor Sleeping - as the painting is called is the work of UK artist Lucian Freud, grandson of psycho-analyst Sigmund Freud. The sale is a new record for the most money paid for a painting by a living artist.
Fifty one year old Sue Tilley is the poser in the painting and she works for a government-run job center in London.
Sue mentioned that she initially felt embarrassed to pose naked in front the 85 year old painter. Later she was so comfortable that he could see nothing but her fat deposits and peacefully fell asleep.
“I didn’t mind if he noticed,” she said.
Here’s the best part - With Tilley, Freud said he was “very aware of all kinds of spectacular things to do with her size, like amazing craters and things one’s never seen before,” according to the 2002 interview with the Tate. He added, “I have perhaps a predilection towards people of unusual or strange proportions, which I don’t want to over-indulge.”
Coming back to reality rather than the artistic world. Sue must be thanking her stars for all the accumulated fat around her body. Nobody would have noticed this fat lady but for the popularity she gained through the painting. People are not awing over the painting but the nutty price it was sold for.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
saikee, it is a truly great painting but a truly stupid price.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoatsbrother, I agree, it's a great painting.

Benefits Supervisor Sleeping

Apparently it was bought by Roman Abramovich.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry if I am not PC here. Though I can not dispute Freuds ability in capturing the image, I would not pay 1p to hang that on my wall. What a sad sad painting.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HH, Don't really see what PC has to do with it Puzzled

and you don't have to live with all art. I wouldn't want the LSO or Eels in my house - but I'd pay to go and see them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HH wrote:
Sorry if I am not PC here. Though I can not dispute Freuds ability in capturing the image, I would not pay 1p to hang that on my wall. What a sad sad painting.

But if only she was wearing ski boots then........

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Baddiel has to earn a living. His way to do that has been saying or writing things that amuse or entertain. He's got column inches to fill and wants to be entertaining. He's also got a point but it's not about skiing per se. Very few genuine sports are artistic in themselves. It's what gets written that can be 'artistic'.

Skiing is a very individual sport and the people doing it wear helmets. Unless you ski like a lunatic (Franz Klammer) you can't really tell much about what's going on. What's there to write about that the the skiing or non-skiing general public are going to buy.

He's not slating skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

I love the mountains, there is no more beautiful a place to me than being at the top of a snow covered mountain. Skiing allows me to capture that image. So Baddiel thinks skiing is for the middle classes? What is art if it has a price tag of millions?

stoatsbrother,

Art, to me, is about observing a thing of beauty, not necessarily a convential beauty. Dead cows and dead humans and morbidly obese people on a duff old sofa speaks nothing of beauty to me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

So is Baddiel a cock or what?

it would be a step up for him - some cocks are funny.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
His concluding remark suggests he thinks it's embarrasing for him to participate in an activity that has made no contribution to culture.

From that I conclude that he'd feel less embarassed bullfighting than skiing. Bull fighting has literature (Hemingway), dance (the pasa doble as featured on strictly come dancing) and music (Tommy Steele's Little White Bull).

Maybe David Baddiel would prefer to kill a head of state - there's plenty of literature from that subjetc (Shakespeare's Othello, Julius Ceasar, Macbeth).

War produces a lot of cluture (films, books, plays, music), maybe David Baddielthinks War is a more worthwhile activity than skiing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
who says skiing isn't artistic? just look at the suit at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47053&start=80
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, on that theme you definitely need to dig out 'Fire and Ice' - Willy Bogner's full-length ski movie. It had very limited showing (the video version I have has a German soundtrack (possibly dubbed) but I think the stars spoke in English). The trick and ballet skiing in the film is fantastic.
Don't know if it's still on sale.

Bogner (apart from making astonishing skiwear) shot many of the key skiing sequences in the old Bond movies. He's an ex-racer and had the ability - almost unique - to ski at speed with a bulky movie camera.

Not really. I regularly ski with up to 3 cameras running.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pistemeister wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, on that theme you definitely need to dig out 'Fire and Ice' - Willy Bogner's full-length ski movie. It had very limited showing (the video version I have has a German soundtrack (possibly dubbed) but I think the stars spoke in English). The trick and ballet skiing in the film is fantastic.

Bogner (apart from making astonishing skiwear) shot many of the key skiing sequences in the old Bond movies. He's an ex-racer and had the ability - almost unique - to ski at speed with a bulky movie camera.

Do they all put 5lbs on? Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
pistemeister wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:

Do they all put 5lbs on? Laughing Laughing Laughing

No, but the batteries do.
ski holidays
rich.ll wrote:
Maybe David Baddiel would prefer to kill a head of state - there's plenty of literature from that subjetc (Shakespeare's Othello, Julius Ceasar, Macbeth).

Othello? Should that have been Hamlet?
latest report
Skking hasn't produced any art ?? And football has ?? Yeah, Escape to Victory was a masterpeice wink

Who cares ? It's a healthy outdoor exercise; it allows people to appreciate the beauty of the mountain environment and it's nature (at least before 4:30-ish) and it's generally a nice sociable activity. How many sporty things do you get families doing together.

DB is a total knob
snow report
David Clough wrote:
What about Wham's video of Last Chirstmas? Art just doesn't get any better than that!!?
Just for pulling that crap tune back into my head I will kill you should we ever meet Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
dsoutar, 'DB' is a poster here . . .
latest report
Photography is an art form and there are countless examples of Snowscape/Action pictures available to the world.
snow report
I have no idea who this David Baddiel person is (and only read the thread because it was clear I should know). Doe he ski? Does he produce art? if not his opinions are worth nothing except to the sad people who follow the cult of celebrity! rolling eyes
snow report
easiski,

Don't know this dude myself but
this shows his face. Not a bad comedian I suppose as he blends in well with the f**king word.
ski holidays
In one of its few moments of clarity Viz pinned Baddiel as Student Grant. Over a decade on I still associate him with that parody.

Every year hacks who can't ski knock out this kind of stuff exaggerating for effect all the way. Its the journalistic equivalent of ham acting.
snow report
David Baddiel appears to think that sport and physical pastimes are in some way inferior to the arts, but can be redeemed by inspiring art. Maybe he feels the need to justify such 'uncultured' activity at the dinner parties he attends.

Anyhow, I think he's got things the wrong way round - art isn't enriching the sport that inspires it, it's the sport that is enriching the art - the value of the sport is unaffected.
snow report
I thnk what everybody is missing here is that he was writing from the POV of somebody supposed to be writing in the "Culture" section of the paper.
snow report
Who cares... must have a book to sell or a job to do and isn't doing so well without Skinner.
snow conditions
I support the view of the american socialite who said ' I may not know art but i know what i like'.

Well i for one like art to look and feel like something i can recognise.

As for the Turner prize exhibits, well i just don't get it and care even less if the self flattering arty types think me an ignoramus
(they should read 'the Emperor's new clothes' again).

What turns me on is the sheer beauty of snow clad mountains as i look around at the top of a piste and the all consuming sensory pleasure i get whilst skiing down it and so what happens when i get every thing right is visual, physical and psychological pleasure which may not be art but i know what i like.

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a few prints (not originals unfortunately) by Alfons Walde. Surely that must count as culture

link to examples: http://alfonswalde.com/HTML/E_GALERIE_WS.asp?Kat1=WS&Kat2=WS&Header=WS.gif
snow conditions
Quote:
Skiing is simply too - to use a naff word - naff for art. It's too middle-class...

Good, that's one less person in the lift queue then!
snow report
awksquawk wrote:
Quote:
Skiing is simply too - to use a naff word - naff for art. It's too middle-class...

Good, that's one less person in the lift queue then!

Which person would tath be?
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, followed your link, read the piece. He should stick to comedy. He's trying for Clarkson but falling miserably short. Sounds like he's cr@p on skis too. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Axsman, until they changed the paper's format recently, he had been writing a serious literary column in the 'Books' section of Saturday's Times for some years. They weren't too bad, but not nearly as good as those of Jeanette Winterson, with whom he alternated each week.
snow report
One person who I think has contributed hugely to art, achitecture, film and fun is Heinz Julen in Zermatt. His cinema/bar/cafe/gallery Vernissage is strongly recommended, and he's been involved in some wild building projects:

http://www.heinzjulen.com/biography-heinz-julen_en.php

http://www.vernissage-zermatt.ch/cms/output.php?id=341
snow conditions
alex_heney, Errr...David Baddiel?
latest report
Masque wrote:
David Clough wrote:
Just for pulling that crap tune back into my head I will kill you should we ever meet Evil or Very Mad

Nice!
snow conditions
...and what about "On the Piste" - truly a work of genius Toofy Grin
snow report
Mostly tosh....

"I think it's time for a great artist to rescue skiing; to rescue it from the awful clothes and the Sunday supplements and the oligarch-infested bars and the Eurotrash discos and the posh chalet girls and the endless f***ing fondue: and remind us that skiing is a graceful and dynamic way to traverse down some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world."

*shrugs
I don't like any of those things either, which is why they have no part in my winter holiday experience, and never have.

You don't have to try very hard to avoid all of the above, so stop whining and go somewhere better next time.
latest report
Actually that's a lie, I'm partial to the occasional fondue.
snow conditions
firebug, Glad you qualified that, MMMmmmm fondue Madeye-Smiley

And now I think about it, Eurotrash discos, and posh chalet girls aren't entirely without merit Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy