Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question on Ryanair baggage....can someone help me?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Travelling on Friday to Italy with Ryanair. Have been looking on their website at the baggage allowance and I have a question.

It states that you are allowed upto 15kg of weight per person. Can I include my Ski boots in that 15kg or will they try and charge me extra for that??

Not talking about Ski's...just my boots.

If so does anyone ever put them in a suitcase instead??

Thanks

(only interested in Ryanair)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
15kg in total, I don't think it matters how many bags.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK...so I could put three sets of boots in (between two of us) and one suitcase ??

Plus we could take two small rucksacks on as handluggage ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
3 sets of boots for 2 people? Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
well....four of us going and one of the party is going to be putting three sets of blades in his large rucksack...so that is most of his weight allowance gone. As a swap I am putting his boots in !!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Extracted from Ryanair's new terms and conditions. Firstly, checked baggage:
Quote:

Checked baggage allowance is 15kg per person (no infant allowance). Passengers may not use the unused allowances of others. Only passengers travelling within the same reservation may pool their baggage allowance. Any excess over 15kg will be chargeable at the rate of £4.50/ˆ7 (or local currency equivalent) per kilo.

Quote:

Many items of sporting equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bicycles, scooters, surfboards, bodyboards, snowboards and skis are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines operating fast turnarounds such as Ryanair. However, upon payment of an additional charge of £17/ˆ25 (or local currency equivalent) per item, per sector (flight) irrespective of weight, Ryanair is prepared to carry such items on a ‘limited release’ (i.e. entirely ‘at your own risk’ for damage or delay) basis. You may therefore wish to ensure that you have suitable private insurance cover in force for such items. Due to space restrictions, we recommend that all sports equipment is pre-booked and pre-paid by calling your local reservation centre, as not to do so may result in the item being refused carriage at the airport. If the fee is not paid at the time of booking or on your outbound it will still be imposed on your return journey.

Cabin baggage:
Quote:

Only one small item of hand baggage per person, weighing no more than 10kg and with dimensions of less than 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, may be carried into the aircraft cabin.

My experience was that Ryanair's people in Italy (at least when I used Turin) imposed no charges, but I'd rely on nothing now. Ryanair are evidently taking a hard line, at least in terms of policy.
Bon voyage!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It does say that you can pool baggage allowance if you are travelling in the same party though...who is to say that I don't have two sets of boots !!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rooney, you can check 15kgs in hold baggae, no limit on hand baggage provided it meets their dimensions. There is also no limit on your weight. I'm easy to recognise when I travel Ryan Air, I'm the guy wearing all his ski clothes and carrying the heaviest back pack you've ever seen.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
... and walking up the aisle with his skis on.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The way I understand it is that if all 4 of you booked on the same single reservation then you get 60kg shared between the 4 of you. If you booked individually, then you have 15kg each. Either way, you use the allowance however you like and your boots (however many pairs you chose) would have to come out of that allowance - unless you decide to wear them onto the plane!!

Let us know how you got on when you get back. It would be interesting to know how strictly they are enforcing these limits.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
when i flew out with them at christmas i took my boot bag as hand luggage , it just fitted within their dimensions and 10kg weight limit and i had room in the bag for the normal flight crap ( book,cards, etc). they were being tight on weight at checkin, except one friends siutcase weighed 20kg - he gave an innocent look and the girl just told him off . i allways think it hepls getting to checkin early before the girls ( or bloke) get fed up. the friends we met up with in italy who had flown out a week earlier were over their weight limit and got stung for the charges . and YES there is a limit on hand luggage - 10kgs.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you've got "extra" baggage that you think they wont let you carry on and so they'll make you check it in and push you over the edge, hide the bag - either leave with someone else while you check in or stash it somewhere and pick it up after checking and carry it on as hand luggage. I've done this a few times with Ryan Air.

Remember that you must pay for for carrige of skis/boards upfront ~£15 each way. If you don't then they may not carry them and they'll charge you £2 extra each way, especially if it is a busy flight! Sometimes you can get away with it on Ryan air but not very often.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
£4.50 per kilo for excess baggage is not to be trifled with!
My advice would be to rent skis if you're flying Ryanair.
The airline's owner said he expected people not to take stuff abroad, but buy it when they're there, but he's always had a sense of humour.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its £17 each way for ski bags and if you book them on in advance you can only do it over the phone at 10p/minute. They don't pick up, take ages to run through an electronic menu, put you on hold ( i wonder why!) before answering. They also said they would send me an email confirmation which hasn't arrived yet. I'm making sure I take a copy of my credit card bill with the £34 debited to prove I've paid.

I'm starting to wish I'd booked the BA flight now!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rooney, I'm taking my wife to Turin airport friday morning then back to Serre Chevalier. if you need transport (Sauze, sestriere, etc) let me know.
ski holidays
Thanks for the very kind offer of transport.

I have a hire car booked already so won't need it....but thanks again - very generous
latest report
Jeeze Dan, encourage dangerous practices why doncha? Airplanes enforce weight allowances to ensure passenger safety (ok, so they wee wee (wee wee? where the hell did THAT synonym sneak in? I can say back bottom, tho... Shocked Nope, I can't. Sigh.) passengers off, but that's not their raison d'etre). Point being, if you and others start smuggling on extra hand luggage weight then you're making that flight that much more dangerous for me. Cheers mate.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 20-01-05 10:42; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
I'm sure you may have realised this, but boot bags don't conform to their size restriction for cabin luggage, as I discovered at Turin on my way home last year. I copped it for excess baggage on the way out, had to leave the queue, join another to pay for the excess and then re-join the check in queue.

Thought I'd try and be clever on the return by carrying my boot bag (on way out it was in my main bag) onto the aircraft and was turned away at the departures gate and told to put the boot bag through baggage check-in. A right bloody palaver! At least the guy there didn't attempt to levy an extra charge, though!
ski holidays
I was told by easyJet last week that they don't allow ski boots on as hand luggage. I'm guessing that they could be regarded as offensive weapons?!!
ski holidays
... especially when worn on the hands.
snow conditions
Manda, I always wondered what would happen if Weight Watchers filled a flight with skiers, all having 15k luggage, 10kg cabin luggage and skis/boards.

I reckon that rather than a "baggage allowance" there should be a "gross weight allowance" of 120 kilos, to include the passenger and all their luggage.
ski holidays
hyweljenkins, I accept that a lot of people can do (possibly need to wink ) something about their weight but there are so many other factors to consider such as tall people generally weigh more than smaller people - possibly some sort of sliding scale with enough room to appear more than generous??

Manda well otherwise how would i get to take my pet african elephant with me on holiday.........we can't bear to be parted Wink , he's only small (doesn't take up too much room) and house trained NehNeh I appreaciate where you are coming from but they don't weigh passengers etc to calculate the fuel needed, they are so indiscrimiate in who they let take what on board etc. i'll bend the rules from time to time. You can seemingly buy as much as you want in "Duty Free" areas before getting on board which they don't see at checkin/weigh. You eat & drink more so possibly weigh a tad more. At the end of the day, it still goes through rigorous security checks to get onto the plane and can still be taken off me at the entry to the plane if they so choose. Little Angel
snow report
An interesting fact is that aircraft are designed around 100kg per pax including hand baggage, but state's side they have realised that most of their pax are heavier as a cosequence they have both adjusted the average weight and put in less seats allowing more leg room. Just thought you'd like to know that Toofy Grin
snow conditions
More stomach room, in other words.
ski holidays
I have travelled with Ryanair on numerous occasions to Treviso (Italy) and they are red hot on the baggage allowance. They don't as a rule allow boot bags as hand luggage (strange considering the size of some rucksacks lugged onto the aircraft), you have to check em in, and this might put you over your allowance. Stick em in your luggage and check in as a group and if you're over, split the cost between you. Or take less gear if you don't want to pay.
ski holidays
I always find that at the front of the inevitable long queue the best tactic when overweight is to unzip the bag and start saying "hmmm now what can i put in my hand-luggage" and start to unpack the case on the conveyor belt. After about 30 seconds at most the check in girl will just say don't worry and check the bag in! Alternatively put a foot under the end of the bag which is poking aver the edge of the conveyor, that takes a couple of kgs off.
latest report
Not a bad idea that.
snow conditions
Chris Angus, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went with Ryanair to Turin at New Year. Thought it best to check beforehand regarding boots in hand luggage. The official line is that it is okay as long as they satisfy weight and size restrictions. They did - no problem.
Didn't we all cover this in another thread not so long ago Puzzled
snow report
Why not wear your ski boots. You could always have a pair of trainers or flip flops/sandels in you hand luggage to change into after check in. Then again after you've walked onto the plane.
latest report
Quote:

Why not wear your ski boots.

... indeed, at the check-in counter only, with a pair of shoes in your backpack. Check in, then take the boots off and carry them onto the plane, maybe in duty-free carrier bags (for reduced embarrassment). The combination of the two bags will not exceed the allowable dimensions for cabin baggage and they will easily fit into the overhead locker that way.
If security refuse to allow you on board with a pair of ski boots, give them a gentle kick in the shins. Er, no, correction, show them all parts of the boots and see if they can find any pointed or sharp components (there aren't any).
Ski boots are not offensive weapons. I've never seen an act of violence carried out with ski boots.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

If security refuse to allow you on board with a pair of ski boots, give them a gentle kick in the shins.

They searched my hand luggage (which included ski boots) thoroughly last time - the culprit was a pewter hip flask in one ski boot - pewter seems to make a very dark shadow on the x-ray!
latest report
Caspar, hmm wonder why, something to do with pewter having a high lead content possibly ? Not something I'd use as a hip flask, mine are Stainless Steel
snow report
D G Orf,
Couldn't find a s/s one the right shape - about 6 inches high and 2 inches wide - fits in the pocket just right.
snow conditions
Ken Lingwood - wearing your boots is a mad idea, but would one get away with it? How much do boots normally weigh anyhow? Also has anyone ever seen hand luggage weighed? I was coming through Melbourne Airport last week and there was a weighing scales at the bag scan area - I never say one before in all my time travelling.
latest report
Not read it all so apologies if repeating. Ryanair's hold limit is 15kg and by my reckoning their scales weighed about 2.5 kg high. After religiously weighing my bag and removing some stuff so only 14.5kg. Me and ten other people stood in the q to pay excess baggage.

You can pool weight i.e. 30kg for 2 people with 1 bag.

Hand luggage is 10kg but can't be too physically big. A boot bag wouldn't fit in their test station (with size 10 boots in it).
snow conditions
NickW, if you honestly believe that to be the case then you should at least contact trading standards and possibly the police as they would, I think, be commiting fraud, or if you really want to make them squirm try contacting the BBC Watchdog program
ski holidays
NickW, that's your observation. How do you know that Ryanair's scales weigh too high? Which other scales did you weigh your bags on?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 21-01-05 0:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
All airline are geting hot on Luggage. This is a new I guess unofficial policy for them to make more money on Excess baggage. I flew Swiss just before Xmas from Amsterdam to Zurich. I had exactly the same baggage as the last time I went 22kg total. I thought shouldnt matter I flew before no problem & im in there Freequent flyers program. No Wrong had to pay 2 Kg excess for each way Sad
snow conditions
yes they do enforce the 15 kilos limit - I was 9 kilos over weight ( xmas presents ) going to Shannon at Christmas and had to pay £40.50. Was not helped by the fact that there I was at the end of a very long queue at Stanstead. On the return flight I arrived earlier at the airport, was slightly ( a few kilos ) over the limit, smiled nicelyat the check-in lady - she asked whether I could renove some items to my hand luggage which I promptly did and escaped the excess charge.

Rules : 1) arrive early at the airport 2) be polite 3) if you are slightly over, ask whether it is possible to remove some items to your hand luggage/carrier bag. If you are a lot over the excess I do not think you will succeed with Ryanair

Better still use a proper carrier like BA; Swiss or Aer Lingus wink It may cost a bit more , but you are saved the hassle of the excess weight problem; no long distance airport transfers; prroper customer service if something goes wrong like missing baggage; something to eat on board and treated as a CUSTOMER. Sorry to sound a controversial note but if you book a couple of months in advance you can get comparatively cheaper fares from BA and AE ( Swiss?? ) without all the hassle and smugness of Mr " cheap fares " O'Leary.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy