Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

din setting help?

Poster: A snowHead
alrighty, new to the forum but have been lurking in the background for a while.

just a quick question i hope someone could clear up for me...

i've recently purchased a pair of k2 apache xplorers and i'm just setting them up just now, only thing is i'm not sure what din settings would be best for me, i'm roughly 6ft2", about 140kg's and my ski level is advanced i'd say(looking to start to dabble with more off piste this season, hence the xplorers) and my groomed run style would probable be described as an even mix of controlled and aggression.

so yeah, if anyone could help me out it would be marvellous, the bindings are marker mx12's.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
see link below. Comes out at around DIN 8

http://www.dinsetting.com/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
uktrailmonster, we need his BSL.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guessed it was >331 mm
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
uktrailmonster wrote:

Hmm.

Mine gives 6 for that - I usually have it set at 6.5, but I did turn 50 a few weeks ago.

If I set the age to 10-49, it gives a setting of 7.

I fink a whole DIN point for a few weeks difference in age is a bit much Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd opt for the lighter setting, try them out in the bumps and if you pop one crank up half a point. Much better than starting too high.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alex_heney, That must have been one rough week Shocked Over did the celebrations? Laughing Laughing Laughing

For my settings the difference between changing from type 2 to type 3 pushed the recommended level from 6.5 to 8. Funny enough, about 7 to 8 does suit me for wider skis, with lighter shorter skis I can get away with 6.5.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarpa wrote:
I'd opt for the lighter setting, try them out in the bumps and if you pop one crank up half a point. Much better than starting too high.

I have always skied with them set to 6.5, apart from the frist couple of days on my very first trip, whenan idiot in the hire shop, even after having been told my weight, height and the fact I was a complete beginner, set them to 9!!!

Needless to say, I had a fall where they didn't come off, and damaged something in my knee (I believe it was the MCL), but fortunately not too badly, and a couple of months physio when I got back sorted it.

I've never had a pre-release at 6.5, but I've also never felt they stayed on longer than they should in a fall. I did tear a muscle in my calf last year, but I'm pretty sure the skis were already off before that happened.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
but on whos chart.... salomon binding should be set on a salomon chart marker bindings on a marker chart...i don't have either here, but there are differences in certain areas of the chart...back to the battle that DIN should be DIN should be DIN but isn't
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The website said 7 for me which is not far off what I have set at 5.5/6 depending on the ski. I should probably tighten up the 5.5 but I've not had a prerelease. I have had the boot twist out of the binding without the binding releasing from the ski which is annoying especially as it means the brakes stay up. That happened with my lightweight touring boots, not had the same problem (yet) with my new stiffer boots, hoping the new boots have fixed that. If it does start happenning not a lot I can do other than use a different binding - though that would mean going to a non-release non DIN binding, so I'll stick to my 7TMs for the moment.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alex_heney, Yep, I've had an idiot set mine to 9.5 based on his published system of dividing a skier's weight in Kilograms by 10.

9 months of Achilles rehab taught me different Mad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I demo'd some twin tips at the EOSB a couple of years ago and as I usually skied at 6.5 I asked for them to be set to 7. I then took off from the first jump in the park and popped out of both skis upon landing Embarassed The intended use of the ski does change the setting requirements a fair bit.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MattMattMatt, Welcome to sHs - I have just bought my husband the Explorers too Very Happy

alex_heney wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

Hmm.

Mine gives 6 for that - I usually have it set at 6.5, but I did turn 50 a few weeks ago.

If I set the age to 10-49, it gives a setting of 7.

I fink a whole DIN point for a few weeks difference in age is a bit much Smile

yes, I agree, myself and husband are the same level skier but he is quite a bit heavier than me and 4" taller, his DIN came out at 6 from that chart and mine 7 - I am 49 he is 53, but when I change mine to 50yrs it then reset it to 6, even so, I would have thought my OH would need a higher DIN than me Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IncogSkiSno, boot sole length.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers for the help guys, i appreciate it. to clear everything else up i'm 22 and the bsl according to the boots(salomon) is 30.5, however when setting up the bindings they ended up being 335 on the binding. i'd say i'm unsure if this is right but quite frankly the boots wouldn't fit in the bindings at anything shorter so it must be accurate.

i tried it with my skier type at 2 and 3 and it delivered in at either 6.5 and 8 consecutively. i'm thinking i'll probably be more likely to be an 8 seeing as the last weeks skiing i done on my old ski's i only came off my ski's once that i remember.

i think the best bet would to be to just take a screwdriver out with me when i get my first run on them and adjust as i ride.
snow report
slikedges wrote:
IncogSkiSno, boot sole length.

so does a shorter length mean a higher setting then ? Confused
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno wrote:
.......so does a shorter length mean a higher setting then ? Confused

IncogSkiSno, yep, a shorter boot would allow a higher setting when compared to someone else who's stats were identical other than having than a longer boot. The longer boot puts more turning force/torque into the lower leg/knee than a shorter boot.
latest report
Masque wrote:
alex_heney, Yep, I've had an idiot set mine to 9.5 based on his published system of dividing a skier's weight in Kilograms by 10......

That's the usual guide for skiers who are competant & aggressive all mountian skiers (type 3/3+) who are requiring higher retention but in the majority of cases it will mean settings higher than their chart setting. Racers tend to use a guide of their weight in stones equals their din setting. Both these guidelines should only be used by experienced skiers who fully understand the implications of their actions.
latest report
MattMattMatt, Boot sole length is measured in mm. There are various descriptions used to designate length, size etc, it's easy to get confused by them all.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 21-02-09 19:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Scarpa, you're confused about your sexuality ? Toofy Grin

spyderjon, ah right, thanks for the explanation Very Happy
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, I hate this new keyboard. It keeps missing out letters and the USB connection is very intermittent. I spent too much time correcting and not enough looking at where my fingers are. I am also a little tipsy and seeing as I have now corrected my initial post all the evidence has vanished Laughing I most definitely did not write length as lenght and size as sexe Embarassed
latest report
IncogSkiSno, I am very confused about my sexuality... I keep being attracted to brunettes but seem to fall for blondes. What should I do Puzzled
snow report
MattMattMatt wrote:
Cheers for the help guys, i appreciate it. to clear everything else up i'm 22 and the bsl according to the boots(salomon) is 30.5, however when setting up the bindings they ended up being 335 on the binding. i'd say i'm unsure if this is right but quite frankly the boots wouldn't fit in the bindings at anything shorter so it must be accurate.

BSL in mm will be on the side of the boot shell (moulded into the shell itself). 335 mm sounds about right if you've got size 10+ feet. 30.5 is probably their mondo size, which is not the same thing as BSL.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, What length should I use? Is width an issue? I already wax 'em within an inch of their lives Laughing
snow conditions
Scarpa, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy