Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

advice needed - one adult and one child

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
thinking of grabbing a break in the easter hols with my 6 yr old. he has skied before and we have just got back from ADH where he was in ski school.
need advice / experience of how best to do it as many operators often want 2 adults to pay the price to attract the offers. thinking of ryanair + car + self catering but that is tricky as I hate shopping.cooking on holiday. If i have to I will. I also need to think about getting the little man in some lessons and / or kids club so I can be released to do some skiing. I dont want to go for a week and want to keep the cost down. any advice appreciated as this is different to what we normally do (full week, all the family with major tour operator and full childcare setup). cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
backhojo, not a direct answer, but last year I went to Kaprun in April school hols and stayed here -

http://www.hotel-sonnblick.at/en/default.asp

I was there with a friend, but there were about 6 father-son or father-daughter pairs in the hotel (aswell as other families). Because of that all the kids went off to play together and the dads had a beer in the bar, and they tended to ski together and generally had a great time.

As soon as I returned home I booked my 3 year old daughter for ski lessons, in the hope I could do this type of trip in a few years time.

Actually Kaprun was easy enough to get to, as I went independently and only for long weekend - cheap flight to Salzburg mid week (I got from Manchester on a Wednesday), and train from there to Zell am See, then taxi to Kaprun.

Snow was getting thin last year, even though there had been a last minute dump. Not sure what it would be like other years. Glacier was good though, no matter what.

Hope this helps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
backhojo, one of my very best ski holidays was 10 days in Lake Louise with one of my sprogs when they were 5. High quality ski school during the day for him - I skied with the mountain friends (ski hosts) and SCGB rep. Self-arranged with cheap accommodation.

I know you are really looking to do something slightly different - but you will have fun. Enjoy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kaprun would not suit me. the skiing is not extensive enough for me as I am a pretty good skier and like to wonder off on long excursion. It also looks a bit disjointed in that to get to zell am see you need to get a bus ?

obviously lake louise is not practical for a short break but maybe one day !! We have done colorado before we had the kids and love it. I suspect we will go as soon as the littlest one is big enough for the flight and jet lag !

thanks for taking the time to reply...hopefully i might get some other replies
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
backhojo wrote:
Kaprun would not suit me. the skiing is not extensive enough for me as I am a pretty good skier and like to wonder off on long excursion. It also looks a bit disjointed in that to get to zell am see you need to get a bus ?

Yes, all true. But something might have to give here. It ain't gonna be like a holiday with the ski boys if you are tagging along with a 6 year old.

I am a "pretty good skier" too Toofy Grin but in April choices are a bit limited!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
also kaprun is not suitable for april as its too low - the only decent bit is the glacier and the queue will be horrendous due to everyone going there !!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
backhojo, good luck. Hope you find somewhere where you don't have to shop, cook or look after your son, and where the ski-ing is extensive, challenging and cheap! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lorenzo wrote:
backhojo, good luck. Hope you find somewhere where you don't have to shop, cook or look after your son, and where the ski-ing is extensive, challenging and cheap! Madeye-Smiley

shop and cook - I would rather not as do that a lot at home !!
look after my son - i will do this but it will be good for hime to have some lessons as I am not a ski instructor. He is 5.75 years old and hasnt got the stamina to ski all day so i need someone to look after him whilst I ski. also he can only do greens and gentle blues
extensive and challengin sking - should be easy...paradiski, 3V, Val all come to mind
cheap.....that will be the tricky bit at the moment and I can "compromise" on this a bit !!

i was actually hoping for some practical suggestions such as hotel names, B&B ideas, flexible chalets etc also good ski schols that are felxible and dont expect a full week's booking...

i am sure I am not the first person to try and do this am I ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Look on the Ski Esprit website. They have lots of special deals. There always seem to be a few 1 adult + 1 child type deals in a twin room (£499 for the week - total - including flights, half board accom)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
backhojo, try going through all the smaller family operators in the hope that they will have an odd room left in a chalet that they will sell you at a good price. That way you are in a chalet so cooking taken care of, you will be with other families so company for your child is ticked off, the operator will probably arrange skischool and afternoon club for their clients so your son can join that and be with the other kids, you will probably meet other parents who are 'pretty good' and so you will have company for skiing and beers. The one that comes to mind is Esprit as they often have giveaway deals for 1 adult 1 child especially if you hold out right til the week before as low as £399 that's flights, transfers, accomm and food. Beware their late booking supplements though can be another £40 each and more if you use any flight that is not LGW-GVA. If you don't want a full week then just take their deal but leave early on a cheap midweek flight. They have a good choice of high, extensive areas.
HTH a bit but actually I thought Lorenzo made some good suggestions and the saying 'beggars....choosers' comes to mind and you might have to sacrifice something! It's not impossible but it is a tall order. All the best though, you'll get something snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
backhojo, any ski school could give you a quote for private lessons, for however many days/hours you want. If your lad is in lessons for a few hours a day you're not exactly going to be able to go on "long excursions", though? Or you could book a week's course, but just take however many of the days you want (which would undoubtedly be cheaper).

If you can get a cheap last minute deal a week might cost less than a few days "DIY" with car hire etc. If you wanted to keep costs down you could still ski just for 4 days and do other things together on the other days. Especially in one of the bigger resorts with a swimming pool and similar facilities.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
backhojo wrote:

i am sure I am not the first person to try and do this am I ?

I am sure you are not, but the DIY/budget/flexible option is not usually very child friendly (or, to put it another way, parent friendly). I wouldn't really fancy a self drive and self catering trip with a young child, and without mum there. That may bring challenges of its own (or it would for me!) Add to that the need for child care/ski school and your own need for an "adult" skiing experience, it all seems a bit hopeful.

If, as you suggest, the "budget" part might be the first to give, then why not just book a whole week, with TO, in a friendly looking hotel, in a place with enough skiing for you. As I said in my original reply, if you choose carefully, you can probably expect lots of dads and sons/daughters to be there too, which adds to the occasion enormously. In my Kaprun example, the kids pretty much looked after themselves in the hotel, giving the dads a decent amount of time to themselves (albeit in the hotel bar or lounge). That way, you can set up ski school, and may even have other dads there to share the load with, and to ski with during the day if you want.

Let us know how it works out. My daughter will be your son's age next year, so any tips will be appreciated. Are there reliable places to ski during Easter hols?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
damobloke1 wrote:
Look on the Ski Esprit website. They have lots of special deals. There always seem to be a few 1 adult + 1 child type deals in a twin room (£499 for the week - total - including flights, half board accom)

thanks but these are all for full weeks and I stated I wanted to go for less time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
backhojo wrote:
damobloke1 wrote:

thanks but these are all for full weeks and I stated I wanted to go for less time.

Take the deal, if it's good, and leave early on a cheap flight.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks for your comments. giving me food for thought.
Lorenzo - "self drive,self cater with a young child without mum" doesnt bother me one bit ! we are not the typical family set up in that she works longer hours and earns more and I work part time and spend a lot of time shopping/cooking / looking after the kids. My son is very mature for his 5 yrs and is a great guy to be around. I think the experience woudl be good - apart form the ball ache of shopping / cooking is a bit too much like being at home....but if that is the price I have to pay then so be it.
I will look arouns tomorrow...oh..just noticed it is tomorrow !! whoops better go to bed.
I shall report back with what I decide as it might be useful to others.
I have just realised - i work 4 days a week with thurs being my day off. Friday 10th of april is good friday....bonus !!! i can go for a week and only have 3 days off work !!! Very Happy
now am i brave enough to wait until the week before to book - that way I can assess the snow and get a good deal as well..might well be worth the risk !
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy