Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

geneva car hire

Poster: A snowHead
any advice on who to use for car hire from geneva (swiss side). I usually use holiday autos. any advice on whehter to go direct to hire companies or stick with hol autos or use another agent
(please dont tell me to go do a search as i tried that first and got 32000 results !!! the first page was totally unrelated to the terms geneva and car hire !!)

thanks !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
backhojo, I've no idea about Geneva car hire, but it sounds as though when you did the search you selected the option for any of those terms (the default) rather than for all of those terms. Using the 'all terms' option should focus the search results rather better Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheapest price I found was Holiday Autos via Quidco (£10 back) using the link on the Virgin One Account page. Had to fiddle a bit to get an Alamo quote so that snow chains were included, but discovered that had I needed an additional driver then Budget is cheaper for that, and might have been cheaper overall as they don't charge for the bus.

From a 'which is the best hire company' perspective I haven't been yet, so can't comment.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
backhojo,
Good idea hiring on Swiss side its easier in every way. I use www.auto-europe.co.uk for all car hire everywhere. They search all the hire companies and offer good prices and a great selection of cars. I used them to hire 3 cars from geneva this year. I needed to change 2 bookings late it was done with no hassle. Additional drivers will need to be added and paid for at the airport so only do this if you really need to. Snow chains and tyres are compulsory and supplied as standard but you will have to pay for them locally the charge is fairly nominal. The Swiss motorway vignette is also on cars from Swiss side.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We always used holidayautos, they were about the best on price, and generally good customer service.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I normally do a check against travelsupermarket.com, but I can't remember the last time they were cheaper than Holiday Autos using the Virgin discount code. This season I've also booked via Quidco rather than direct with HA so saving £50 so far.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

easier in every way

except that you can walk easily to your car on the French side. wink
Quote:

chains and tyres are compulsory and supplied as standard

chains are NOT always supplied on the Swiss side - check. If they don't have any, and you have to buy them, you can probably get reimbursed.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
firebug wrote:
We always used holidayautos, they were about the best on price, and generally good customer service.

But are you using the quidco & virgin one angles (as skimom describes) to get the best price/cashback

skimom how do you 'fiddle' to ensure you get Alamo?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks ! never ever ever ever ever will I hire a car on the french side after what happened to me and the family 3 yrs ago. Flight was slightly delaye and we got to geneva about 11pm only to find the france was shut !!! YEP - we could not get through as the customs guys had knocked off and gone home. we coudl not get our car. not good with the parents with us and a 2 yr old. The same hire company on the swiss side did not want to help us and there was nearly a riot as there were about 20 other guest affected. The hire company called the police as we were all getting a bit hot under the collar. Had to take a taxi to the hotel (luckily we hadbooked a hotel nearby as we didnt fancy driving so late at night) then I had to take a taxi back again the next morning to the airpor to pick up the hire car.
so always swiss side for me as that is the side you land in !!
i shall investigate the options you suggest. Not happy about paying for chains as we have some. should be able to take them as hand luggage and use them on a ford focus type car as that is what they were bought for a coupld of years ago.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
we use Europacar, always nice, swift and easy - if you fly easyjet you get an extra discount with them - as long as its not pre-booked.

Also, dont a rse about with the shuttle bus, if you have wheels on your luggage its a dead easy walk - especially coming home, theres always a big queue in the car park.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can tell by the description of the car - Budget said the car would have "snow tyres or snow chains" and when I got to the final booking screen asked me to tick a box to pay 50CH extra for chains and Alamo said "winter pack" and didn't. The Budget extra person charge was 50CH and the Alamo one was 70CH

When I originally got a quote for a compact car it said Winter Pack, when I went back the next day it said 'Snow Tyres OR Chains' so I called Holiday Autos who said one was Alamo the other Budget. I couldn't get the site to show me the Alamo option again, so I then went for a quote for an Economy car, and got the 'winter pack' description, so then all I did was click the 'upgrade to a Compact' option - and voila - a compact car from Alamo!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimom, that's very interesting. I shall look for that next time I book. I used to prefer to be with Alamo as they always provided chains, but now they've started to charge automatically for the use of the shuttle bus (9 chf) so I'd like to avoid them from now on.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well yes rob@rar, but aren't you cutting your nose off to spite your face? The 50CH charge that Budget *might* make for snow chains would far outweigh your saving on the bus?

Someone did say that you probably would get chains anyway with Budget and not get charged, but for a first-time car hirer I didn't want to take the risk.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimom, I very rarely have to use chains if I have winter tyres on the car, especially with economy grade cars I normally hire. Maybe once in the last 30 times I've hired from GVA. I also have two or three pairs of chains in my apartment of varying sizes which have been collected over the years so I would probably be able to use those in I really needed to. But more than anything it's the principle of being required to pay for a service that I don't use, and you aren't told about until after you have confirmed your booking.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimom wrote:
Someone did say that you probably would get chains anyway with Budget and not get charged

I've tried that a couple of times with no success.
latest report
if you go direct to the alamo website the booking automatically adds on chains and the bus charge. so if you (like me) will be arriving before your other guest with one bag and have legs and can walk to the bus and you dont need snow chains then you are paying £32 for stuff you dont need !!
snow report
Quote:

we got to geneva about 11pm only to find the france was shut

backhojo, what a bummer. Check that your chains fit - it's amazing how they don't, sometimes as the sizes are fairly specific.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
skimom, that's very interesting. I shall look for that next time I book. I used to prefer to be with Alamo as they always provided chains, but now they've started to charge automatically for the use of the shuttle bus (9 chf) so I'd like to avoid them from now on.

I'll do the same in terms of searching out Alamo, trouble is I've already booked the next 4 hires.

Alamo charged me for the bus through Holiday Autos but I got Holiday Autos to refund it. I always walk now, to be honest it's just easier.
snow conditions
Quote:

I'll do the same in terms of searching out Alamo, trouble is I've already booked the next 4 hires.

Just checked it's Budget, Alamo, Budget, Alamo (always for a compact 4 door), go figure.

To be honest Alamo always seam to give me what I paid for but Budget seem to upgade me, so often as not it's a four wheel drive.
latest report
Hmm, we've just changed our Holiday Auto booking from Alamo to Budget (and have specified snow tyres). Have therefore probably cut off nose to spite face as per skimom's observation, since it is, surely, a bit of a risk to leave Geneva with a hire car but no chains - what if it snows hard on the way up to resort? Similarly, I understand that the hi-vis jacket is extra to hire. Damn all these hidden charges. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
anyone got experience of easycar as hey come out cheap on travelsupermarket ?
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Hmm, we've just changed our Holiday Auto booking from Alamo to Budget

Did you ask HA to do that for you? I've just emailed them to change from Alamo to another rental company and I'm waiting for a reply. Hopefully Alamo will get the message if they can see that they are loosing bookings because of this silly shuttle bus charge.
snow conditions
backhojo, compare them with this discount code from Holiday Autos.
ski holidays
rob@rar, yeah, Paul phoned them and I think said that we'd heard bad things about Alamo and unauthorized charges. We wanted to change the type of car as well, so he did it at the same time, no problem as I understand it. Then I looked at the voucher - which said snow tyres or snow chains - so I phoned to specify snow tyres, which was when I discovered that hiring chains and hi-vis vest would be extra.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
backhojo, compare them with this discount code from Holiday Autos.

where did you get that ?
£15 cheaper than easycar
but..
what about the chains/bus issues ?
easycar is really clear as they are providing the service whereas hol autos are simply agents
ski holidays
I'm a bit annoyed with HA and the extra charges inconsistencies, I am currently in dispute with them as I received a bill after my return with charges which I had not agreed to and was not made aware of at the time of booking. I'm not holding my breath!

rob@rar, if you are trying to avoid Alamo then just make sure you don't get Sixt. With Sixt you don't get tyres or chains included and you get a bill after the hire.

I knew about the chains as they weren't in the boot, I asked for them and was told about the charge and I took them, fair enough. Although it does annoy me when some of the other providers HA uses include them. But the tyres are on as standard, when you make your booking with HA there is no mention that an extra charge will be payable locally. But then you get a bill for it afterwards. When you query it, they direct you to look at your voucher and sure enough it does state the charge on the voucher. However this is the voucher which is issued after you have agreed the booking and you are not alerted to the extra charge during the booking process. This is my gripe with them, that they tell you only after you have booked Mad

Re. snow tyres, it's my understanding that all swiss hire cars have the winter tyres as it is mandatory. Has anyone ever had a car during the season which was not fitted with snow tyres?

FWIW Sixt don't charge for the bus and do include hi-viz jackets.
snow conditions
sarah, aaaargghhhh!
ski holidays
Hurtle, Maybe you could change again? I could be wrong about the tyres, I'm not certain but I think it is a legal thing, they have to be fitted with them. That's what gets me, the tyres are not an 'option' they are on the car as standard, you can't ask for them to be removed (if you wanted to) and yet they still charge you extra, it is driving me mad Mad To top it all off I am dealing with some jobsworth at HA who keeps on spouting about their Ts & Cs and telling me that I agreed to the charge when I clicked. If you go on their site and read the Ts and Cs it doesn't mention that you will be surcharged for winter tyres. The first mention of this is on the voucher after you make the booking.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i cantr believe winter tyres are required by law ? what if you live in geneva and drive in the city all day ?
latest report
backhojo, on hire cars.
snow conditions
backhojo, it's Switzerland. There are laws telling some people that they can't take a shower after 10pm in case the plumbing noises disturb the neighbours. And even in the city, winter tyres are safer when it's cold.
ski holidays
sarah, no, at least I haven't got that problem with Budget - snow tyres are clearly included.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
And even in the city, winter tyres are safer when it's cold.

Indeed, on both our transfer days in January it was snowing in Geneva.

Hurtle fingers crossed no further surcharges for you!
ski holidays
Actually the description on Holiday Autos does tell you that you get either tyres or chains... but then when you get to the bit where you specify extra drivers, child car seats etc. there is an option to add snow chains - this option doesn't appear if your quote is coming from Alamo because the description says it includes 'Winter Pack' and if you check with HA the winter pack is tyres AND chains.

So sarah, I think you might well have clicked to say that you agreed with the extra charge - because I think (from memory) that the page that offers you things like car seats etc. says that you can click now to get them, or ask for them at the desk when you pick up the car - because even if you click to have them you are only 'prebooking' them - HA don't charge you for them.

The only thing on my voucher that wasn't up front (and therefore I will be attempting to get back, but without much hope) is the bus service.

I did say to HA that they obviously 'know' which company they are quoting you for (because the descriptions and options change) and therefore they should be upfront on their website - that way people could 'vote' for their favourite.
latest report
skimom, thanks, very useful post and your previous one too about how to 'fiddle' to get the company that you want, I will be following that advice in future.

However I really don't think I agreed to anything because my car(Sixt) was not described as having either tyres or chains and when I got to the 'options' page I didn't add any. I remember this because I asked on here to rob@rar and I am pretty sure he said he never requests them and never pays a winterization fee and that the cars always had tyres and mostly chains too.

I just wish HA were more transparent with their charging and that they would agree a 'standard' with all their suppliers so no matter which supplier you would know what was included and what not.
snow conditions
think i am leaning towards easycar as there website and charges appear to be transparent...i could be wrong so will look again in the morning !
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
skimom, thanks, very useful post and your previous one too about how to 'fiddle' to get the company that you want, I will be following that advice in future.

However I really don't think I agreed to anything because my car(Sixt) was not described as having either tyres or chains and when I got to the 'options' page I didn't add any. I remember this because I asked on here to rob@rar and I am pretty sure he said he never requests them and never pays a winterization fee and that the cars always had tyres and mostly chains too.

I just wish HA were more transparent with their charging and that they would agree a 'standard' with all their suppliers so no matter which supplier you would know what was included and what not.

I agree... as far as I know I was never "offered" a Sixt car. However, I did phone HA and complain - because it was another insomniac booking that I made - I went to bed mumbling to myself that I hadn't noticed the 50CH charge for chains in the first place and it was only in the cold light of day I realised I must have been looking at two different quotes (even though the headline rate was the same). I called them to complain and they allowed me to cancel the booking even though I hadn't paid the cancellation insurance. They offered to change me to Alamo for an uplift of £10 - but I insisted on cancelling as I knew I could go back through quidco etc, and was hopeful of being able to get the Alamo quote back (and just in case I couldn't they also created me a quotation for Alamo that I could use).

To be fair, with the exception of the 'untransparency' I have actually found HA to be reasonable.

I wasn't saying that you did add chains at the options page - but if the option was there then even if you didn't select it you were acknowledging that it was something that if you had it would be charged locally (does that make sense?)
snow report
sarah wrote:
I remember this because I asked on here to rob@rar and I am pretty sure he said he never requests them and never pays a winterization fee and that the cars always had tyres and mostly chains too.

That is indeed my experience. Always had winter tyres regardless of which rental company I end up with. Always had chains with Alamo and Hertz, but mostly not with Budget. If you want a guarantee that you will have both chains and tyres you should pay the extra for the winterization when you book. But if you want to save a bit of money you could decline that extra fee and run the risk (small IMO) that you will need to buy chains from a local supermarket and the potential hassle that entails.

BTW, I've never been allocated a car with Sixt when booking via Holiday Autos.
ski holidays
My Experience is the same as rob@rar - always get winter tyres regardless of actual company, get chains with Alamo, generally not with Budget. Luckily to get to Chamonix there is no legal need for chains, though there is if you want to drive out to ski GM or the Balme (but you could always use the bus if anyone is stopping traffic).
ski holidays
skimom wrote:

I wasn't saying that you did add chains at the options page - but if the option was there then even if you didn't select it you were acknowledging that it was something that if you had it would be charged locally (does that make sense?)

I do know what you are saying. It's not the chains I have a problem with (except that some of HA's other suppliers include them at no extra charge) as my car didn't have them, I requested them and was told about the extra charge so fair enough. It's the tyres, I didn't 'opt' for them, I didn't see anywhere during the booking that I would be charged for them anyway, at the Sixt desk the clerk did not mention the charge. The first I knew about the charge was when a bill came from Sixt after the hire. If you wanted to you could not have them removed, they are an integral part of AFAIK all swiss hire cars during the winter months, therefore how can they have the nerve to charge you for something as if it is an optional extra?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy