Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What skis to buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My 14 yr old son has just decided that he needs new skis for snow skiing. It's difficult to disagree as he's 5' 11", 10 1/2 stone and on a soft ladies Head 150 ski. These have been excellent but where do we go next? Any ideas?

He's a good skier, probably on the border between advanced and expert. He's looking for something a bit stiffer than these, with a radius of probably 15m max, not slalom skis. He enjoyed skiing on Atomic GS (about 18m) but wants something with more turn than a GS ski and better in powder and steep bumps.

I would guess he wants an all mountain ski, not too heavy, 155 to 160 long.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you're looking too short if you dont mind me saying. At nearly 6 foot 155cm is gonna be like an ice skate on the lad. Shocked

That being said i thnink the Scott punisher has a radius around 15m and comes in a 162cm. Armada arvs come in 165cm but have a little higher radius.

Def look at scott skis imo, usually have plenty of sidecut and small radius (es?)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jane L, the Armada arv comes in a 175cm and is a good all mtn ski, good in powder ok in bumps. but the ski continues to suprise me. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
155-160 for an all mountain ski is wayyyyy too short. You should be thinking 170-175 ish for his weight and ability. As said Scott make powder skis with fairly aggressive sidecuts.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm the same weight and height as your son, only difference is I'm 30 years older. I have some 162 Salomon X wing Tornados, I think the turn radius is about 13m so, great fun for carving about on piste, they're light and like being put on edge but also float reasonably well in powder for a short ski as they're quite flexible and have wide shovels.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy