Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any UPCOMING public ski tests..esp Paradiski / Tarentaise

Poster: A snowHead
So when I was in cham a few weeks ago I think Dynastar had a demo stall setup where you could go along and borrow some skis to test and I've seen similar things in Lech featuring Atomic (IIRC)

Now thinking that I might like some fatter planks in the nearish future - how do you find out about ski tests being run in resorts? Is there a list / schedule anywhere..

Ok so I know there's the chat up the local shop, which is deffo an option but I'd also quite like the anonymity of turn up, test x for an hour, drop them back and test y etc etc..

cheers

bb

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 18-02-09 22:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There was one at Montalbert the other weekend.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
prog99 wrote:
There was one at Montalbert the other weekend.

Thanks, but I'm looking for an upcoming one (admittedly that wasn't explicit in the question)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think I've only ever seen one public ski test in Les Arcs, and that was when Quechua (sp?) launched their range of short skis. Other than what the rental shops might offer I've not seen anything else.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bertie bassett, Last week in Les Arcs there's a place near the bottom of the Arcabulle lift (where the Plan and Vallee de l'arc blue runs cross) that were demo-ing skis. Sounded like it was a semi-permanent place, if that helps.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bertie bassett, Movement are in the Tarentaise at the moment. They were at Meribel yesterday, for one day only, with about a dozen models to try. I don't know where they were going next though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You would think the manufacturers would put a schedule up on their websites...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bertie bassett, Last year Rossignol did ski tests by the Plan Peisey lift. It was organised with Phillippe at Sport 2000, opposite our place. Maybe you could ask in there f there are any more planned.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think they'll let you try any as you'll want to have a go on all sorts!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Big White and Silver Star have ski tests from most of the major manufacturers (Salomon, Rossignol, K2, Atomic, etc) most weekends. I've always found them most accomodating.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rossignol running tests - not that many dates left...

http://demotour.skisrossignol.com/

In Peisey-vallandry today/tomorrow so I'm off there to get testing tomorrow...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobW,
Quote:

Big White and Silver Star
Are these shops? And do they have branches in Les Arcs? (I tried Googling, but didn't get too far.) Thanks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, I think you'll find they're ski resorts wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, Err, no. They are not shops. They are ski resorts. In BC, Canada.

You did entitle the thread esp Paradiski / Tarentaise. Assuming by esp you mean especially, then this suggests you are willing to go elsewhere. If you wanted only in those areas, you should have said. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RobW, Oh dear. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
Rossignol running tests - not that many dates left...

http://demotour.skisrossignol.com/

In Peisey-vallandry today/tomorrow so I'm off there to get testing tomorrow...

Well that was about as much us as a chocolate fireguard..ok so I didn't get out that early, but when I got there was told I had to fill out a form on a computer which I did. I was then asked to hand over my skis (no probs) which were tagged, and then I was asked what skis I wanted. So the tech pulled some from a rack and then started asking how heavy I was - bit of strange question as I know what DIN setting works for me, so why he didn't just aks that I don't know. Then it was setting of the boot length and then I thought I was good to go.

STOP

Before I was able to take the skis I was asked to leave a passport or Identity card - I had a credit card and was happy to leave that but didn't have a passport with me - after all Wacky Jacqui hasn't mandated us to carry them at all times (yet) so I prefer to leave my passport safely at home rather than take it on the slopes. However their rules were no identity card / passport - no ski test... Ok so they need to protect themselves against non-returners but if they have this as a requirement then why don't they put in on their website (it's not) or on their posters.

My flat was no more than 2 lifts 2 runs round trip, so I thought I would go and get my passport - then I saw where they were keeping them - just in a 'card file box' which was out on the table next to where the ski techs were prepping the skis, so I though I wouldn't want to leave my passport there for 2 hours whilst I'm testing skis, as it would be far to easy for an undesirable to have it away whilst the techs were busy. Then I found them struggling to locate a passport for a french lady at the next table, so that didn't fill me with confidence..

So total skis tested - 0

Marks to Rossignol - less than 0... in fact put me off rossignols more than I was before...

RobW I mentioned Tarentaise as I'm staying a resort (Peisey-Vallandry) for the season, but would have been prepare to travel to say tignes for a test session. Big White / Silver Star not the most helpful suggestion, but I appreciate my question wasn't totally specific..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy