Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I am 30, in moderately reasonable shape, used to ski about 100 days a year in high school, but lucky to get a week in the past 7 years or so. I used to ski Dynastar Vertical Assaults and Volkl SL10s (when I used to race in high school). I can ski just about whatever I wish (although I did not drop Corbets Couloir due to being a bit out of shape- I would have when I was on the snow almost everyday- or if I had a few more days out that season before hand). I like steeps, bumps, chutes, tree, etc. I do ski groomers due to being in Finland and growing up in the northeast of the USA.

I am about 6'3'' (or 193cm) and weight just under 80kg (or about 175lbs). I have been looking through the equipment but everything has changed so much since I last bought something (1995) that I really do not know where to begin. I am mainly looking for something that can handle both off piste powder and onpiste hard pack. (as in I do get to the alps and western USA occasionally)

Here are a few models I noticed, but I am wary of reviews on websites and also some of the brands were half the price of others, again being overly cautious.

Line Prophet 100
4Frnt MSP
Icelantic Nomad
Volkl Mantra
K2 Recon
Dynastar Big trouble

of course, I am not stuck on any of those, but they seemed to be similar to what I might like.

also what might be a solid high end boot to look for?

thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
welcome to snowHead

some good skis there...maybe swap the recon for the xplorer or maybe the outlaw (do they still make it?)

the MSP meant to be excellent, but its well pricey. I'm sure theres a lot of people on here that will say the Mantra.

Whats the terrian like in Finland?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I recently spent 3 weeks on Line Prophet 100s out in Canada. Fresh powder almost every day, so virtually no hardpack. Skiing mainly off-piste powder and trees, with the odd high speed blast down fresh pistes. I'm a reasonably experienced 41 year old (been skiing since early teens and normally get around 30 days a year), 6'1" 85 kg.

The Prophet 100 is a great ski for fresh conditions. Very light for their size (I'm on the 186 cm), stable at high speed, carve nicely if you stick to medium and long radius turns. Loads of float in the powder and the low weight makes them easy to turn in tight trees etc. It's only on steep hardpack that they start to feel a bit limited and slow from edge-edge. If you're looking for a versatile powder ski, this is it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Movement Gladiators
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the terrain is similar to the southern part of the north east of the USA.. tree lined groomers, smaller vertical drops.. the snow is packed.

the further north you go, the hills become broad sweeping fells with a bit more vertical and more open terrain.. the snow is a packed powder.. much harder than in the alps.

so what i need is a great all-around ski that suits both snowy powder and groomed terrain ..

i tend to make shorter quicker turns up to medium.. skiing the side of the trail, where there is plenty of snow, but a bit bumped up

i am used to tight trees as well, having spent lots of time at mad river glenn, sugarbush and jay peak in vermont in my youth.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@barry

those look cool, but they are still meant for more powder than I probably see..

i wish i lived nearer to larger mountains. (curse this flat, snowy country!!)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How about the Prophet 90s instead of the 100, gives a bit more hard pack versitility over the 100. The MSp is meant to be an outstanding ski, but I'm put of by the price..though love to test some.

Scott neo..maybe mid fat and short radius
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
so the msp is pretty kick ass then?

(Pricewise ive seen it listed at 439usd.. which is nothing IMO. volkls used to be like 650usd 15 years ago.. my old vertical assaults were like 450 without bindings.. with inflation the msp is a steal.... and the line prophet 90 at 350usd.. not so much price difference)

(volkls are STILL over 500 tho)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
however I should add that.. if given the chance, Id hike ridgelines ALL DAY and stay off the trails as much as possible.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chimpsey wrote:
so the msp is pretty kick ass then?

(Pricewise ive seen it listed at 439usd.. which is nothing IMO. volkls used to be like 650usd 15 years ago.. my old vertical assaults were like 450 without bindings.. with inflation the msp is a steal.... and the line prophet 90 at 350usd.. not so much price difference)

(volkls are STILL over 500 tho)

4frnts tend to fall apart imo. Not the most durable ski but still fun.

You listed some wicked skis. Check out the armada arv as well.

As for boots, get ones that fit, (im not being facetious).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ok.. so i read that about LINE as well.. something I remember is similar to k2 skis (at least back in the 90s). they de-lam real easy and such...

nice to know...

i certainly dont get out 100 days a year anymore.. so I hardly ski my equipment into the ground anymore.

of course about the boots.. ones that fit.. as I remember different brands fit different feet.. but I was just wondering more, i suppose, if the technology or features have changed at all...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chimpsey,

Boots..in the last 5 years....?? eons..!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've read about Scotts de-laming and also some K2s topsheets being rubbish..but then they are cheaper..the MSPs are around £520 list price here..so not cheap even with our dire exchange rate..

Boot technologies progressed loads..all brands seem to have their own gimmick..sorry i mean USP..plenty of all mountiany boots about now..and if you do do some hikey stuff then black diamond and scarpa do freeride boots....boots in general are lighter, stiffer more shock and vibration absorbtion...hows finland for boot fitters..just head to one and try some on and get some advice.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well i have unfair advantage of having family in the USA who buys me stuff with my euros.. electronics, guitars, amps, skis, bikes, clothes, etc... works out super. i bought a new fender guitar amp at half the finnish price a few years ago.

but nice to hear about the boots.. i will go to a sporting outfitter, but as salesmen are salesmen, i wanted a little direction because although some know what they are tlaking about, some will sell whatever ust to make the sale, even if they normally sell tennis rackets in the summer...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
probably worth a bit of and extra journey to get a good fitter...and Finnish ski fourms that might be able to point in inthe right direction
snow report
heh. my finnish is terrible. I am transplanted here.....
snow report
chimpsey wrote:
the terrain is similar to the southern part of the north east of the USA.. tree lined groomers, smaller vertical drops.. the snow is packed.

the further north you go, the hills become broad sweeping fells with a bit more vertical and more open terrain.. the snow is a packed powder.. much harder than in the alps.

so what i need is a great all-around ski that suits both snowy powder and groomed terrain ..

i tend to make shorter quicker turns up to medium.. skiing the side of the trail, where there is plenty of snow, but a bit bumped up

i am used to tight trees as well, having spent lots of time at mad river glenn, sugarbush and jay peak in vermont in my youth.

I'd rule out the Prophet 100 on that description. They would cope, but there are much better skis for that sort of terrain. Quicker shorter turns are not exactly their strongest point either. From personal experience I'd take my Head Monster iM82s if I was going skiing there. They're more versatile than the Prophets, which only better them in deep powder. But if you prefer short turns I'd question those too and everything else on your shortlist.
ski holidays
chimpsey wrote:

I'd rule out the Prophet 100 on that description. They would cope, but there are much better skis for that sort of terrain. Quicker shorter turns are not exactly their strongest point either. From personal experience I'd take my Head Monster iM82s if I was going skiing there. They're more versatile than the Prophets, which only better them in deep powder. But if you prefer short turns I'd question those too and everything else on your shortlist.
ski holidays
i tried a pair of monsters three years ago at jackson hole. they were ok, but if i remember correctly, they weighted a ton.

so am i to understand that most skis these days are made for powder and bigger turns? (exaggerating of course)

what is wrong with me then!?!
snow report
If you like shorter turns then what about the Punishers or Missions, I have skied the Punishers and they are so easy to turn.
snow conditions
chimpsey, If you enviage hard pack on the lines of the East coast of the U.S, then you should look at Stocklis at around 88mm, but if you want them to be fast between turns..as opposed to being good-ish... then you will either have to work them hard or go thinner...

I use a 92mm everywhere but I accept that on hard pistes, they need a bit of work... and I need to keep my egdes sharp. But this works for me because we are off-piste 80 plus % of the time.

If the snow is hard most of the time, then I'd be thinking of a good piste ski that could handle the occasional deep snow day...around the 80mm.
Maybe the Explorer over the Recon, defo add a Stockli or 2 in there, and pos the Movement Spark along wth the Monsters and the Dynastars like 8000 or Mythic Ryder...IMV
ski holidays
well i take it back a bit. finland does get powder , but it is a denser snow than the rockies or down south. it is still quite dry.. but just a bit harder. (for example finnish proriders go REALLY big in the alps because the snow is much softer when they land)

i dont think the conditions are nearly close to the east coast boiler plate, except of really off years. and as I said, i do get to the alps and rockies occasionally.

so if i am to understand correctly then, at least according to people here, anything over 90mm is difficult on-piste, regardless of what the manufacturer claims? as many say 95mm is a good 50/50 split ski.. or is it more of a case of if you are an aggressive, solid skier, a 95mm could do it well on-piste? or is a case that if the on-piste snow is "soft" (as in not so icy- read not east coast on an off-season) then you can do a bit fatter?

what is the deal with bumps and fatter waist? what thickness is really starting to push it for no control in a mogal field?

what do people think of these "boutique" brands such as DPS, Kingswood or Igneous? I realize the price is a bit more, but sometimes a bit more price pays off two to three fold in quality.. is an ingenous ski really worth 1200usd or so? or are we paying partially for exclusiveness ? the kingswood runs more like 700usd and the dps at 1000usd.... same question.
ski holidays
i really like the Gladiators on piste, once your up and moving they're pretty good. Use them as my all mountain ski. I'm pretty heavy though so that may help them rolling eyes
ski holidays
chimpsey wrote:

so am i to understand that most skis these days are made for powder and bigger turns? (exaggerating of course)

No, just the kind of skis you've listed. None of them are very good for short turns, tight moguls etc.
snow report
chimpsey wrote:
i tried a pair of monsters three years ago at jackson hole. they were ok, but if i remember correctly, they weighted a ton.

Yep quite a hefty ski, much heavier than the Prophets for example. Far more capable on hardpack though.
snow conditions
Head monsters 82 are nice . Another ski for you might be the Dynastar Legend 8000 - not too carvey, solid feel, length around 180 cm, really good all rounder. The Salomon Lord looks interesting, and so do the Nordica Afterburners (at your weight even the Nordica Helldivers), if you want something with more shape
Quote:

what do people think of these "boutique" brands such as DPS, Kingswood or Igneous? I realize the price is a bit more, but sometimes a bit more price pays off two to three fold in quality.. is an ingenous ski really worth 1200usd or so? or are we paying partially for exclusiveness ? the kingswood runs more like 700usd and the dps at 1000usd.... same question.

so' you've been reading TGR. I really think that you pay for exclusiveness, and that those brands market skis usefull in the US west but that the large brands do a very good (better) job with more versatile models
ski holidays
Hey Guys,

Looking for some help here as the more and more I read into this the more confused I am;

About to buy my first pair of skis, been a 1-2 week skier for the past 6 years or so and class myself as "Advanced / Advanced Intermediate" meaning I spend most of my time on reds and blacks but enjoy moghuls and getting in the powder from time to time....usually escaping uninjured!! Looking for a ski that will not be too demanding for now but not restrict me as I improve - I am 5ft 11" tall and weigh around 13st (180lbs)

Been looking at some all mountain skis and debating the Salomon X Wing Tornado amongst others but worry that these may be too demanding on the piste for the benefit I will get on the time i go off onto other terrain. Ideally looking for something that will allow me to progress to higher levels and stand the test but not demand too much at the minute.

Anyone any ideas?!

So far considered Salomon X Wing 10 & Tornado, VOLKL AC20, K2 Apache Explorer...... but get more confused the more I look!

Going to La Plagne in a few weeks and any help is most appreciated!!!

Cheers
ski holidays
Hey Guys,

Looking for some help here as the more and more I read into this the more confused I am;

About to buy my first pair of skis, been a 1-2 week skier for the past 6 years or so and class myself as "Advanced / Advanced Intermediate" meaning I spend most of my time on reds and blacks but enjoy moghuls and getting in the powder from time to time....usually escaping uninjured!! Looking for a ski that will not be too demanding for now but not restrict me as I improve - I am 5ft 11" tall and weigh around 13st (180lbs)

Been looking at some all mountain skis and debating the Salomon X Wing Tornado amongst others but worry that these may be too demanding on the piste for the benefit I will get on the time i go off onto other terrain. Ideally looking for something that will allow me to progress to higher levels and stand the test but not demand too much at the minute.

Anyone any ideas?!

So far considered Salomon X Wing 10 & Tornado, VOLKL AC20, K2 Apache Explorer...... but get more confused the more I look!

Cheers
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sharkeyaa wrote:
Hey Guys,

Anyone any ideas?!

Cheers

In what way do you think the Salomons will be too demanding on piste?
ski holidays
i skied a salomon xscream a few years ago at Tignes. They were fun skies but quite soft feeling. I have heard salomon is generally quite a "lightweight" ski in construction.. many people have said to me to stay away from that brand due to non wood core construction being less durable it wont last very many seasons especially if you are aggressive and ski hard. Of coarse, this may be just talk... so please someone with more knowledge either elaborate or correct me...
snow report
chimpsey wrote:
i skied a salomon xscream a few years ago at Tignes. They were fun skies but quite soft feeling. I have heard salomon is generally quite a "lightweight" ski in construction.. many people have said to me to stay away from that brand due to non wood core construction being less durable it wont last very many seasons especially if you are aggressive and ski hard. Of coarse, this may be just talk... so please someone with more knowledge either elaborate or correct me...

Alot of Salomons are full wood core Puzzled

I dont ski salomon though, better skis out there.
snow report
chimpsey wrote:

Can't beleive I'm going to stand up for Salomon here.

They used a lot of Foam cores over the the last 15 years or so but are now using woodcores in the majority of their skis and are even playing with bamboo next season.
I'm still not a fan but they have seen the error of their ways and are using wood now. I'm still not sure that I would consider skis like the Lord as a rockered ski though.
latest report
heh. i can make people say thing they dont want to!! NehNeh

just goes to show the last pair of skis i bought was.. oh 15 years ago and last time i was considering a purchase was 8 hence my knowledge of salomon core technology being so out of date...

thanks for the update.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy