Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season down under

Poster: A snowHead
Unfortunately I've just been credit crunched Sad With the job market in such an awful state at the moment I'm thinking this is a great opportunity to go and do a ski season down under. Very Happy

I'm BASI L2 and have done several courses towards my ISIA. I'm also a Coach at a local ski club so have regular and recent experience teaching children. My plan is to get a working holiday visa and try to apply for teaching jobs in NZ. I understand it's v competitive so without my ISIA I may not get a job in advnace and have to risk just turning up at the hiring clinics. Redundancy payout not great, so although it will cover my flight and visa I really need to be able to cover my living costs whilst out there.

SkiTigger has kindly given me advice on another thread, but thought I'd also start another thread on the topic. Does anyone have any advice or experience of doing the same?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1, sorry to hear about the job loss.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, thanks!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Las Lenas? How's your Spanish? Work on that off piste module all season & make plenty of copntacts for work in US & Canada in the future.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, Spanish non-existent! Where's Las Lenas? Already done my off piste module.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Argentina (nearest big city is Mendoza). Even better learn Spanish while you work.

Not sure NZ instructor pay is enough to live comfortably off as I know a guy who ski patrols there and delivers pizza in the evenings but I heard Aussie hiring clinics have relatively low standards.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^^^ that accords with what I heard - great fun but don't expect to make any money out of it
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1, Sorry to hear about your job, and good luck. Clearly NZ is favourite for ski conditions and a longer season, but Oz is probably easier to work in. I have friends who have done both, and no doubt Little Tiger could give you some names and places to apply to in Oz. good luck
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, thanks!

Arno, I don't need to make lots, just enough to not have to completely live off savings.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, i know a guy who has done two seasons in NZ email me next week when i am home and i will get you his contact details. nice guy and really helpful..

his vibe was similar to above, not a lot of work in NZ at times and a long commute on the workers bus in the mornings. Oz is more steady i think in terms of hours of work and if you decide on aus, i have two friends in courch who have taught several seasons in perisher, also a gal from my grade three worked a season down there as well and could be a good contact.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, thanks that would be cool. I looked at the Perisher website but couldn't see anything relating to employment. I need to be fairly quick i think to get applications in now, decide which country I'm going to and which working holiday visa to get.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1, I wonder if BASI has any contacts down under that it would be worth following up?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, i think individuals rather than basi itself would be able to help, so i've asked a couple of guys i know. Not that much help so far!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, it would be nice if BASI kept a database of contacts for employment opportunities.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, to be honest i think basi's too big to be able to help people individually with jobs. I don't think they'd give anymore than is on the website.
snow report
beanie1, AFAIK at all ski schools in Oz you will need to do the hiring clinic...

I know the names of a few of the boss people - but that is not going to help you a lot.... You just have to do the hiring clinic and get employed.... It will cost you a few hundred dollars (Australian) to do the clinic...

Last I looked all have a link to employment section on website...

Falls Creek and Hotham still have some on mountain accom... If you are at Perisher or Thredbo you will be living in Jindy and need a ride up each day. The hitching spot is just out of town and the 'system' requires leaving petrol money with driver... Wear your staff fleece/jacket if possible as this increases chance of a ride... Also there is a 'system' that says all rides are taken in order except if not going to your resort(2 different roads up 2 different valleys).... If they offer you accom on mountain at Perisher the word is RUN the other way unless you are a young kid that wants to get drunk every night... A friend did this and needed fast out - I had to get him accom at my friends to get him out.

Other possibilities - Howsons Gap or Mt Beauty for Falls (much cheaper than mountain but again you will need a ride), Bright for Hotham -ditto ride

My brothers friends managed Thredbo from a teepee in Berridale, and another friend lived there and commuted to Perisher but IMHO it is way too far... Jindy is around 30mins to Thredbo - good commute time ...

Most junior instructors work pizza/bar/cleaning/ etc on the side.... then again I know folks that did not and did OK... but some had other jobs off season... I know a few business people in a couple places but you will be required to work hard...
snow conditions
rob@rar, BASI have never kept a database or done anything to help members get jobs. (Unlike SIMS who send a newsletter with details of schools looking for people every autumn) An attempt to get a sort of union going to do just that sort of thing was squashed a very long time ago. Suggestions that they had a members page on the website which listed which resort people were in was met with 'well they'd never keep us up to date' sort of reaction. Pretty dire I'm afraid, once you've passed your exams. (Not to mention the 'BASI' credit card that wasn't available to full time instructors because we were 'seasonal' and 'self employed'), or the complete inability to send invoices for allowable expenses for full timers ..... grrrrrrrrrrr - sorry - rant over! rolling eyes
latest report
Oh and if you like working with small kids then Thredbo has special positions (3-6y.o. )... this will guarantee you regular hours.... You could speak to other resorts similarly... as many folks seem to not want small kids work.... so you may be able to get yourself more regular hours by agreeing to be the kids area staff
latest report
little tiger, thanks for all your advice. i'm not great with the really little ones, more the 6+.
ski holidays
You will also need to be able to get your own work visa... because you are not ISIA
snow report
little tiger, yup i know, luckily still qualify for working holiday visa!
snow report
beanie1, good...

Frano at Falls is a really great guy- tough though - he was my coach once- one of my all time favs .... ... Macca is the trainer... I think I'd have preferred Bobby myself... but Macca does know his stuff I think.... If you want you could contact currawong at www.ski.com.au she is a local and may have more recent info re extra work and accom... otherwise just try the ski school...

Perisher - try really hard to get on Blue Cow location - better AIUI - the word I heard is try to be anywhere except Perisher Valley(eg Smiggs)

Thredbo - my home mountain... I love the resort... but I hear ski school is a bit down since Brad and Monika retired... at least 2 of my preferred instructors left for Perisher...

Perisher - I know someone high up in race dept - if you don't mind heavy work (lugging gates etc) then maybe you could consider that as they seem to need events workers a bit... He could help you with Moguls skiing - that is his specialty area

Where ever you go let us know and I will have buddies dig up some contacts....

Try posting at www.ski.com.au and you should get contacts galore!
ski holidays
Skiing in Oz is gash.

Go to Chile.
ski holidays
beanie1, Just PM'd you some individual contacts for NZ Ski.
latest report
Check out this page http://www.nzski.com/employment/welcome.jsp It looks like they have instructor variances for the up coming season.

You can apply online just follow the links. The commute to Coronet Peak is less than 30 minutes from Queenstown and transport is provided. One of the big hassles is finding accommodation at reasonable rates so if you decide to come on down you would be smart to start hunting for you bed before you leave home.
If you only want to work OZ is OK but if you want to ski NZ if far better.

Remember South Island NZ has more permanent snow and ice than the European alps by far.
ski holidays
Just had response off my application for Cardrona. They had 400 applications for 20 places!! So feeling a bit despondent. No mention of a hiring clinic - anyone know if they run one? Don't see why they'd need to with that many applications to positions!
snow report
beanie1, just remembered a gal from my 2 tech did a season at Cardrona PM on way with details. perhaps she can give you a name...
latest report
beanie1, Many years ago I thought about working in Kiwi, but (as a Grade 1) they said I'd have to come anyway and ski off, so I never bothered! Too old (and too well qualified) to go to the other side of the world on the offchance! Sad I'm sure you already have written to everyone, but if not do it - whether you fancy the place or not. Regardless it'll be good training and practise - most seem to take some Kiwi exams too to add to your quiver. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, absolutely! Yes I've applied everywhere, even the North Island although I don't really fancy that. I'm determined to go anyway though so will go to the hiring clinics, and if I don't get anything through those (have a feeling with the downturn there will be way fewer opportunities) will try and get a job stacking supermarket shelves or something and just ski!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy