Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grateful for ski recommendation please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I’ve just found this site! I’d be very grateful if the good people on this forum could recommend me a ski. I’m 35, am 5’7” (170cm) and weigh 83kg (182pounds). I’ve been skiing for 30 years so am relatively good, its just a lack of fitness that is letting me down currently 

I only ski on piste but like steep black runs, no powder, small moguls are fine (knees aren’t what they used to be) with the occasional high-speed run. I would like a ski that can turn easily yet is still stable.

I live in London but ski in France and Austria and I ski about 20 days per year.

I tried the Stockli Laser SL 166cm last weekend and it was great, very stable, very quick ski. However they were quite energy draining (but that’s maybe because I’m unfit) and seemed a bit hard work. I was going to try the same ski in 161cm but the ski guy there reckoned it would be too short for me (but I thought it would be easier to turn?). Would the Stockli SC be easier to run (ans still stable?)

I then tried a Head Xenon Xi 10.0 and although it was incredibly easy to turn, it wasn’t very stable.

Im back in Austria in 2 weeks and will try the Fischer Progressor 8.

As above I be very grateful for people’s thoughts on the above or any other recommendations (also what length should I be going for).

Many thanks,
Brendon
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brendonj, Welcome

Stockli Stockli Stockli

The SC is just a gnat's down from the SL and fine to ski all day in, IMV...

How unfit is unfit.... they might encourage you to hoon around but shouldn't knacker you...????
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Im back in Austria in 2 weeks and will try the Fischer Progressor 8.

brendonj, you may already be aware that the Progressor 8 is effectively the new name of the RX8 (with a few minor tweaks) which is well loved by many Snowheads. If you search the forum for 'RX8' you should find many postings about it and what people think

BTW welcome to snowHead !!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Head Supershape Magnum
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When in Austria you may come across Blizzard G-Force Sonic. Give them a try. I have read very good reviews (but haven't skied them myself).
(There is also a Supersonic which is stiffer than Sonic, apparently).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
brendonj, I am exactly the same type of skier as you, bar the odd itinerie route

I agree with JT, The Stoekli laser SC was just head and shoulders above anything else I've tried...

With Head try the regular iSupershape - I loved these too
http://www.head.com/ski/ski.php?region=uk&tag=racing&id=1459

I've tried a few Race spec skis and not liked them - probably for the very good reason that I'm not nearly good enough to use them well, and anyway am not a racer but a hard-charging recreational skier.

Personally I haven't liked Rossy, and particularly Atomic skis - no idea why not - I think perhaps it's an alignment issue
latest report
 brian
brian
brendonj, the Stoeckli Laser SC should fit that spec perfectly. Quite fancy a pair myself actually for those days with no usable off piste.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guys many thanks for the replies! And apologies for the late reply its been a nightmare week.

Yep the Stoeckli really appeal. As I noted when I tried the SL they were great but quite hard work. Hopefully the SC will be a tad easier.

It looks as like I’m down to 4 choices:
1. Stoeckli Lase SC (163cm)
2. Head iSupershape (not sure about size, 160 or 165, will 160 be too short?)
3. Head Supershape Magnum (this seems to be a bit softer than the isupershape? Or will the iSupershape be too stiff?)
4. Fischer Progressor 8

Apologies for all the questions but I really do appreciate the help!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brendonj,
As the proud owner of Laser SC's, I can't recommend them highly enough. I'm 6'4" and 95kg, and ski on 170's, as I want something with a reasonably short turn radius. They are very easy to cruise around on, or go completely ballistic if the mood takes you. In fact I like them so much I've just bought another pair.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy