Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easiest resort for a Campervan break

Poster: A snowHead
I have recently fitted out my an with lovely new gas heaters and warm bedding and fancy an epic drive to the Alps for a long weekend skiing and kipping in the van

Any recommendations for the easiest resort to drive to in a van where there is no problem parking up and kipping for the weekend
Ta
Dave
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

There is a campsite in Meribel, Le Raffort - it is about 2 mins walk from the Olympic bubble which takes you right up to Meribel centre. I can't remember its name. The campsite also has a very nice restaurant, showers, washing room and ski room.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DaveB, do you have the right category of insulation? If not you'll still freeze. One of my friends has a standard UK spec camper and has recently done some research, concluding that his van wouldn't cope. Even with good insulation you also need insulating covers for the windscreen etc - there are loads of vans in our resort (Les Saisies) but they all have them. One of the camper parking areas in Les Saisies is free. No facilities, but super cheap and conveniently located. There's also a paying site, right near the piste.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, I have full screen covers and all of the panels are filled. I have fitted a proplex gas heater and even with that lot would take a 5 season bag and multiple duvets.

Thanks for the tips, the Meribel option sounds interesting as I love the 3V ski area.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can do it in Chamonix too. Plenty of parking though I don't know what the facilities are like. A friend of mine is doing a season at the moment in his van there and uses the leisure centre for a swim and a shower, this seems to be a popular option.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On the road between Les Carroz & Flaine there are a couple of lifts with their own huge car parks, There were camper vans parked on them the other week! free too, except no leccy to plug into?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice one in Grindelwald

http://www.eigernordwand.ch/index.php?userlang=en
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One morning in January when I passed the vans in Les Saisies their owners were almost all up on the roofs, shovelling off the accumulation of snow. That picture reminded me. Are those little porch things permanent on the site. telford_mike? They look very Swiss, unlike the ramshackle collection of garden shed/allotment type constructions you get on Italian sites.

The water (in and out) tanks need insulating too....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Right, booked and heading for La Tania 19th March. Van converted to propane, chains bought, insulation done...can't wait Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveB, I think you're nuts! But good luck and have a great time Madeye-Smiley .
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DaveB, Have a great time and let us know how things go. I've been thinking of doing the same thing myself so am really interested to hear how you get on. Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FYI there is a large free car park in Plagne Villages that many campers use. The public toilets and tap are only 100m away. But you'll need to grab your pitch early on a Saturday morning as it seems to be very popular.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stuntman Mike wrote:
On the road between Les Carroz & Flaine there are a couple of lifts with their own huge car parks, There were camper vans parked on them the other week! free too, except no leccy to plug into?

There is also an "official" site near the gondola at Samoens which (I assume) has electric hook-ups?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks stevo, can you give me a pointer to where Samoens is.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveB, Grand Massif 265kms of wonderful pistes. Linked with Flaine, Morillon, Sixt and Les Carroz. The camping a very short walk from the Gondola too!
latest report
I feel a bit of a knob now as I thought it was a campsite Embarassed Embarassed

Looks ideal though and a straightforward drive from Calais. My ski buddy is starting to wimp out and wants a B&B any recommendations (I'm staying in the van though)
latest report
DaveB,
Alpe d'Huez has 2 areas for campervans, one is right by a lift and a 50m walk from shops and the leisure centre. It is 10€ a night though, but I believe that includes some electric, some water and a place to empty your dirty water tank if you have one. The 10€ has gone up from 4€ a couple of years ago because it does seem to be very popular, probably something like 60 or 70 vehicles between both sites ? You will find details on the alpe d'huez website.
latest report
DaveB, By car - between 7 and 8 hours from Calais.
snow report
DaveB,

A friend took his campervan to Serre Chevalier. The campsite was very close to the lifts. He was so impressed he's intending to spend next winter there in his campervan. (His campervan is very well insulated)
snow conditions
Some great campsites in Italy very close to the lifts but it's a bit of a dog to drive to. Corvara / Colfrosco in the Dolomites springs to mind. The italians live and die in campervans so the facilties are generally very good there.... or you could try the Tamworth snowdome car park for a short drive.... or Scotland!... maybe not.... rolling eyes
snow report
SnowGod, Tamworth now charge for parking, and I wouldn't want to spend the night on that car park TBH Laughing
snow conditions
The bugs..... oh well.... thats my holiday plans scuppered!
snow report
Had a very close shave today. We are heading off on Thursday and I thought I'd better check the oil. Turns out that there was a small leak as the sump plug was cross threaded..would have been a nightmare if it had come out on the road.

Luckily I've been going to the same garage for 10 years and they sorted it out today as a priority. We've decided to head for Bourg St Maurice first, do two days at Les Arcs and then go to either La Tania or Meribel after that. See you all on the slopes Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
we have just come back from livigno in ours and the snow was amazing. check out these pics http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/spannah8/Livvy2009
snow report
Great snaps. How long did you go for? Did the site have HOT showers!!! Was the van warm enough? Saw van's packed up in Le Thuile a few years ago and it crossed my mind about trying it out.... In other words is it worth it? i.e buying a van, fuel, maintenance etc? snowHead
ski holidays
hubby was out for a month and me and the kids flew out for 2 weeks over half term. yes the site had full facilities and very hot showers, washing machines etc we have used the van for the last 5 years and find it very easy and cost effective as a family although it wasn't that cost effective this year with the exchange rate as it was. fuel is duty free in livigno and we fill up in luxembourg en route so diesel on our journey is very cheap. we use the van alot so maintenance isn't an issue as we would have to do it anyway. we have a little one who has been coming with us since she was born just over 3 years ago and the van has been very convenient in that respect, also we can take as many clothes as we want, ski gear, boots, ski's and food without any extra hidden charges. the other thing is we have the flexibility. we arrive in the resort the day before changeover day so we get a whole day a week pretty much with the mountain to ourselves, we can also leave when we want. this year the snow was over 3 metres deep and thats not easy to push a push chair in! we also noticed the bad weather coming in and were expecting heavy snow for the 3 days before we were leaving. we decided to leave early as skiing wouldn't have been much fun for us in heavy snow and also not much fun to drive a 28ft camper! we left and headed over to eurodisney for a few days instead! it can be hard work but we enjoy the travelling, arriving and leaving when we want, not having to cram as much skiing into such a short space of time and also having the odd bbq out in the snow in the glorious sunshine....great fun!!!
hannah
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy