Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel????

Poster: A snowHead
Wags, thanks. Looked at the piste map and it supports that; no accesst to 1650.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
t40ora wrote:
Trenmold, and The Flying Snowplough, Sounds good; it's not too much for an early intermediate is it?

MissRibena, I'm sure we'd be happy to meet up! We're not experienced skiiers though, so you might just want to meet for coffee rather than skiing! And we're getting a couple of A3 prints of the piste maps done and WILL bore people too.

BTW Apparently we can ski from our Hotel at 1850 down to 1650 really easily to pick up gondolas/lifts. Does this sound right?

There's some great cruisy blues over towards 1650 as you build up strength for the Combe De Saulire at the end of the week!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
t40ora, Coffee sounds great but I'm no Bode Miller myself Smile I'll be checking in again closer to the date to see if there are any other snowheads in the area.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bored@work,
Quote:

If you go to St Martin de Bel view there is a great place with a terrace that makes it own burgers to die for. I cant recall the name but its 20 meters below the gondola station, might be darlia or similar.

MMMmmm, which gondola station please?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I presume he means the St Martin 1 Gondola, there's a small snow front at the bottom of it. Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stevew,

A-ha now I see. Bit of a long way for a burger!!!! We wont be able to make it that far as we only get to ski the morning while my 2 year old is in creche. Have to save that one for another year, thanks anyway!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've stayed at the Coq de Bruyere two years running the week before Christmas. OK it may be a bit rough around the edges for some but this year was an improvement on last and the location is fantastic. Rooms are really variable and because I had read mixed reports and book very early I asked for all the larger rooms. Agree with earlier comments that 1650 is a great area and food more reasonably priced. We went to a lovely little bistro/cafe in the main street which was really friendly and served homemade soup and bacon rolls to die for without the silly 1850 prices. You're well-fed at the Coq so could just get away with taking lots of snacks in your pocket and stopping for hot drinks. The best value food we've found is at Motteret with the plastic cow outside. The Coq does ski exploring as part of the holiday (Total Ski) so may be worth checking that out - they'll do different ability groups and it can be fun to be taken on their favourite runs etc. Fabulous location, wonderful resort .... wish I was coming with you!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wags, thanks for the info.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just back from Courchevel 1850 and had a ball! Very very expensive... think at least £10 for 2 coffees/cokes... and NEVER EVER go to Le Tremplin (at La Croisette) for Tartiflette. 2 tartiflette, 2 cokes and 2 coffees for £72!!!! Nearly died!

Actually Chalet de Pierre (on the Bellecote, I think) was good for lunch and less expensive than places in the "centre". L'Aventure at the other side of the Croisette was lovely for lunch, but quite expensive.. but better than most!!

Also be sure to max out your excitement by checking out the 396 degree webcam at http://livecam.courchevel.com/index.php?langue=2. You can even run movies of the last month, etc.!!

Very jealous... have a great time - the snow is AWESOME and the runs superb... another tip would be to make sure your liftpass is bought here rather than leaving it until you get there.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
MissRibena wrote:
t40ora, Coffee sounds great but I'm no Bode Miller myself Smile I'll be checking in again closer to the date to see if there are any other snowheads in the area.

OK MissRibena. If you do want to meet up with the wife and me, and any other snowheads out there, we can exchange mobies nearer the time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tillywhim, thanks. I guess we'll have to see what we get. I think the room is 48, a double. But as long as the room is warm, bed is clean and dry and the shower works properly we'll be OK. We have a funny diet, but that has been passed on to the hotel so hopefully we will still get fed well enough for just snacks and drinks at lunch. I think I'll be loading up on Kendal Mintcake!

ShoppingTrolley, £72? Bloody hell. Oatcakes and Kendall Mint Cake for us then! I've looked at the 360 cam and it just made me morose as I want to be there NOW!

Re. liftpass; is it that much cheaper here? Any advice as to how to buy it? I guess online....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
t40ora, we got ours through our holiday company (Crystal), but I believe you can get them online... perhaps not cheaper (now), but certainly less queueing! And stop with the morose chat... at least you're GOING and haven't just BEEN!! Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ShoppingTrolley, fair point! But I'm stuck in a raggedy hotel in bloody Guernsey and the 15th March seems a lfetime away. I'll ask the rep at Iglu Ski and also look online for the ski pass. I may be British but I'm all for cutting queue time! Was it busy out there, with kids on half term?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
t40ora, We were there the last week in January, and it was dead... had the slopes to ourselves. Was there 2 years ago at Easter and it was much busier, but the beauty of Courchevel is that there are so many runs, you can always find space to ski (which is important, if you ski like me!). The only difference was the queues for the lifts - at Easter, quite busy... in January, you walked straight on.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ShoppingTrolley, that sounds good for us then. After the half term and way before Easter. Yeah, I need loads of room too! Sometimes turning or stopping can be quite interesting for me, so I need some space!
latest report
My main tip - rob a bank before leaving ! Seriously though, look on www.courchnet.com and select the Winter tab - lots of decent information there.
latest report
stevew wrote:
t40ora wrote:
BTW Apparently we can ski from our Hotel at 1850 down to 1650 really easily to pick up gondolas/lifts. Does this sound right?

Can't see that, the only way to 1650 on ski's from 1850 is via the altiport area down to the "fruit bowl" and I can't visualize any hotels in that area, do you mean ski down to 1550?

Rubbish - Up the Saulire Cable Car or the Vizelle out of 1850, head down to the rock above Meribel, swing left down the CREUX, take any of the lifts on your right, Chanrossa etc then ski all the way down to 1650 - you are in. EASY!

You'll have a good time, Courchevel area is great but don't be put off from travelling around the 3V - if you check put the connections you can get around quickly with only a few lifts.. Have a good one! Very Happy
snow report
dsoutar, that's scratching the itch until the 15th, along with the 360 camShoppingTrolley.

Robbof, I'll be getting A3 prints of the piste maps this weekend so I can plan out that route/those lifts.
latest report
Robbof wrote:
stevew wrote:
t40ora wrote:

Can't see that, the only way to 1650 on ski's from 1850 is via the altiport area down to the "fruit bowl" and I can't visualize any hotels in that area, do you mean ski down to 1550?

Rubbish - Up the Saulire Cable Car or the Vizelle out of 1850, head down to the rock above Meribel, swing left down the CREUX, take any of the lifts on your right, Chanrossa etc then ski all the way down to 1650 - you are in. EASY!

I was meaning skiing down (before taking Roc Mugner (sp) or Prameul back up) rather than taking any lifts, I wasn't sure whether there any hotels that could access those runs in the Pralong area - pedant moment over.
snow conditions
stevew wrote:
Robbof wrote:
stevew wrote:
t40ora wrote:

I was meaning skiing down (before taking Roc Mugner (sp) or Prameul back up) rather than taking any lifts, I wasn't sure whether there any hotels that could access those runs in the Pralong area - pedant moment over.

Yep - can ski to 1550 but not to 1650... but then all the best lifts (IMO) are at 1850 anyway, so why would ya?
ski holidays
ShoppingTrolley, I was asking simply because the rep said we could ski out of the hotel down a long meandering blue path to 1650.

Not knowing the resort, I don't know if it is possible or beneficial. But it looks like I don't need to worry because the skiing world will be my mollusc in Courchevel!
snow report
Quote:

we could ski out of the hotel down a long meandering blue path to 1650.

I don't know that area very well but I DO know that there is no way from 1850 to 1650 just by skiing down - it most definitely involves lifts, too. He probably meant 1550 (which I never went to when staying at 1650 because the snow was rubbish and there wasn't really any point going down to 1550m). We were staying in 1650, and I had lessons at 1850 whereas the OH's lessons were at 1650 - from 1850 I used to get the bus back down to 1650 to meet him for lunch - which I certainly wouldn't have done if there was a "meandering blue path" straight down there, as buses are always a PITA.

At that point (with poor snow all over) Courchevel 1650 had the best snow in the whole of the 3 Valleys - unanimous opinion of a sizeable chalet full of skiers who roamed the whole area each day, whereas because of our lessons we just did the Courchevel Valley (which has tons of skiing).
snow conditions
Ski pass question.

As we're only novices and haven't been to the resort before, is it worth getting a lift pass for the whole of the 3 Vs or just Courchevel? It's a difference of about £40 each, which by the sounds of it is equivalent to a couple of coffees in some places! But no point wasting cash if there is no benefit.

Advice????????????
snow report
t40ora, get the CVL pass - there's loads of skiing there to keep novices happy. If you want to go anywhere else you can upgrade to 3V for a day if you like.
snow report
Lizzard, thanks. Sounds sensible advice.
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
t40ora, get the CVL pass - there's loads of skiing there to keep novices happy. If you want to go anywhere else you can upgrade to 3V for a day if you like.

I agree with that!!
snow report
t40ora, I agree too - Courchevel pass will be more than adequate.
latest report
t40ora Courchevel pass will be more than enough. If you are real novices then take advantage of the free beginners lifts in both 1650 and 1850. A great resort Madeye-Smiley Have a wonderful time Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flying planet, the beginners lift sounds good for when we arrive. We should be there pretty early but my wife is unlikely to want a lift pass for the day/half day and I won't go without her. So a couple of gentle runs down the beginners shpuld be a nice gentle start. Thanks for the advice!
snow conditions
If you are googling for reviews etc the English spelling is (mostly) Courcheval.

Not my favourite resort but amazing grooming and waitresses to die for in the Pizzeria near the centre of 1650
ski holidays
Just got back today.

Fantastic time. Fantastice place.

We will be going back!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy