Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arc 1950

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been here this season? Is an option for next season, but saw an article in the Daily Mail by Quentin Letts which wasn't too favourable. We are mixed group and are thinking of staying in the apartments and the hotel in the new Canadian development.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd take unfavourable review by Quentin Letts as a recommendation - I can't stand him. Aaarrrgggh!!

What did he say?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was at 2000 in April. I though 1950 was fine. OK it's a bit "soul-less" but then most of these purpose-built resorts are. It's got superb access to the best snow, and that's what I rate.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alan, in a nutshell, he mainly moaned about the drive to the resort with kids etc, also that it was a building site, only thing he rated was the nanny service which may be a useful recommendation. Snow kidz, various locations in alps and a UK run company. Was daily mail in Saturday travel section, possibly on mail website.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went through a few times with an instructor. Looked ok, bit of an eyesore if you have a buliding site to look at. He did say they were having problems as many buildings were suffering quite bad cracks as they had not been built too well and had not taken into account movement. He said that one building has had to be closed for major repairs!

Good base though I would have thought.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stayed at 2000 last year which is next door and I would say it makes a great place.
You've got the fantastic height of 2000 - which means you're on highest part of Les Arcs domain so the snow cover is fab - and its a brilliant ski area. Arcs 2000 is big and ugly - at least 1950 they are trying to build it to look a bit prettier. A few nice shops and because they're new - nicer than the ones in 2000.
Apart from the downside mentioned above re. building quality I would have been a little put off as a beginner there. It has a blue run down to it - but it could get bumpy and icy by the afternoon because its used by lots of people heading for the lifts and trees below 1950, and I hate having a crap last run of the day! (Fortunately over that stage now - but I remember what it was like when i was learning! - although there is a gondola from 2000 that you could use instead or walk!)
p.s. have been to espace killy (tignes), 3 valleys (meribel) and la plagne (champagny) before and les arcs is my favourite of the large french areas.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sallyanne, I skiied there last week (though wasn't staying there) - there are still big cranes, etc. in place although I would guess the actual building work would be limited at the moment.

Arc 1950 is much better looking than 2000 but it looks a bit too "Disney" for my taste - depends what your priorities are; if apres-ski and/or a traditional village are top of your list then it may disappoint - the skiing, on the other hand, is fantastic. That said, Arc 1600 and 1800 are much better suited for Beginners and Lower Intermediates - the 2000 valley is close to Nirvana for confident skiers.

sallyanne wrote:
he mainly moaned about the drive to the resort with kids etc

Puzzled Eh? What did he expect? A magic carpet ride to the top of the mountain??? It's a high mountain resort for goodness sake - and less than half an hours drive out of Bourg when the road is clear (can be somewhat longer with the chains on, of course).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
J2Dave,

I stayed in Arc 2000 in Jan 04. Our transfer coach was held at Geneva for an hour waiting for another flight and then took 4 hours to get to BSM and another hour to climb to Arc 2000. No pee break at all!

When we finally arrived, the driver turfed the 4 of us out into the darkness and left us there - several hundred yards from the lift to the hotel, as it turned out!

If the reporter's experience was like mine, I think his gripe / warning is justified - the journey would certainly be ugly with kids in tow.

However, once we were there, it was Heaven for a week. Crap journey back to Geneva as well but who cares...?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Red Leon wrote:
...coach was held at Geneva for an hour waiting for another flight and then took 4 hours to get to BSM and another hour to climb to Arc 2000 ... I think his gripe / warning is justified

Can't agree with that - what's that got to do with Les Arcs as opposed to any other ski resort? He might as well complain that it was a bit cold outside... wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy