Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler next week- tips/advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Long time lurker here, but my upcoming holiday to Whistler next week has me so excited I can't resist posting to ask for some tips or insider info on how best to enjoy the trip! Very Happy snowHead

Looks like the temps on the hill can vary quite a bit? I have my trusty HH thermals (dry), but how many other layers do you tend to go for? I hate carrying a bag, although it does make it easier to adjust the layers through the day... maybe I could con Mr FigJam into being the packhorse?! wink I just know that I'll never get it right and freeze my butt off one day then swelter the next! rolling eyes

I know everyone's complaining about the lack of snow this year, but compared to what I'm used to skiing in Scotland, it looks like being more than enough! Laughing

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FigJam, mind if I jump on your Whistler band wagon? I'm off there in a few weeks and have only ever skied the Alberta-side of the mountains before. I'd particularly like to know the best areas on the mountains to head to avoid the crowds (if that's possible...).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome aboard- the more the merrier! Smile

I went to the US Rockies ten years ago, but never skied Canada, so all tips are welcome. I know Whistler do a "Fresh Trax" deal where for $17 you get brekkie on the mountain and then an extra hour snowtime before the lifts open to the public. Tickets are limited to a few hundred, so it's like having Glenshee or Cairngorm to yourself really! Laughing Definitely going to do this at least once or twice.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Probably best to avoid the Excalibur Gondola Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ahhh, come on, surely you have to back that statement up with an explaination/humourous tale?!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FigJam wrote:
Ahhh, come on, surely you have to back that statement up with an explaination/humourous tale?!

The words Excalibure Gondola in the above post are a link to the explanation.

Why it doesn't look like a link, I'm not sure. But here it is again.

http://www.financialpost.com/most_popular/story.html?id=1083212
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Whistler do a "Fresh Trax" deal where for $17 you get brekkie on the mountain and then an extra hour snowtime before the lifts open to the public.

Seconded ... a very pleasant way to start the day. Being up that early also means you'll be ready to take an early lunch, which means you'll be back on the snow whilst everyone else is dissapearing into the mountain restaurants for theirs.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alex_heney wrote:

http://www.financialpost.com/most_popular/story.html?id=1083212

Ooops, I apologise! (it's Monday, my brain has not quite warmed up yet! Embarassed ) I do remember reading that when it happened!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Excalibur was the Gondola where the tower failed in December - all fixed now. Re clothing - it's a long way up from the village to the peak and if you think the weather can be bad from the car park to the top of the summit at Cairngorm, it can be even worse. Good thing is when the weather's bad head for the trees. Head for Symphony bowl on a fresh powder day, a couple of years back it was a day's hiking to play in the powder. Also - get the hiddeen whistler guide books (there are 2 - Intermediate and Expert) - lots of unmarked runs into sections off each chairlift. We're heading over on Saturday - may catch you there!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good tip about the guides, thanks big-q! Looks like there's snow forecast for the weekend, so should be nice and fresh for us getting there. Smile

We're taking a couple laptops with us and the apartment has wi-fi, so should be able to check the weather reports before leaving for the day, should help with the no. of layers decision! I don't remember feeling the cold in Breckenridge as much as some days at Scottish resorts, I think it's to do with the wind chill!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whistler Brewhouse brews their own beer and does some pretty good food, and if the body is knackered head for Peak Performance physios. Best apres ski massage in Whistler, and a good bit cheaper than the Spas!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Take a couple of free tours with the ski hosts on each mountain: these guys (i) are great skiers and (ii) will know the best places to go.

Read wbsr's blog for day-by-day reports and suggestions (http://whistlerblackcombsnowreport.com/)

Weather reports are partly useful - conditions can change rapidly, and you can find layers of cloud/fog at different heights at different times on the same day.

Ski Peak to Creek the morning after they've groomed it (Wednesday's are usually good) and have lunch at Dusty's

If it's a sunny day, ski the Blackcomb Glacier

Don't forget your waterproofs (although it looks like the weather's set fair for the immediate future)

Despite being a much publicised hangout for celebs, Sushi Village is good value
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Acacia, yes peak to creek after its been groomed is nice. I made the mistake last year of encountering the moguls.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Acacia- great tips. I recall reading about the ski hosts, sounds really good and worth getting the local knowledge on best places to go. (what a fab job that must be!) We're staying in creekside, so I'd already picked out Peak to Creek as a favourite, although I have to agree with prog99 that nicely groomed pistes are much more fun than moguls, I'm far too lazy for them! Laughing

Changable weather sounds very familiar! wink I may have to resort to carrying a pack after all, will see how it goes the first few days, I just get fed up carting them around. I have my shiny new goggles for sunny days and a trusty old pair of orange lenses for the rest of the time!

Can't wait for Sunday to roll around! snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Moe Joe's.

John.
snow report
Make sure your ski kit is properly waterproof. When we went last year on a couple of days it was raining at resort level even though it was snowing slightly further up the mountain. We got drenched skiing back into whistler.
snow conditions
BCJohnny- thought you were a local when I saw your user ID, but looked at your location and saw it was the "wrong" BC! Laughing

lower- all kit (jackets and trousers) have been washed and reproofed with NikWax in preparation! Although if it fails it gives me a perfect excuse to go mad in the shops...! wink
snow report
I wish. Laughing

Just back from from the "real" BC, and heading out to Alberta in a couple of weeks, so doing my best...............

If you do fancy a lively night out try Moe Joes, but avoid the staff night (if it's still held there) and get there before the queue forms.

Have a good one.

John.
latest report
I'll second the Whistler Brewhouse, brown ale nearly as good as from Newcastle, good food and a train running round the ceilling. Big bar at bottom of piste has (or had) ladies giving massages. Wife would not let me partake so let Mr Figjam have one. Good waffles at Horstman Hut. We did a lot of skiing as well.
snow report
The skiing is phenomenal. And that's the pistes. Am officially jealous. Everyone is so friendly. Try the poutine at the Glacier caff - what's not to like about chips cheese and gravy... Toofy Grin

We found a brewpub at the foot of the slopes last year called Blacks [I think] that suited the beer drinking, icehockey loving, live music side, and the food was ok.
latest report
MarjMJ wrote:
The skiing is phenomenal. And that's the pistes. Am officially jealous. Everyone is so friendly. Try the poutine at the Glacier caff - what's not to like about chips cheese and gravy... Toofy Grin

Poutine! That's the name of it! Our transfer driver was an Aussie guy when we were skiing in France a couple of years ago and he said he'd done a season in Canada. I could remember him going on about a popular dish, but couldn't remember the name of it, thanks MarjMJ!

JulesB- hmmm... home-brewed beer and ladies giving massages?! Mr FigJam might like that too much! Laughing

Only three more sleeps... not that I'm excited or anything...! wink snowHead
ski holidays
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Poutine.

This is an acquired taste. Personally, I use it as the outstanding example that the French influence in Quebec does not extend to the cuisine.
snow report
In bad weather, mid-mountain Blackcomb is the place to be due to trees.

Some great tree skiing on Blackcomb, check out 'Bark Sandwich' as a warm up, and if you like that, find Outer Limits, In the Spirit, Arthurs Choice, all off Crystal Chair. There plenty others too ...

Try to get first chair, or as soon after as you can. have lunch by 11.30 so restaurants are quieter, and no lift lines between noon-1pm. If its clear or weather is decent, head high on either mountain and explore. You'll have a ball. Hit harmony early and move on after 2-3 runs when crowds arrive. Same for 7th Heaven.

There's only so many poutine that you can eat in your life Smile
snow conditions
Check out the Garibaldi Lift Company for early apres - great nachos and pitchers of beer.

Hike the Blackcomb Glacier if you're a strong intermediate or better.

7th Heaven lift is great for intermediate powder, also hit the Harmony Express for some nice tree skiing - especially after a few inches of new snow.

Good steeps and powder off the Peak chair, but windy and cold so wrap up.

Hy's does fantastic steaks.

I'll third the Whistler Brewhouse...
ski holidays
Take an Umbrella for time in the village... wink
snow report
Definitely try and eat a large serving of nachos from Merlins. If you can finish them on your own you are officially nails.
snow report
If you like to ski steep slopes try "Extremely Canadian". You do 2 days, one on each mountain. Very, very good - better than Jackson Hole Steep and Deep as I experienced it. Perhaps the latter had got too big.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy