Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggle design- what next?

Poster: A snowHead
Im currently studying product design in the UK.

Im researching a brief which may interests all you fans of the snow.... It is entitled "eye protection within sports". Obviously, snowboard and ski enthusiasts were my immediate thoughts as i know that most of you wear some type of goggle or shades as protection from both the sun and powder (and also because they look really cool!)

What do you like about your goggles? What makes them personal to you? Is there anything different you'd consider when buying "eye protection"?

Im not gunna leave it all up to you, a few of my initial ideas are listed below. Some also apply to other sports.

Folding glasses/goggles
Storage for goggles
alternative means of cleaning the lense (squeegie/windscreen wiper lens?)
Recording rides via Goggle camera
Lights incorporated into the goggles
Heads up information
Elasticated strap to hold on sunglasses
Cross breed of sunglasses/goggles
Music in goggles/shades

Id just like to know what you all think....the more thoughts the better, all criticism is good....
Cheers guys
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Eyesight correction incorporated in the lens rather than as an insert
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
danindustrial wrote:

Folding glasses/goggles
Storage for goggles
alternative means of cleaning the lense (squeegie/windscreen wiper lens?)
Recording rides via Goggle camera
Lights incorporated into the goggles
Heads up information
Elasticated strap to hold on sunglasses
Cross breed of sunglasses/goggles
Music in goggles/shades

I think there are examples of all of those on the market already. What I'd really be interested in was some kind of new light/contrast intensifying product aimed at the retail market which would radically improve seeing conditions in flat light and whiteouts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm reckoning that whatever you do decide to design it needs to be one thing: robust. There must be loads of really cool things you could think about designing but to be successful the product has to:

1) be able to endure the knocks and tumbles (face plants for boarders like myself who just love eating snow rolling eyes Laughing ),
2) must be waterproof so any elctronic gadgets you do think of must be able to stand a soaking,
3) something that does not add any more bulk as they would quickly look stupid and would feel too clumsy,
4) something that is not just a 'have a go once' gimick so someone would want to actually shell out the hard-earned to buy a pair.

From your list above I now have the image of everyone sporting goggles with fitting-in windscreen wipers much like the little ones I used to have on my first car - Volvo 340 - man, that would be funny Laughing

Oh, welcome to snowHeads and good on you for doing your research Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some sort of anti-scratch coating for mirrored lenses. My Electrics looked soooo good untill they got a few wee scratches.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lens Colour
I have one pair of goggles and bought what was supposedly a general purpose lens colour (amber). There are so many colours of lenses for sale I still don't fully understand the purpose of all of them. You can buy goggles with 3 or 4 interchangeable lenses but that's darned fiddly with frozen fingers. What would I want? To be able to have just one pair, where the lens that could, by some mechanism (auto or manual if it was easily operated), be easily altered to take account of different lighting conditions, eg dull, bright, flat light. I haven't noticed very many "reactolite" type goggles about, so maybe they are not the answer.

Self-Cleaning
If this is a wish list, I'd also incorporate self-cleaning nanotechnology. Titania (TiO2) is photocatalytic - in the presence of light organic deposits and bacteria are broken down. Titania is also superhydrophilic, so water spreads out forming a very thin "sheet" rather than sitting as the tiny droplets that cause fogging. This sheet of water carries away the dirt broken down by the photocatalytic action. The down side? Cost. I am not sure if this technology has yet been used on plastics or only on glass.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Goggles that genuinely do not fog up
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Butterfly wrote:
Lens Colour
To be able to have just one pair, where the lens that could, by some mechanism (auto or manual if it was easily operated), be easily altered to take account of different lighting conditions, eg dull, bright, flat light.

That was my first thought... A goggle lens that would react to light conditions and alter its shade/contrast to provide the best tint for those conditions... The rest is pretty much gimmicks IMO.
They are already plenty of durable and comfortable goggles om the market... Most of them will aslo fit helmets nowadays..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great stuff guys, some really good comments!

The stuff about the lenses is interesting, especially the interchagable idea. So the idea would be....that with some kind of user action, it would be popular to change this?.....i like

Any thoughts on the "recording via camera?" as mountain bikers have expressed the need for such technology....Is this the case for you guys? Obviously it would need to look cool and less clumbersome...! Are helmet cams popular? do you see any advantages of a camera in the goggles/shades?

Do you guys ever record rides/sessions? Anyone ever serious about making boarding movies of themselves/mates?

Ace feedback people.....thanks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
danindustrial wrote:
Im currently studying product design in the UK.

Im researching a brief which may interests all you fans of the snow.... It is entitled "eye protection within sports". Obviously, snowboard and ski enthusiasts were my immediate thoughts as i know that most of you wear some type of goggle or shades as protection from both the sun and powder (and also because they look really cool!)

Maybe I'm in the minority but I wear goggles to help me see when skiing. I don't imagine goggles could ever make me or anyone look cool, unless I missed the snaps of Kate Moss falling out of a bar at 2am wearing Jimmy Choo's and A-frames. Confused

For me, automatic change of filter to adapt to different light conditions would be top priority, so I only need one set of eye protection (my default choice is sunnies, except when light/snow conditions dictate otherwise). Like reactolite, only one that works.

Second, a warning system to detect other snow users moving at great velocity in my direction, but far away enough to avoid them rather than just brace for impact.

Third, a way to locate skis if I have a premature release (ahem) in powder. Like a radar system - look left, look up, look right... dig!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
danindustrial wrote:
Great stuff guys, some really good comments!

The stuff about the lenses is interesting, especially the interchagable idea. So the idea would be....that with some kind of user action, it would be popular to change this?.....i like

Any thoughts on the "recording via camera?" as mountain bikers have expressed the need for such technology....Is this the case for you guys? Obviously it would need to look cool and less clumbersome...! Are helmet cams popular? do you see any advantages of a camera in the goggles/shades?

Do you guys ever record rides/sessions? Anyone ever serious about making boarding movies of themselves/mates?

Ace feedback people.....thanks

The camera thing has been done to death. Loads of helmet cams come with mounts/clips which can attach to goggle straps etc.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yeah auto adjust lenses for light and contrast, would be ideal...also HUD display projection would be ace...speed, direction alti...rear view etc.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sps89 wrote:
The camera thing has been done to death. Loads of helmet cams come with mounts/clips which can attach to goggle straps etc.

Done to death it may have been but I'm yet to find a system that works well, they mostly flop around on the straps, wobble on the helmet or just end up pointing in some random direction.

On that front I'd like to see either a built in lens mounted front and centre or a flat area for a clip at the side - couple that with a goggle lens mounted Newton Ring sight (like skydiving cameramen use) and you'd know exactly where the camera was pointing all the time.

Gimmicky though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You could use a ring sight but that could potentially have unplesant consequenses in a faceplant situation, Now if it were me and I had access to the required materials/technology, I'd build a decent quality lens with a small zoom range into the goggles ideally locating the lens above the nose, then I'd incorperate electro luminescent material into the goggle lens, so that when the camera is on a variable sized ring would appear on the lens itself showing the viewable area
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scratch resistant lens.
latest report
FenlandSkier wrote:
On that front I'd like to see either a built in lens mounted front and centre or a flat area for a clip at the side - couple that with a goggle lens mounted Newton Ring sight (like skydiving cameramen use) and you'd know exactly where the camera was pointing all the time.

Something like this but for skiing rather than scuba.
snow report
Small proximity camera facing backwards that flashes a warning light as someone comes within 20 metres of you.
ski holidays
To be honest I think that a helmet mounted cam is better. It would be easier to improve the fixture of your helmet camera than design a camera that is an integral part of goggles. Also if you wanted to change your goggles for any reason you'd have to change the camera too (or buy goggles from a limited range that are compatible).
snow conditions
I think the killer app is the flat light contrast intensifier.

The heated element (running off no more than a single AAA battery) might vbe good too though I think thats been done.

Sweat dispersing foam might be pleasant but not essential.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy