Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

High Altitude tonight (Sunday 15/02) or BBC iPlayer

Poster: A snowHead
Peter Ross wrote:
...How about a thread on how I skied down a blue run really slowly at 15 kmph, I was so scared Madeye-Smiley

15,000 mph, now that does sound pretty scary. wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
superchoward wrote:
DrBullet, I'm not saying it wouldn't be scary, I definitely wouldn't do it! I haven't skied at the speeds of downhill skiers either although IMO going as fast as they do down a course with bends, jumps and obstacles e.g. cliff faces and rocks would be scarier than that. Both of them are brave guys for sure, I just think they overdramatise things each week on the programme but the content is excellent.

Are you presuming he was relaxed and chilled just before setting off down the Hahnenkamm? Almost certainly bricking himself then too and I don't blame him. I think their reactions are genuine, even though it does come across as being dramatic on TV. What an amazing job to have.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Ross wrote:
DrBullet, I think I would feel sick also, Graham Bell was looking pretty nervous also and he was a downhiller! Both activities the presenter did on Sunday were scary.

But in speed skiing how do you get faster? Leaving aside the kit and the slope steepness etc. from a skier technique perspective what is required? As it looks like its about tucking and that's about it?

Spikyhedgehog, I clocked about 100km/h in a speed test in Val Gardena and that was my first fun. I'd say if I took off my jacket and tucked a bit more 120km would be achieveable.

From a skiing point of view, it's about keeping your skis as flat and straight as possible. This may sound simple but the flatter the ski the more lateral "wash"...and more lateral movement causes turbulence (and therefore drag) and increases chance of catching an edge and falling (or breaking your tuck and slowing down). Most skiers, at very high speeds will "go up onto their edges" to some extent to counteract this effect. However, it is very difficult to do this without entering (however slight) a snowplough position. Any deviation from absolutely parallel skis will have an enormous effect on speed.

The skiers tuck will also affect the impact of this scenario. If the skier gets "back seat", particularly towards the bottom of the course where the compression (there is almost ALWAYS some compressive effect) will force the weight backwards; the skiers weight will be transfered into the tails of their skis and push the tails out thereby exacerbating the snowploughing effect.

So, the ideal technique is to keep your skis as flat as possible but maintain lateral control by very judicious use of edging....whilst pushing forward to keep your weight between your toes. The differene this can make is HUGE. On the same run where I focused on my tuck rather than focusing letting my skis run, I would say I was up to 5% slower...that's 10kph above 200kph!

Ps. Various racers have different edge set ups. Generally racers run edges which have been dramatically de-tuned. Myself and Marc Poncion probably had the most extremely polished, completely rounded edges on the citcuit...this enabled tolerance of some lateral wash and reduced the penalty for any edging for controling lateral stablility.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the reason for the 'exaggerated' reactions is perhaps because me and you would probably keep our traps firmly shut in fear of undertaking these tasks. On TV as presenters they need to say something, they can hardly be silent. By talking about it in that manner it helps them to deal with their nerves. That is what I suspect, but it gets irritating when the BBC keeps showing them repeating themselves.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was a bit puzzled by last nights episode. All the palaver rescuing him - but who was on the other end of the rope that he was on?? Did I miss something? Having said that I thought it was good that they showed how easy it is to get into trouble.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
firebug wrote:
I was a bit puzzled by last nights episode. All the palaver rescuing him - but who was on the other end of the rope that he was on?? Did I miss something?

They did say at the start of that segment that they had people standing by and on the end of the rope. And obviously for that one, thehre was also at least one cameraman around.

I think if they felt he was in serious danger at any point, they would have pulled him out, but otherwise just wanted to show how difficult rescue could be.

Quote:

Having said that I thought it was good that they showed how easy it is to get into trouble.

Agreed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah, I guess you're right. Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its interesting that he really did seem to become seriously worried after an hour or so, even tho he knew that he could (presumably?) be dragged out at any time. Effects of cold and exposure or was he just hamming it up for the tele? Good show Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It can't have been much fun getting that cold, even knowing that you're basically safe. Probably hamming it up a bit tho Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Terry Bartlett had a pair in his Hillingdon shop when I was in there a couple of years ago. Notably a) long, b) thick (topsheet to sole), c) wide, d) stiff, and e) heavy. Built for the task, no doubt. Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DrBullet, how long are the skis they use?

firebug, I thought they both looked very cold, Leigh was in a precarious position, I think in those conditions it would take long to feel very cold when you aren't moving. It reminds me of the time I was in Cervinia with -50C wind chill, my hands got so cold (with gloves) I had to stop early (very very unusual for me).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I spent 10.5 hrs in a shallow snow scrape in gusts that hit 118mph and didn't get down from the mountains until 30 hours after setting off. It really is bloody uncomfortable but fun in a 'camping in terrible conditions' type of way. Remember... the definition of an adventure is something bad happening to someone else Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Utterly amazing scenery in both Patagonia and the Chilean Andes. I think both presenters are just great, I love their good humour. Excellent viewing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Awesome tonight, awe inspiring scenery and seeing mountains created and glaciers shaping the landscape just amazing!

Would love to go there sometime!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The funniest thing I have seen in a long time, two blokes in a blow up boat wearing crampons, priceless.
snow conditions
jbob, lol, don't forget the pink "pantalloons" as well - never mind the practicalities, surely a serious fashion faux pas!
snow conditions
The climb up Villarrica is part of the Snoworks 7 Volcanoes tour, including the same guide Guido.
ski holidays
Just had to admire Guido's ice climb. Quite something.
latest report
achilles wrote:
Just had to admire Guido's ice climb. Quite something.

Yup, most amusing that neither of the 'boys' could match it, despite having the rope and belays already positioned!
latest report
Not, I hasten to add, that I'm suggesting I could do any better! Toofy Grin
snow report
jbob wrote:
The funniest thing I have seen in a long time, two blokes in a blow up boat wearing crampons, priceless.

I id wonder how they were avoiding puncturing the boats.

Although they didn't put the crampons on until they were in the grey boat, which I think had a solid floor.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy