Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

corr blimey - eating out and even supermarkets well expensive in alps

Poster: A snowHead
skitow, I don't know how big their tank is but it must be huge as they only have it emptied once at the end of the winter, and there are 3 loos and always a huge Q - very busy resto. No other loos on the Cretes either. Don't forget - the lorry has to be 4 or 6 wheel drive to get up the road to the resto ... and can't be all that big, so must make multiple trips etc. etc.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
well.. well... wel....

Another 'oh my gawd how much is it' kind of thread!

Austria is very reasonable for food and drink.... Vat is at 20% for most stuff (although there is a 10% rate for some things) so it is more than france.
Supplies being taken up mountains isn't a huge cost.... there are piste bashers with massive scoops!

In a lot of resorts the profiteering is getting out of control. You are stuck so have to pay whatever they charge!
I guess with a much bigger valley system in Austria people have much more choice which keep sthe prices reasonable.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flangesax, And who pays for the piste bashers? Have you any idea how much those things cost to a) buy and b) run?????? fortunes man! I don't think the prices are unreasonable here either, but its very unfair to claim they're all profiteering just because their costs are high. Here's a pic taken today of the rubbish from one restaurant being taken down to the Jandri express, where of course it all has to be loaded, and unloaded and taken to wherever after that.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski,
Quote:

In addition he told me that it costs €40,000 to empty the septic tank after every winter

So is that why on top of my 5 euro for a coffee, I normally have to pay to go to the loo aswell? Incidentally British restaurants normally work off 33/33/33 for food costs/overheads and wages/profits so that's not far off 30/30/40. Staff wages and lift passes may need to come out of the 40 percent but if you are charging 5 euros for a cup of coffee that's still 2 euros roughly 2 quid to profit and wages! If you did a rough calculation of 50 percent to wages and 50 percent to profit the restaurant are still making a quid profit on a coffee.

I'm glad your friend only charges 3 and a half euro a drink, seems like a bargain to me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

So is that why on top of my 5 euro for a coffee

If you are willing to pay 5 euro for a coffee, then you can't really complain. I never pay anything approaching that and nobody ever pays anything to go to the loo, throughout the entire area (in France). Why do people persist in going to resorts which are known to be expensive, then complain. There's plenty of choice out there!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure that we have ever been charged as much as 5 euro for a cup of coffee anywhere in the Portes du Soleil. We have been very aware this past winter of what we pay for coffee, hot chocolate and wine in the various cafes and restaurants that we go to and if we feel we haven't had value we just don't go back. But we are very happy to either sit on the terraces outside the cafes in their chairs, or have taken shelter inside benefiting from their heaters, we have enjoyed the wonderful views and yes - particularly me - nearly always avail ourselves of the loo facilities - and I have my own star rating of those I prefer to use. I can't recall ever being charged to use the loo in any of the cafes. Having skied in the States (only in Vermont) a few times one of the things we always miss there are the huge variety of eating and drinking places that we have scattered round the mountains and just hope that they all manage to survive.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w,

I go to bigger resorts for the varied and extensive skiing they offer. Why should a bigger resort = bigger costs when there are economies of scale to be had?

I pay the prices as I enjoy my holiday as a whole, as it is, that doesn't mean that I have to be happy with the price I pay for meals/drinks. As I have said here before the bar/restaurant owners can charge what they like for the services they offer, but they also need to be careful that they dont start to price themselves out of the market. I can hear the wind of change etc
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I found Kitzbühel to be very reasonably priced last season and even given the drop in exchange rate, if similar sorts of prices are being charged this season, it wouldn't seem unduly expensive to me given the higher overheads in a ski resort...

However, I'm off to Courmayeur in two weeks and not sure what to expect. Just glad I'm half board so hopefully won't need much in the way of spending money...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
7Chf for a chocolate, IIRC....but we had a hearty breakfast..which is a must for me anyway..and then just soups for lunch ( 8chf )...which is fine if a meaty gholash (sp..? )type thing.

Don't need to always do this and if we need a big lunch then we will have it, but I really liked the idea of picnicing this year so I will buy a decent bread and make up my own when I go again...

The £ rate has hurt us but also introduced new options.. I really don't see the need to go to a huge resort with loads of people and pay in the region of £200 plus for the lift pass for the privaledge. Give me smaller freindly resorts anyday
and a quick chat with some local workers in this type of place recently talked down any further development...which was music to my ears...they said they could manage with the way it was and not spoil the valley.

Whether that pans out that way, remains to be seen, but they introduced car parking at the lift station this year........ Shocked Shocked Shocked

Supply and demand..and if you pay some prices, then that tells the resort something doesn't it...? but..and we have seen this before.. I don't think resorts can alienate a proportion of customers for too long but maybe they are happy to replace Brits with other nationalities..Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just come back from Grand Massif (again). Thought that previous reports of expence were way off. Even with the appalling exchange rate v a year ago, my family of five ate really good meals (savoyard obviously) in the evening for less than 20 euros per head, and similar on the slopes with marvellous views for 15 euros per head. I would be having a fantastic Steak, my wife Soup & salad, kids - tartiflette or something similar with plenty of soft drinks, large beer for me and half litre caraf of red for my wife and me. This meal would cost at least the same if not more on my local relatively cheap brasserie in Liverpool. They are trying to make a living, and Skiing is not cheap, neither is lugging all the gear halfway up a mountain. Come on, - if its reasonable prices anyone is after I trust that they have never been to a Coffee shop (all of the latests American mob), - that is a rip off.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HH, I think around 3.40 is the norm here (for a large cup)- actually La Patache is relatively expensive, but the price of drinks etc hasn't gone up for at least 2 years, if not 3. that's fairly standard here. However there are more expensive cafes in town (L'Oree des Pistes at the bottom of the Lutins is a good example). 3.40 but for a relatively small cup, and right in the village - but then it's frequented by teh ESF and lots of tourists who ski down for a cheaper lunch!! Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In Alpe d'huez over the New Year I paid 18 euros for four drinks, 2 coffees a coke and a small beer. I also paid 2.5 euros for a small bottle of evian/vittel from a take away hut!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HH, why?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HH, why?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
HH, R32 went to ADH one day and was apalled at the prices - said it was way more expensive than here. Shocked
snow report
easiski, It certainly was last Easter!

Anyway I paid the grand sum of 1.3 euros for a white coffee in Valtournenche (below Cervinia) last Thursday. On the other hand it was about 4.5 - 5 SwFr in Zermatt.
ski holidays
Colin B, I think all the peeps who reckon Austria is so cheap should look at Italy and Spain!
ski holidays
Lizzard,

Because we were thirsty?
snow conditions
HH, you know it's expensive on the mountain. You have pockets and there are (presumably) taps in your accommodation.

I'm sure there are people out there who do this sort of thing deliberately, just in order to moan about prices when they get home.
latest report
Lizzard,

I have about two hundred things already to organise in the morning what with ski school and creche and a very finite amount of time to ski while they are there, forgive me for not trudging around the resort to find the cheapest small bottle of mineral water or small coffee. Here's me thinking it was a holiday. wink
ski holidays
I agree it's nice to stop for a drink or a snack, but unless money is no object it's a case of either going to a less expensive resort, or having a backpack with some essentials, or just grinning and bearing it. Moaning just makes you miserable. Most things are about choosing your priorities - and for me, being in an area where I can afford to eat and drink is more important than having gazillions of "different" (though sometimes not as different as all that) pistes.
latest report
Quote:

in order to moan about prices when they get home.

Lizzard, What I find galling is that in most cases (in and around La Plagne) the prices are the same (maybe lower) than last season. So why moan this season? Sure the £ is worth less but it's happened before, I remember 10FF to the £ following season it was 7 to the £, there were moans then but nothing like the moaning on some threads on here and in resort, after all it isn't the resort/restaurant/bars fault that the British pound has taken a dive Confused
latest report
HH, I was suggesting that you might shove a bottle of tap water in your pocket and then have a cup of tea when you got back after skiing.

Boredsurfing, all much the same here as well. It's undoubtedly more expensive this year for your British skier, but less whining and more picnics/home cooking/supermarket wine boxes could be in order. This is hardly the attitude which won the war, is it, what what? (Twirls handlebar moustache in a pompous fashion.) Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard,
Quote:

supermarket wine boxes

Noooo! Once opened they are just too convenient Toofy Grin Embarassed
snow report
Boredsurfing, true. We keep on making the winebox mistake, despit the fact that we both definitely know better. Laughing
snow conditions
I think the biggest problem is the lack of quality to go with the high prices. I'd gladly pay €200 every single day for a three-star Michelin lunch, but when you're being asked to drop half that for a tenth of the experience it stretches one's patience a bit.

That said, are we here to have a good time or are we here to count the pennies? My view - if you're worried whether you can afford it, then you shouldn't be there in the first place. €400 for a week of lunches may be a whole load of cheddar, but you've probably waxed four times that on the rest of your holiday without blinking. Order another carafe of rouge and deal with it when you get home...
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, I'm laughing nervously while realising that I have a box of supermarket wine perched next to the computer right this moment. IT SAVES ME A TRIP TO THE KITCHEN, DAMMIT! Very Happy
latest report
FastEddie, clearly you are fabulously wealthy. Mine's a champagne cocktail, thanks. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, FastEddie, I stopped buying them when I realised a 3litre one was lasting a weekend between 2 Embarassed
snow conditions
Blame the banks, Gordon Brown and our own property price greed .. surely not the Europeans.

I was pleasantly impressed by Austrian prices ( but I really mean Saalbach-Hinterglemm ) when I went there this year and drinks undoubtedly cheaper than France ( and therefore much cheaper than Switzerland) ... but I dont get these threads.

French prices havent gone up and eating out is still cheaper than the UK. It would have to be less than 1:1 for that. I do agree that some places are outrageous for the quality( who said VT?) but as SZK has already pointed out on another thread the biggest rip-off merchants do seem to be Brit owned/managed establishments ripping off their own. Confused The French self cater for the most part (catered chalets being a Brit thing as I understand it) as they are there for the skiing ( and it would be so expensive to eat for all their 26 weeks vacation wouldnt it rolling eyes ).

FastEddie, today I paid €13.50 for a 4-course lunch ( menu fixe) , coffee and as much wine as you want to drink. Excellent quality, all fresh... just outside Cannes. Price is the same 'in season'. If I had to pay anywhere near €100 pp I would be eating in a 3* Michelin in France with fine wine but then again I dont go skiing for 3* lunches , nor does anyone else here I suspect.
snow report
Boredsurfing, we found a 10L one when we went in Jan Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Boris, no no no Toofy Grin
Says he having shared a whole bottle over dinner wink
snow report
Quote:

€400 for a week of lunches may be a whole load of cheddar, but you've probably waxed four times that on the rest of your holiday without blinking. Order another carafe of rouge and deal with it when you get home...

I hope that's for a large family. Shocked
ski holidays
Lizzard, no, I just like to spend my money proportionate to the hedonistic quality of the financial outlay Wink

Agenterre, €13,50 'just outside Cannes' is like proclaiming that you had a wonderfully cheap sandwich at a shop 'in the next village to Le Manoir au Quat' Saisons'. I'm sure the headline prices in the villages surrounding the 3V are much more in line with the rest of France - but a captive audience is exactly that. Even in Les Gets last year (at €1.30 or so to the pound), MrsFE and I were averaging €60-70 a day for lunch (large beers, starters, tartiflette, shared dessert, express and a litre of rouge). Nobody said it was going to be cheap - but why spend a week in Paradise and only eat dry bread and cheese?
snow report
FastEddie, Large beers & a Litre of wine for the two of you at lunch? How do you ski in the afternoon Puzzled
snow report
genepi, the prodigious alcohol absorption of Savoyarde cuisine, the head-clearing qualities of Alpine air, the sharpener of an espresso and the knowledge that the afternoon sees us stick to cruisey blues at a leisurely pace Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

Large beers & a Litre of wine for the two of you at lunch? How do you ski in the afternoon

I think I might weather the booze better than a starter, a tartiflette and half a dessert...... Shocked
latest report
FastEddie wrote:
Lizzard,
Agenterre, €13,50 'just outside Cannes' is like proclaiming that you had a wonderfully cheap sandwich at a shop 'in the next village to Le Manoir au Quat' Saisons'.

Not really, its called Mandelieu .. but I only know one person on here knows where that is.
ski holidays
Agenterre, I know it too - friends have an apartment overlooking the marina there
snow report
Quote:

lunch (large beers, starters, tartiflette, shared dessert, express and a litre of rouge).

Don't you have a problem finding ski gear in large enough sizes? Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy