Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

corr blimey - eating out and even supermarkets well expensive in alps

Poster: A snowHead
Lizzard, how VERY dare you! Wink

I'll have you know i'm positively svelte...okay, I'm composed of 54% cholesterol, but still... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the Savoyarde cuisine is fattening why are the majority of locals so slim wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing wrote:
If the Savoyarde cuisine is fattening why are the majority of locals so slim wink

'cos they only eat it for "feast" days. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

'cos they only eat it for "feast" days

'cos they can't afford it the rest of the time!!! Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard,
Quote:

HH, I was suggesting that you might shove a bottle of tap water in your pocket and then have a cup of tea when you got back after skiing.

Hee Hee. The hotels I'm used to staying in its cheaper on the mountain!! And I will now shut up moaning...though I was never moaning I was just saying how I see it. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
HH, I hate to sound cheap rolling eyes but re-filling an empty plastic bottle with water from the hotel/apartment taps is the single simplest way to save money and save waste.

On a recent trip, I was amazed to see a family lugging an economy pack of locally bought mineral water. The water coming from the taps of a ski town is the snow melt so is (I assume) probably better for you than what is bottled and generates a lot less CO2.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

On a recent trip, I was amazed to see a family lugging an economy pack of locally bought mineral water. The water coming from the taps of a ski town is the snow melt so is (I assume) probably better for you than what is bottled and generates a lot less CO2.

warrell, Perhaps they had seen this thread on snowheads
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=12485
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The hotels I'm used to staying in its cheaper on the mountain!!

One of the reasons I never stayed in hotels - being able to have loads of cups of tea for nothing, in the chalet after skiing (not to mention wine with supper and duty free booze) saved us enough to buy an apartment.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, ditto
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
I can't bear sipping duty-free booze out of toothmugs in hotel bedrooms. Shocked

Nor can I. Which is why I find that chilling champagne in the snow on the balcony, and drinking from champagne glasses I have brought with me makes life much happier! They are also perfectly adequate for serving all other alcoholic drinks.

In the summer pink gin & water is the best solution in hotel rooms, as it doesn't require ice.

I paid €3 for a 500ml bottle of Evian in Meribel in a sandwich bar near Chaudanne last week. I already had one bottle of tap water in my pocket courtesy of the chalet, but had to pay €3 for a second plastic bottle.

Alpine water, mmm. Filled up both bottles and imported them back to the UK for later drinking. What does that make me?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
warrell wrote:
HH, I hate to sound cheap rolling eyes but re-filling an empty plastic bottle with water from the hotel/apartment taps is the single simplest way to save money and save waste.

A camelbak or similar serves the same purpose, more conveniently.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

chilling champagne in the snow on the balcony, and drinking from champagne glasses I have brought with me makes life much happier!

Absolutely. A bit of glassware costs peanuts and makes all the difference. Champagne out of toothmugs, I think not.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At the moment I'm not planning any more trips anywhere, we started a new business just over a year ago and we need to recession proof ourselves (so I will be making the most of Courchevel!). However, I really think that I will be looking at other holiday options in future. Which is the point I have been making all along here (rather than just moaning for the sake of it). It is up to hotels/restaurants etc to charge whatever they want, if they feel that is fair, so be it; BUT I think a lot of people, like myself, are going to adjust their spending habits now and will do a lot more DIY (self catering, re fill your water bottles etc).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, I take one of those caravan supply dense plastic wineglasses on camping trips. Got to have some sort of standards eh?

Or those little Ribena style cartons of red wine... just use a straw Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa, those are for cooking with, you complete prole. Laughing
snow conditions
mmm, 10 litre box of Ribena Very Happy Laughing
latest report
Glass wineglasses camping. Along with tea leaves and china mugs. Anything else is too much like, well, errr, camping.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
Quote:

warrell, Perhaps they had seen this thread on snowheads
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=12485

I'd agree - I buy cheap 1L bottles for the family for the week and will only drink tap water if boiled. There's a lot of chemicals floating around in the water supply (allegedly) from snow making and have heard too many tales of bugs to risk it. Buy the own brand stuff and its hardly costly.

Personally I stick to the beer and wine
ski holidays
Quote:

Glass wineglasses camping. Along with tea leaves and china mugs

Laughing
snow report
Boris, I've been drinking the water here for 18 years with no ill effects! I always advise my students that there's nothing the matter with it. Very Happy
snow report
easiski, I'm not always sure about the tap water in mountain restaurants, but certainly trust it at resort level.
ski holidays
innerspaceservices,
Quote:

I find the best thing to do in these circumstances is practice the skill of ignoring how much things cost and switching off your "£ to euro" conversion facility, admittedly this is more difficult with a 1:1 conversion rate. Rhythmic chanting may help...

Thats why we only ski Canada and the Usa now Madeye-Smiley A GREAT BIG Burger and fries in Canada about $8 large beer on the hill $5 less in town and at around a $1.75 to the pound I don,t complain. We are off there for 6 weeks in a week or so Very Happy
snow report
Didn't eat out much, didn't go silly in mountains restro's at lunchtime and even took a few sandwiches up...thanks BernardC..and had one of the cheapest holidays as far as spending money goes, I have had for years..

Enjoyed it so much, I'll do it more in the future... as will others and resorts will have to contend with that ....
latest report
If you cannot afford it dont go!
Stop boring the rest of us with the moaning!
snow conditions
flying planet, I don't want to live on burgers and fries though. I found the mountain restaurants in Canada awful. I hate big self-service places with polystyrene containers and plastic cups. 1.75 is an awful exchange rate, it was 2.20 on our last trip.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy