Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are these skis too good for a beginner?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A friend of mine has been offered a pair of Fischer Sceneo S500 Titanium skis and he is keen to buy them as it is a good price ( £50 including poles and bag ). I am concerned that he is making a bad purchase as he is a beginner ( one week skiing ) and from what I have found on the web these ski's are for advanced/expert skiers. As I am an intermediate ( 7 weeks ) he may take advice from me if it was backed up with some good reasons on why not to buy them. Is it the stiffness that is the main problem or are there other problems that a begineer may have with skis like this. Would the skis be more suitable for me instead of him or are they too advanced for me as well?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kipper999, The S500 was a pretty stiff carver, especially with the plate on it.

It was designed to be skied significantly shorter (and fatter) than the skis of it's day (2002), preceeding the Metrons in the All-Mountain-Slalom category by a fair bit.

The S200 and the S300 are probably fair but not great skis for a beginner today, they were really good in their time. Beginner skis since then have gotten fatter tips and more sidecut than the lower-level Sceneos, allowing them to more easily engage at the beginning of the turn, and to hold turns on ice more easily.

The S500, as said, was pretty durn stiff, even when skied short. Under a beginner, especially a lightweight one, I would not be surprised if the center section did not even engage the snow, let alone flex into a proper turn shape. This could make for a rather bad skidding time on hardpack, unless your friend is 15st+
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and does the length make a difference? How heavy is he, and how long are the skis?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, it really doesn't matter,

if the OP is heavy enough to flex a 160cm S500 when it's running flat he will not like the side to side vibration from it being run flat or at low edge angles.
if the OP gets one of the longer lengths (up to 180cm IIRC) to eliminate the rotary torques from low edge engagement, he won't be able to flex it to carve properly

Vanishingly small usability envelope for low-edge-angle skiers, comparable to an SL ski.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Comprex, Thanks for the info. The skis are 170 and my friend is aprox 15st. I have been working on him today to think twice about the purchase. I will point him to your replies on here for backup to my advice. I can imagine that the most disconcerting thing for a beginner would be when "running flat" as I suspect the ski will be wanting to turn even at the slightest angle, is this true?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy