Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The 2Alpes/La Grave link ......

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Spikyhedgehog, You'll have to search Arno's previous TRs to see how good ADH looks (very). Very Happy

Swirly, Well, most of the peeps I takde to LG are not experienced mountaineers or climbers or even off piste skiers, so without a guide, even on the Vallons they can get into serious trouble. How do they know which way to go? I've had twits shouting at each other in the valley under the avalanche shutes on a hot spring afternoon - all sorts - I agree that experienced people might not need a guide for the simpler stuff, but on a forum like this it would seem unwise to say so, as most who read here are not as experienced as you in the mountains.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spikyhedgehog, this will give you a taster:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38167&highlight=oisans

a lot of this stuff isn't that easy to find first time, so a guide is recommended unless you are very handy with mountaincraft
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski wrote:
I agree that experienced people might not need a guide for the simpler stuff, but on a forum like this it would seem unwise to say so, as most who read here are not as experienced as you in the mountains.

Rule of thumb...
If you need to ask the classic 'do I need a guide?' question then the answer is almost certainly a 'Yes' Very Happy
Without a guide you would be taking on full responsibility for checking the map / weather forecast / snowpack / & glacial route finding yourself wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went today, fabulous snow, fabulous cover - which way would you go in the Vallons if you didn't know???? Found some little bits of untracked though. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

which way would you go in the Vallons if you didn't know????

Down, there's even a sign at the top saying Vallons de la Meije with an arrow, there's another near it saying Vallons de Chancel with an arrow pointing the other way. Even the dangerous parts aren't exactly subtle, steepish pitch at the start and massive seracs on the right.

To clarify I was talking about the first visits for someone looking to seriously ride La Grave. Also wouldn't you teach someone about the differences in skiing there and off piste in general first? You wouldn't take someone down a steep black without checking their skills were up to it so why take them to La Grave when they don't have any of the relevant mountaincraft skills? This may sound elitist but not more so than signs on runs saying expert skiers only etc IMO.

Good to hear about the snow holding over there, probably going tomorrow: powder day snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly, Surely the whole point is that the Vallons de la Meije (and to an extent Chancel) are 'tourist' routes and easily skiable by people with moderate skills. La Grave is a magic place, incredibly beautiful etc. so people should not be frightened off going just because they don't have the skills/desire to ski steep couloirs etc. The Vallons is almost pisted (by skiers) most of the time, so they don't even have to be all that experienced off piste. They have to be solid and controlled skiers. However people in this category should not even consider going without a guide (not necessarily HM) to show them the alternatives. After that they can go by themselves. Experienced off pisters such as yourself and Al Tom, shouldn't really require a guide for most places.

It'll be outstanding today. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GrahamN, did Freaux yesterday, bit interesting at the top big bumps, rocks and even a little bit of blue ice, got better lower down once I got some rhythm and gave myself a talking to. It's pretty easy to find with a map although there is still a moment where you're thinking I hope I'm in the left one. Spoke to one of the La Grave Saissonaires who had done the right hand one (Faux Freaux) and had skied out the side into trees to avoid the ice pitch and then skied back in: a bit much for us!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy