Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

US/Canada Resort Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
With very little snow in Europe at the moment & not much forecast we're thinking of taking our first trip across the pond - especially as the old pound is pretty strong at the moment so I can stock up on some Spyder gear Smile

I'm planning between 12th - 20th March or from 9th - 17th April.

Any resort recommendations would be welcome for an advanced skier & his intermediate missus. We'd particularly like to develop our off-piste technique so any recommendations must come with a 'deep snow guarantee' for that time of the year!

We'd also want some off-piste lessons so any instructor/ski school recommendations would be also welcome.

Due to the flying times (I hate long flights) easy airport transfers would be preferable.

Also I've read posts that refer to the difference between East & West coast snow conditions. What is the difference?

Thanks in anticipation.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You would have to watch out for the later dates as many US resorts close around Easter or early April if Easter is in March- as it is this year. They close because it is not economic to keep open as opposed to snow being not there. There are some exceptions- say Mammoth or some of the Lake Tahoe resorts (but not all as some do shut).

At present most of the California/Utah resorts are submerged in snow ,having had 10-12 feet since New Year, so they will be deep, tho whether it lasts until April remains to be seen. Very often they ski on till July 4 in some places in California,

If you are going in April Canada may be your best bet. Whistler and Lake Louise will be open then, probably fully open.

If you are going in March and can afford to wait until later on to book you could probably have the pick of anywhere. Mid March should see good conditions all over the US and Canada. If you are looking for easy transfers Vancouver to Whistler and Calgary to Banff are short, but the best must be Salt Lake City. Fly there, you can stay in town and be within easy driving distance of a good number of resorts. Most would likely be shut in April but fully open in March. Problem with Utah is 2 flights whereas Vancouver/Calgary will be direct(from London).

Cant help with the East as never been there, rumour has it deep snow not often on the menu !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I live near Boston and have skied out west lots. I suggest you definitely go in March if possible. Snow would be questionable in April and some western resorts are even closed. Here are a couple of great choices for you:

The easiest place to fly to is Salt Lake City, Utah, site of the recent Winter Olympics. From there, within an hour, you can ski the area of Park City including the Park City Ski Resort, Deer Valley, and The Canyons, Big Cottonwood Canyon which includes Brighton and Solitude, and Little Cottonwood Canyon which includes the best powder resorts, maybe the best in the world, Alta and Snowbird. Nightlife is by far the best in Park City. Stay at the Park City Resort or as far up into Park City as possible in the old part of town. If you're up for it, staying for about a third of the trip at Alta/Snowbird will give you direct access to these slopes. Nightlife is quiet there but the Cliff Lodge at Snowbird has enough to do for a few days and the canyon is quite pretty. Any lodging at either Snowbird or Alta is slopeside.

A more difficult transfer, but worthwhile for the effort is Jackson Hole, Wyoming. This is a great experts resort, but has plenty to entertain improving intermediates too. It also has just about the greatest vertical is the US. Jackson Hole is as authentic a western cowboy town as you can find and there's plenty to do. There's also wildlife running about all over the place, elk and moose mostly. I'd stay at the Jackson Hole Ski Resort if possible for the skiing convenience and village atmosphere. Just through the Teton Pass, about an hour away, is the ski resort of Grand Targhee. This is intermediate paradise and they get about 500" of snow a year. Sounds ideal for you except it's a bit quiet over there at night. Staying over there for a night or two is beautiful and even romantic though. You can hire a snowcat in advance at Grand Targhee for some very enjoyable powder skiing. The resort organizes this throughout the season conditions permitting. If it's too hard to try to stay at Grand Targhee too, there are shuttles available from Jackson Hole.

Either way you can't go wrong.

I usually ski out east here at Sunday River in Maine. It's great for intermediates and advancing intermediates and only Killington in Vermont is larger in New England. Sunday River is really quite good and we seem to get many UK visitors. Staying on the slopes at Sunday River or in the nearby historic town of Bethel would be very nice. There are several other ski areas within an hour including Wildcat, Attitash, and Cranmore in New Hampshire. Sugarloaf in Maine is a bit further but certainly worth the effort. A ski trip out east would certainly be easier on the wallet but the west really has the more guaranteed conditions due to altitude.

I hope you find this information helpful. Little Angel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great info fellas. Many thanks.

And welcome to snowHeads Jack.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon,

See my report on Winter Park: a great hill (but don't fly via DC). Transfers (changing flights plus 2-hour bus transfer) aren't ideal, though. - Also, if you're susceptible to altitude sickness you might suffer. Not a problem for me, but I heard about a British family who decided to cut their stay short because they couldn't take the effect of staying at 9,000 feet and sking from 12,000 feet.

Otherwise, Banff is great in March, is well served by UK tour operators, requires no changes of plane, and is only a 1.75hr transfer from Calgary airport.

The Winter Park ski school has the legendary US ski guru, Bob Barnes, as its SSD. The Banff area has the excellent 3-day "Club Ski" instructional programme, and with 3 distinct areas (Lake Louise, Sunshine Village and Bannf@Norquay) plus easy trips to places like Kicking Horse (only for the genuinely advanced skier), Nakiska and Panorama offers a load of variety. I've been to Banff for the past 5 years in March, and have always experienced good sno conditions (sometimes great snow conditions) - and you get good value for money, since the Canadian $ is down around 2.30. - Stay in Banff. There's not much to do in Lake Louise
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Acacia, Just a quick point... the Bob Barnes at WP is a legend, but he is not THE Bob Barnes (i.e. the author of the Encyclopaedia of Skiing) He teaches at Vail, oh, and at the EpicSki Academy (where I'll be from Saturday Very Happy )
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My 2p worth rolling eyes
I've never been to the East coast but I've heard it can get pretty icy there.
I vaguely remember seeing some snow figures somewhere that said historically the months with the most snow in Colorado were Jan and March.
Can only echo Jacks comments about Utah- masses of quality skiing all within easy reach salt Lake City, which will help with your flight times.
Most of the Colorado (and Wyoming-Jackson Hole) flights involve 2 changes. Typically something like Heathrow to New York/Chicago/Mineapolis. from there to Denver, and then to airport nearest your resort, or drive from Denver. I believe that BA do fly direct to Denver, but it will cost you.

Dave
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
um a east coaster, and yes it is icy here, and this season has SUCKED, so dont come here. but like someone said, maybe jackson hole? but that late in the season i might go for canada. Ive had freinds who went to Banff http://www.canadianrockies.net/skithero/ and they loved it. As for the US, Big Sky is high altitude and a great mountain, or Jackson Hole. a quick search for skiing in march and i found this site http://webpages.charter.net/tcrocker818/skng1103.htm which has alot of good information. hope that helps
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the info. Work committments have just changed which also brings late Feb into play. Have decided that we'll probably take a last minute deal nearer the time which allows us to choose what should hopefully be the better snow conditions.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat,

Quote:

Acacia, Just a quick point... the Bob Barnes at WP is a legend, but he is not THE Bob Barnes (i.e. the author of the Encyclopaedia of Skiing) He teaches at Vail, oh, and at the EpicSki Academy (where I'll be from Saturday )

- You mean there are two of them!!??? - I didn't realise. I'm familiar with the Encyclopaedic Barnes through his contributions on EpicSki, and I just assumed that this was the same guy.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon,

got to be Jackson Hole, 15 minute transfer, real 'cowboy' atmosphere and it's the Chamonix of the US. Expedia have got flights via Minneapolis for about £380
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Breckenridge rocks!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Breckenridge rocks!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's always Tahoe! (Direct flight from Heathrow, and then hire a car!) Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy