Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend end march, where to??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, managed to escape the kids and OH!! we have flights to Salzburg and have spent hours looking at different resorts, but would like first hand recomendations please! 6 females mixed abilities but looking for a resort better suited for the beginners, not after a challenging area. just want a hotel or b&b, within walking distance of bars, lifts, slopes etc we dont want to be on the edge of a village and rely on taxis at night, prefer to be in the main hub of things. I have found plenty available but its not always clear of the exact location, just looking for a girly weekend and have a laugh!! thank you Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
try saalbach-hinterglemm

this place looks ok and near the lifts /town center, http://www.pensionenzian.com/welcome.html

there's plenty of bars in saalbach for you to enjoy as well as all the good skiing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed in the 3* Gappmaier Hotel in Saalbach and it was excellent, small but clean and good food. Walkable to Town and Bobbys bar and if you use the small nursery slope in town it is ski to the back door (boot room), I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The resort of Saalbach is ideal for the nightlife the only thing I would say is the timid skiers in our group found the blues in the area quite difficult. Also the slopes on the south facing side can suffer in the sun, the lower slopes could be very slushy come the end of March.

Another resort I would suggest is Obertauern, we go there for a long weekend in April most years but I do go with the missus, for a group of lasses the nightlife/resort might be a bit limited for you, there are a couple of excellent bars but that is about it, the amount of accommodation is a bit limited and expensive, it also gets booked up quickly so you may struggle to get fixed up in Obertauern. Depending on your budget Andi's is a nice B&B with a small pool and "wellness area", the Krallinger Hotel owned by the same people is in a good position but we have never stayed there. A bit cheaper and more basic is Pension Lungau, this is in a great spot though, very near the slopes and the best bar the Luerzer Alm.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We stayed in the 3* Gappmaier Hotel in Saalbach and it was excellent, small but clean and good food. Walkable to Town and Bobbys bar and if you use the small nursery slope in town it is ski to the back door (boot room), I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The resort of Saalbach is ideal for the nightlife the only thing I would say is the timid skiers in our group found the blues in the area quite difficult. Also the slopes on the south facing side can suffer in the sun, the lower slopes could be very slushy come the end of March.

Another resort I would suggest is Obertauern, we go there for a long weekend in April most years but I do go with the missus, for a group of lasses the nightlife/resort might be a bit limited for you, there are a couple of excellent bars but that is about it, the amount of accommodation is a bit limited and expensive, it also gets booked up quickly so you may struggle to get fixed up in Obertauern. Depending on your budget Andi's is a nice B&B with a small pool and "wellness area", the Krallinger Hotel owned by the same people is in a good position but we have never stayed there. A bit cheaper and more basic is Pension Lungau, this is in a great spot though, very near the slopes and the best bar the Luerzer Alm.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Will look at those thanks! Not looking for wild nightlife just a bar or 2 would be good!! any more anyone??
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Is Saalbach snow sure enough for the end of March?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Possibly not. It is quite low so can suffer in poor snow years. Last year we went in the last week of feb and it was slush for most of the week. We sorted that by getting on the bus and going to kaprun Glacier. The snow there was great but about an hour on the bus. That said at the end of the week they had snow and the conditons improved greatly. I have also been to zell am see at the end of march and skiied in 2 ft of powder!

Im confident enough of good snow this year and we have booked to go in mid march, but i guess its hard to forecast for sure whether we will have good snow or not

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 13-02-09 17:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
look at Obertauern...have been to S/H and O and there is much more piste to do at S/H but the south facing side of the valley will suffer in the sun where as there is more height at O anfd therefore more chance of cover. they are both resorts i would return too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
feefee - we went to S/H in Feb and it was slushy on the lower slopes in Feb, personally I would not risk it end of March. Obertauern or Kaprun much safer bet but as I said accomm in Obertauern will not be cheap and you might struggle finding some unless you want to pay top dollar.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks I've emailed a few in Obertauern, also Schladming any good anyone?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Soll - awesome. probably had the best skiing holiday of my life there! ...and I've had a few! Not outrageous nightlife, but enough. Great skiing, views, snow. Not sure of transfer from Salzburg
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
feefee, I'm off to Obertauern the first week in March. Really looking forward to it as I have heard great reports. I struggled to find accomodation as we left it quite late, but we did find somewhere. As the resort is small, but very popular, it can be a pain to find somewhere, especially if there a few of you. Have you seen this website? - www.obertauern.com, there's a section with accommodation
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sleipnir, thanks for that there is a hotel available but only 1 0r 2* Confused so still looking!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feefee, I don't know if you have tried these, but places we looked at in Obertauern:-

Hotel Bogensperger - www.hotel-bogensperger.com
Auerhahn Aparthotel - http://www.auerhahn-obertauern.at/englisch/haus.htm
Hotel Schneider - http://www.schneiderat/englisch/index.html
Hotel Krallinger - http://www.krallinger.at/2/0/de/home.html
Marietta Relax & Spa Hotel - http://www.marietta.at/index.html
Hotel Frau Holle - http://www.luerzer.at/
Hotel Kohlmayr - http://www.hotel-kohlmayr.at/
Hotel Rigele Royal - http://www.rigele-royal.com

There's a real mixture there from apartments to swanky 4 star spa hotels. Good luck!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sleipnir, Tried them all!! Laughing
snow report
feefee wrote:
Sleipnir, Tried them all!! Laughing

Oh well rolling eyes Accomodation is the biggest problem we found. Have you looked at Tweng which is a village close by. Also Untertauern.

At one point we were considering staying in Salzburg and busing in each day - ok, it's way better to stay at a resort, but as a fall back. I think it's an hour, hour and a half bus journey so not the end of the world if you truly can't find anything. I guess a hire car would do the journey a little faster
ski holidays
Given up on Obertauern now looking at either Schladming which is high, or Muhlbach (through a snowhead) which sounds perfect but I'm worried it may be too low for that time of year.
snow report
Schladming is great but we have only been there at Christmas. Not sure about snow record at end of March, but this year is probably as good as it gets?
snow report
Janska, If it is usually good at Christmas, then it will usually be good at the end of March.

In fact for most places that aren't completely snow sure, end of March averages slightly better than Christmas, I believe.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy