Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best all-mountain ski

Poster: A snowHead
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Do you honestly believe Enforcers are better skis to use on piste than the more piste specific models? It all depends what you want to achieve.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I believe less adaptive techinque is required when skiing the whole mountain. I'd rather ski a 103mm on piste than a 80mm off piste. Sidecut permitting. I've converted many people and seen the delight in their eyes when they realise just how simple and normal it is skiing a 90+ ski on piste. And i sell an extra pair of fat skis to all those who ski sub 90mm skis on piste. I want to sell skis, why would I lie?

And yes i believe the Enforcer is the best ALL MOUNTAIN ski available. Maybe my job helps me believe this, skiing lots of skis, in lots of conditions, in lots of resorts. Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rossi 9x WC. World cup, race room, GS Ski. 80mm waist. If they can make that stick, I reckon it's not too great a leap to build a punter AM ski with 5mm more either side of the bindings.

I'm with our cham corespondent on this one.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Back you up there.. the Black Crow Navis 103mm and Enforcer 98mm actually felt easier to tip in than my previous 76's. The major factor seems to be that of finding a ski that responds to your varying inputs... a wider ski that suits you feels as if it tips in with very little effort.

That said, a pair of race skis on corduroy will spin you round with the flex of a toe Laughing

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 12-02-09 21:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had the bruises to prove it Laughing

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well I can see your point, but it's just as blinkered as anyone advocating narrow skis for absolutely everything. There are plenty of other skiing "gods" who don't agree with you. The Enforcer is a ski I'd put on my own short list, but then I ski a fair amount off-piste and powder. Certainly a lot more than the OP was talking about. I'm a fair bit heavier too at 190 lbs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cunners wrote:
Rossi 9x WC. World cup, race room, GS Ski. 80mm waist.

Is that the WC or the Oversize version? 80mm waist for a WC ski seems a bit wide.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
uktrailmonster, Dude the whole point is that it's so much easier to ski a wide ski on piste than it is to ski a narrow one off the piste. I've yet to meet anyone (except Plake) that disagrees.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cunners wrote:
Rossi 9x WC. World cup, race room, GS Ski. 80mm waist. If they can make that stick, I reckon it's not too great a leap to build a punter AM ski with 5mm more either side of the bindings.

I like how you reach that scientific conclusion Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
uktrailmonster, Dude the whole point is that it's so much easier to ski a wide ski on piste than it is to ski a narrow one off the piste. I've yet to meet anyone (except Plake) that disagrees.

Yeah I get that dude.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
uktrailmonster wrote:
Cunners wrote:

I like how you reach that scientific conclusion Laughing Laughing

I R SCIENCE!

snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
uktrailmonster, I'm 160 lbs and the wider skis just work so well for me. I'm no great shakes on the mountain (12 wks skiing) but hell... they are so easy to carve the groomed on... and once you get into powder they make life that much easier. I really need to refine my rudimentary skills with regard to off piste but fatter skis have allowed me to enjoy the type of terrain that makes me spend so much time in the mountains.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, errr, you've met me...still got those GS-Rs? You know the market value is about £0.50 now...I'll make you a slightly better offer (my Rossi GS's turn out to be shot...) Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cunners, I don't think the WC WC Rossis are 80 mm underfoot...only the "WC" OS ones (i.e. so you look like you're skiing on race skis when you're not...). The FIS WC GS ski is ~68mm underfoot.

It's still a great powder ski though.

Not nearly as good as the Nordica Dobermann SL-R which is THE most all round ski I've ever come across (and I have...) Powder, bumps, crud, death cookies, these puppies just behave exactly the same in all conditions...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IMO to ski a wide ski well on piste you have to be a pretty good piste skier. If I were still trying to get to be a pretty good piste skier (or simply enjoyed being on piste a lot!) I'd be looking for a ski that's narrow enough to easily ski well on piste. If I were already a pretty good piste skier or had given up trying to be a pretty good piste skier, and wanted to ski mainly off piste instead (or even just give the impression that I did), I'd get a wide ski. I think most skiers ski mostly on piste and I don't think most skiers are pretty good at it, so their ambitions aside, I therefore think wide skis hold most skiers back. Toofy Grin

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 12-02-09 23:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
slikedges, Are you a good piste skier?
snow conditions
slikedges wrote:
IMO to ski a wide ski well on piste you have to be a pretty good piste skier. If I were still trying to get to be a pretty good piste skier I'd be looking for a ski that's narrow enough to easily ski well on piste. If I were already a pretty good piste skier or had given up trying to be a pretty good piste skier, and wanted to ski mainly off piste instead (or even just give the impression that I did), I'd get a wide ski. I think most skiers ski mostly on piste and I don't think most skiers are pretty good at it, so their ambitions aside, I therefore think wide skis hold most skiers back. Toofy Grin

I agree with all of that except the 'wide skis holding skiers back' bit. I just think they reduce the fun you can have on piste, so if that's where you spend most of your time why reduce the level of fun. If the snow is great its always possible to hire a fat pair for the day to see how you get on. But what's the point of compromising the majority of your time just to follow the fashion for wide skies ? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, is the right answer, "No, but I have a huge todger?"

The question, of course, is is the OP a pretty good piste skier.
snow report
rob@rar, I don't mean that wide skis hold everyone back, they obviously have their place and are both the most efficient and most fun tools for the right person in the right conditions, just that if you're still at the stage where you need/want to progress on piste, wide skis will hold you back there.
latest report
slikedges wrote:
... if you're still at the stage where you need/want to progress on piste, wide skis will hold you back there.

Yes, I suppose they do make it more difficult to do some things well (in the same way as narrow skis make it more difficult to ski deep snow well). Perhaps being honest about what your ski priorities are and choose a ski which matches that is the best policy, accepting that all skis are the result of compromise decisions unless you only want to do one thing with them.
snow conditions
Nope not at all, i watched beginner go from such to an expert in no time, never skied on anything under 98mm, 2 weeks?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Nope not at all, i watched beginner go from such to an expert in no time, never skied on anything under 98mm, 2 weeks?

I'd hazard a guess that's fairly untypical Wink
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Cunners, I don't think the WC WC Rossis are 80 mm underfoot...only the "WC" OS ones (i.e. so you look like you're skiing on race skis when you're not...). The FIS WC GS ski is ~68mm underfoot.

It's still a great powder ski though.

Not nearly as good as the Nordica Dobermann SL-R which is THE most all round ski I've ever come across (and I have...) Powder, bumps, crud, death cookies, these puppies just behave exactly the same in all conditions...

I did suspect the FIS might have something to say about that, but I'd quite like to give 'em a whirl. Mind you i'm still keeping an eye out for the Mighty D-SLR in a hire shop so I can put the claims to the test! Your comments in mind I shall be sure to give em a wipe down first, though Shocked
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

and that must be down to equipment, not talent Puzzled i guess if he/she was on narrow skis it would have taken much longer.. Laughing
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

And on that you base your entire concept of skier progression? Radical indeed.
ski holidays
When I started skiing I came from 20 yrs of winter climbing background, was doing some fairly steep off piste in my 3rd week. That's just what I enjoy. SZK may be overstating the amount of people who would get decent use out of wide skis at that stage in their skiing but there are a lot of folk whose main interest is in venturing off piste and who never aspire to perfecting the perfect carving angulation. As stated above... horses for courses... be honest in your ability and aspirations. I'd say that wider skis do need a modicom of carving experience to gain enough confidence to crank them over, narrower skis make this easier to achieve.
snow report
Scarpa, and for those for whom off piste is the thrust, wide skis are indeed the right thing. They're just not for absolutely everyone as some here (not just SZK) who probably ought to know better seem to believe.
snow conditions
slikedges, Agree... SMALLZOOKEEPER you are a very very naughty rabbit!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Who's to say whether it's talent, are you then saying that narrow waisted skis are for talentless piste limpets? For what it's worth i learned to ski on 184cm WC GS skis, but quickly moved over to a 95mm ski so as to take full advantage of the variety of terrain. I can only see a narrow waisted ski being of use when edge to edge speed is of importance, ie gates and skiing quickly on the piste during a busy february holiday. Otherwise i don't get it at all. Get no quicker when skiing my 103mm or 63mm skis from the top to the bottom of the GM.

slikedges, Can i ask when you learned to ski the piste and if indeed you are a competent piste skier (by which i mean able to ski at differing speeds, applying different techniques, variable turn radiuses (i) in varied conditions?)
latest report
I'm interested in this talent thing. What is talent? I'll start a new thread i think. Gona love this one. Toofy Grin
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Cunners wrote:
Rossi 9x WC. World cup, race room, GS Ski. 80mm waist.

Is that the WC or the Oversize version? 80mm waist for a WC ski seems a bit wide.

I tried the oversize version last week. 80mm underfoot, 170 long and a radius of 17m (for all you BASI bods). A little softer than the race ski and great all round ski Very Happy
snow conditions
stewart woodward, I bet. I think for most reasonably "good" piste skiers, something like the Rossi Oversize range is probably going to give them a better mix of on piste fun with enough width to start thinking about off piste than many "all mountain" skis.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

Get no quicker when skiing my 103mm or 63mm skis from the top to the bottom of the GM.

It's just a compromise. What's actually wrong with a decent pair of 80 mm waist AM skis for an average skier spending 90% of their time on piste and the other 10% on easy off-piste? Especially if they're fairly light as well. If the focus is more off piste then yeah why not go wider. But the wider you go the slower they are changing edges, particularly in short radius turns on hard pistes. They are generally harder to improve your basic technique on. Looking around the average piste, most skiers you see on fattish AM skis are just skidding around anyway and would probably benefit significantly from a better piste ski.
snow report
uktrailmonster, Nothing wrong with it in theory, but a wider ski will make it easier and require a less adaptive technique, perhaps then the percentage of time spent off piste might increase??????????
ski holidays
I think you're over-stating the importance of a wide ski for off-piste. I was on the chair with my 100 mm wide powder skis (2 feet of fresh powder, first lift) with 2 guys next to me. One of them is on fairly fat skis like mine, the other is on a pair of early 90s skinny as you like slalom skis. We both look at him and the guy with the fat skis says "Jesus, it's going to be a tough day on those skis mate". The guy with the skinnys casually replies "Well I grew up over in Whitewater, I'm used to skiing this stuff nearly every day". So we get to the top. The guy with the fat skis sets off in the style of Jody Kidd on Ski Sunday the other day (i.e. rubbish). The guy from Whitewater rips down through the trees like it's nothing. It reminded me how little your kit has got to do with it. I suppose on that basis who cares what skis we choose to buy?
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, what is the relevance of how good a skier I personally am? There're already enough posts on this thread to provide external validity for my opinion. If you really wish to engage me in a debate, can I then ask you for a list of your academic achievements so that we can first establish the proper heirarchy of cognitive ability between us so you know your place? Thought not. If you wish to deploy an ad hominem attack, try elsewhere. rolling eyes

To get back to your point, if what you are implying is to be believed, all instructors should now be telling all their clients to hotfoot it over to your shop to buy a pair of barges, then go home and find something else to justify their existence, leaving 2 week experts to hoon down couloirs in peace? Cool
ski holidays
Laughing

So can you answer the question?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Laughing

So can you answer the question?

I can. I've only seen him do a few turns on an indoor slope, and that was before I knew who he was, but that was enough for me to conclude he's a pretty good skier. Although anyone who knows what they are talking about should be able to see where he is coming from just by reading his contribution in this thread, so I'm not sure that self-declared ability rankings really add that much to the debate.
ski holidays
Ok, so slikedges, when you learned to ski, did you learn on narrow or wide skis?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy