Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I NEED a snowskirt on my jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Alpha SV markets itself as a close fitting jacket so you should be okay. It certainly fits me perfectly and I am no giant! It doesn't have a lot of pockets, but that is the idea with this jacket.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thanks for the feedbakc on the Alpha SV conor.
Sounds like will be ideal.

I do hope that Arcteryx are not moving away from the close cut that they have become so well known for.
With me being skinny and running really cold without being too good at producing my own warmth, I would hate to have to end up with clothing loose fitting, leaving me with a large windbag of clothing to heat with my body heat.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rockyrobin,

check out beyondfleece.com. they do make made-to-measure softshells at very reasonable prices and their quality and service is supposed to be very good (according to US message boards). they are US based though, so not sure whether they will ship to the UK.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
yeah have a look at the Patagonia lineup. I have the whitesmoke, it is a trim fit, but with layers, still feels great
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowman - Thanks for the info on beyondfleece.com Smile Pick and mix clothing, hmmmm? (Goes and looks to see if wardrobe can take any more) Toofy Grin

knibbyson - Thanks for the heads up on the Whitesmoke Smile I'm afraid its too late though as I had a looksee at the Arcteryx Alpha SV today and the cut and length were nigh on perfect with the price reduced I bit the bullet along with the Theta SK bibs.

Hope I won't end up regretting the choice.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.
Hope I can reciprocate sometime.

RR snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rockyrobin wrote:
Hi DB,

Thanks for the linkys Smile
Some good info on there.
I tried to follow your salewa linky but alas looks like their site backend has gone tits up Puzzled

Took the jacket back today and got a refund.
I had a looksee at the Arcteryx Theta AR jacket and it fitted better but not as trim as I wanted as it was over my soft shell jacket which was over a fleece and baselayer and was still not quite as trim as I would have liked.
Their getting an Alpha SV in next week for me to try on so will see if that will be the answer - fingers crossed Very Happy
Had a try on of the Arcteryx Theta SK bib/pants. Was very impressed but they aint cheap! Shocked
Are these better than the minuteman bibs?
At the moment its looking like an Alpha SV jacket + Theta SK pants.
Would this combo get the "snowheads" seal of approval or should I be looking at something else?
i'm waiting for my theta sk bibs right now,i'm pairing it with my sidewinder pro shell. Needless to say i gotta sell my beta ar's lol. It'll be my seventh arc piece in my collection. Hells yeah it gets my approval!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The sk's are supposed to be a bit slimmer than my beta's. My sidewinder, '08 is a bit baggy even with the fleece mid. but if i went to a small the arms would be too short. I'm 140lbs. 5"8.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris,

I always thought a snow skitt essential but couldn't find a jacket I liked (i am fussy) and ended up with a Patagucci something (which I really like).

It has no snow skirt. It is excellent. And in powder no problem.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
...you're about 8 years too late wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Serriadh, ha haha
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
admin wrote:
I used to use a jacket without a snowskirt which was fine >90% of the time. But when there's a lot of new snow around and especially when it's deep, it tends to get in every nook and cranny if U fall. With a couple of experiences of snow where snow don't ought to go Shocked , a snowskirt was very high on my list of priorities when I got my current jacket 3 yrs ago. I don't get snow in those places anymore snowHead
This is it http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/snowStuff.php?snowThing=munro (as u can see: I liked it so much, we now sell them Wink ) There's more about it in the snowShops
In defence of my shameless plugging I should say that I'm no longer the only snowHead who rates this jacket highly http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2698

As an old climber, since I discovered Keela, I no longer have to make decisions what to wear when I go anywhere outside, either for my upper torso or my trouser area, and many of Britain's Mountain Rescue teams concur too, although I do still check in at the Mountain Equipment page every now and again as my now dead, torn and twisted Annapurna down jacket kept me smiling in many places when others around me stood shivering Little Angel

I only wish Scarpa made affordable beginners ski boots and I'd be a happy man
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

If you're skiing fast enough that you need a skirt, then you'll be skiing too fast for the skirt to make any difference.

Is that what they're for? I always thought they were to stop powder getting up your back. The paradox i have found is that if there is enough powder about for a snowskirt to be engaged, then you will inevitably get snow up your jacket anyway when you stack it (and you will stack it at some point - that is half the point of good powder). The problem then is that the powder skirt keeps the snow in, which then melts and runs down your pants. Therefore, when conditions dictate you should have a powder skirt, my experience is that you are better off not using it, because when you stack it, at least you can brush the snow out of your jacket before it melts.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
monkey, yup, snow skirts are wasted on people who ski < 30kph wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serriadh wrote:
...you're about 8 years too late wink

See threads about carving skis, fat skis and now rockered skis Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy