Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I NEED a snowskirt on my jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking at treating myself to a new jacket and pants but was wondering just how much the need is for a snow skirt on the jacket?
I really liked the look of the Arcteryx Fission SV due to its slim cut, long length and built in insulation to supplement my layering for really cold conditions.
Being very slim and always feeling the cold this would be the ideal jacket but alas no snow skirt.
Do I really need a snow skirt?
If any of you guys ski with no snow skirt in your jacket be grateful if you would let me know your experiences.

Thanks,

Chris
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rockyrobin, I've never had a jacket with a snowskirt. I just make sure the jackets are nice and long, so they cover my bum, and I've never had a problem.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rockyrobin, so long as the jacket overlaps the trousers by a decent amount you will be fine, make sure there are no gaps when you are bent right over Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks marc (waves hello to a fellow Yorkshireman),

I was wondering as looking at the height of some of the snow skirts I cannot see how you would use them without your layers hanging out Sad
No snow skirt should make my choosing a lot easier Smile
Only thing I have noticed is that the majority of jackets I have tried on are like wearing a bin liner!
Arms fit fine but the body is usually way too big making me feel uncomfortable.
The only jackets i've tried so far that feel right have been the Arcteryx range, but alas even they are now starting to put out new jackets with a looser fit.
Are there any other jackets that offer a similar tailored fit to Arcteryx's jackets?
I've tried MountainHardwear but when they're close cut they always feel too short.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
make sure there are no gaps when you are bent right over :Shocked:

Lol, nothing like getting a bit of wind in your tail Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I used to use a jacket without a snowskirt which was fine >90% of the time. But when there's a lot of new snow around and especially when it's deep, it tends to get in every nook and cranny if U fall. With a couple of experiences of snow where snow don't ought to go Shocked , a snowskirt was very high on my list of priorities when I got my current jacket 3 yrs ago. I don't get snow in those places anymore snowHead
This is it http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/snowStuff.php?snowThing=munro (as u can see: I liked it so much, we now sell them Wink ) There's more about it in the snowShops
In defence of my shameless plugging I should say that I'm no longer the only snowHead who rates this jacket highly http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2698
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi rockyrobin, as a fellow Yorkshireman you'll also appreciate admin's discounts Very Happy

Also as it has a double drawstring you should be able to tighten the fit a little.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hehe, thanks for the info on the Keela.
Does the Keela jacket shown accomodate a helmet ok?
I was quite smitten with the look of the yam/black.
How far up from the bottom hem is the snow skirt?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My old short length mountianeering goretex has no snow skirt but has a waist and hem drawstring which enable me to keep it fairly snug. I've never found a problem with snow making it's way upwards whenever I've fallen in the past and I've had some good tumbles.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone,

I managed to find an Arcteryx Patriot at a good price. Just hope I won't be dissapointed when it arrives.
Next stop now pants - time to play with the search function.
Hope you guys/ladies won't mind me coming back to badger you if I fail to turn anything up.

Warm regards,

RR
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Does the Keela jacket shown accomodate a helmet ok?
Yes, I believe so though I haven't tried it myself. The hood is fully adjustable. It has 3 draw-strings and it's also wired across the front (so u can streamline it against the wind).
The snowskirt is attached to the jacket about 8 inches from the bottom and extends to about 2 inches from the bottom.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Next stop now pants
Well, now that u mention it:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/snowStuff.php?snowThing=SALOPETTES or http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/snowStuff.php?snowThing=alpine Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One piece suit - end of problem, nice colours.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the linkys admin Smile
I'm afraid i'm looking for some "stealth" trousers - look like normal trousers but ok for skiing in?
Not having much luck though as what is available is silly money Sad

Nogs - That reminds me of when I skied in my younger years in the 80's.
Sad thing is that all in one suits were and probably still are more comfortable.
Hmmm, all-in-one with Primaloft insulation, waterproof zips, Goretex XCR, loads of vents, oh and must be bright yellow to make you look like a banana with the black shin guards Cool Be worth wearing something like that just to brighten the day up Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You got it rockyrobin, épatez les snowboardoisie!
ski holidays
I recently got an Arcteryx Alpha SV. Lightweight. Extremely well-fitted. Pit zips. Shorter at the front but with a longer tail. Who needs a snowskirt? I find that snow doesn't get over the waist of my salopettes. I'd highly recommend the Alpha SV if you prefer layering under an outer shell rather that an insulated jacket.
snow report
Quote:

Do I really need a snow skirt

No.
If you're skiing fast enough that you need a skirt, then you'll be skiing too fast for the skirt to make any difference. If you're not going fast enough to need a skirt, then you ..... er.... pretty obvious, really. Never had one myself. I fall over lots, never found any time when a skirt would've made a spot of difference.

You'll spend more time arsing around every morning doing it up tho.....
snow report
Quote:

You'll spend more time arsing around every morning doing it up tho
mine does up with 3 poppers: total arsing time = 2.3 seconds
Again it's all down to how much soft snow u are around. On a hard packed piste, it rarely makes any difference at all; in deeper, fresher snow it can save your crannies Shocked
latest report
I'd like my crannies saved, but I'm not sure I want to wear a skirt.

Oh, have a joined in a thread I don't really understand, again???
ski holidays
I've never really had a need for a snow skirt as I'm still wearing a very dodgy early eighties pair of salopettes - they come up to my armpits & never let any snow in! They do look ridiculous though...
snow conditions
I've got jackets with and without them which I use. It's better with, it's significantly warmer sat on lifts etc and stops snow getting everywhere.
latest report
ise, I agree. A couple of years ago in Andorra we were ski=ing in knee deep powder on piste! The snow was 'Falling' horizontally. It was a godsend to be able to batten down all the hatches whether on piste or lift.

Even with a powderskirt snow still got everywhere after a wpieout, but it would have been 10 times worse without. Skullie
snow conditions
Better to get a jacket with a snow-skirt than one without. I only do mine up (if I remember!) when going off-piste in deep snow mind you. If you never plan to go off-piste I wouldn't worry about it too much. Anything is better than wearing a one-piece tho...

I always seem to get snow down my neck rather than coming up my jacket! Perhaps I should stop falling over..?
snow conditions
Unlike Admin my current jacket had a snow-skirt by accident. And my next jacket will have one too. It keeps you a little warmer and occasionally a little drier. So it is right up there with colour and number of pockets in terms of importance Very Happy
snow report
Perhaps a miniskirt would be a good compromise? Embarassed Toofy Grin
Would have to make sure not to leave any gaps when bent over though - you just don't know these days Laughing

I have noticed that the Arcteryx jackets state their skirts are adjustable?
Hmmm, perhaps not a good idea to carry on this skirt conversation before it starts getting a bit risque Wink

Thanks everyone for your input. One Arcteryx Patriot SV is in the post. Skirt plus built in insulation - hopefully one happy bunny Smile
snow report
Snowskirts are nice but not essential. If your jacket does not have one, make sure you have snowpants that go up fairly high, and tuck everything (except yourr jacket, of course) into the top of your pants. This is what I do, and rarely have a problem with snow getting up there, even on powder days.
ski holidays
I just got an Arc'teryx Sidewinder AR for about £250 - while Ellis Brigham are selling the lower spec version of it for £399, or, you can look at it the other way, which is that I got the Minuteman pants for about £20 instead of £269

http://www.ellisbrigham.co.uk/arcteryx-clothing.htm

http://www.backcountry.com/store/ARC0159/c11/s20/Arcteryx-Sidewinder-AR-Jacket-Mens.html
ski holidays
Hi WTFH,
How do you find the roll away hood?
I am half expecting the usual half hearted attempt compared to a full time one.
Do they miss anything out of the hood compared to the other jackets that are'nt roll away?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rockyrobin, ask me again in a couple of weeks - I'm picking it up in Momtana at the weekend.
snow report
Cheers WTFH, hope you have plenty of fresh cold white stuff for your trip snowHead
ski holidays
you ever look at a Patagonia Whitesmoke? skirt inside, little longer cut int he back, but still an overall trim fit.
snow report
Grrrrrr Crying or Very sad
Got the jacket today - what are Arcteryx thinking of?
Mine is a small yet its HUUUUUGE! Sad
My old man reckons its great to fit him, though he usually takes a large!
Even wearing loads of layers its like wearing a billowing wind bag.
I can just imagine what it would be like jumping up and down in the cold, sucking in cold air and blowing out hot air like a big chimney.
Back to the drawing table.

My problem seems to be my 5'11" height, 29" waist, 35" chest.
knibbyson - do you think I would have a better chance of a snug fit with the patagonia?
My problem is there are no retailers near where I live that stocks this kind of stuff.

If anyone would like to offer me any other suggestions be grateful for the info.

Going back to the one piece suite - I noticed that Arcteryx are doing one in Yam (yellow). Have any of you guys seen one of these in the flesh?
Looks real like a banane with the black shin patches! Laughing

Cheers,

RR
snow report
rockyrobin, mine arrived in Montana today, it's a medium and I'm a 42" chest. Also went for medium pants, which are supposed to be 33".
ski holidays
WTFH, sounds like your build is closer to the Arcteryx sizing than me.
Funny thing is the small sized fleeces, jumpers etc by Arcteryx fit ok, yet the jacket is massive.
Think i'll have to look elsewhere.
Have you tried the jacket on in your size before ordering?
snow report
rockyrobin, no, but I tried on other US jackets, and the Backcountry website has a sizing chart for them.
snow report
I have my fingers crossed for you.
When they say relaxed fitting they were'nt kidding Laughing
I should have taken a photo of the jacket over my down jacket before packing it up for return.
Made me look like a right Mr Blobby Laughing
snow conditions
rockyrobin,
Heard that Arcteryx have 'relaxed' (technical term which means made it bigger so it fits fatter people) the fit on some of their jackets.
I have one of the older ArcteryX Alpa SV and it's slim fitting, you may actually be better off trying to buy an older ArcteryX model. Failing that maybe ask if someone of a similar size to you who is nearer an Arcteryx outlet to try a few jackets for size and report back. Maybe ask here http://tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Saw this last night in the local shop http://www.salewa.com/index3.asp and although it's not as robust as the Arcteryx, the quality and features looked good (powder skirt, underarm vents, sleeve ski pass holder, roll up hood) retailed for around 265 GBP. It was slim fitting.
snow report
Hi DB,

Thanks for the linkys Smile
Some good info on there.
I tried to follow your salewa linky but alas looks like their site backend has gone tits up Puzzled

Took the jacket back today and got a refund.
I had a looksee at the Arcteryx Theta AR jacket and it fitted better but not as trim as I wanted as it was over my soft shell jacket which was over a fleece and baselayer and was still not quite as trim as I would have liked.
Their getting an Alpha SV in next week for me to try on so will see if that will be the answer - fingers crossed Very Happy
Had a try on of the Arcteryx Theta SK bib/pants. Was very impressed but they aint cheap! Shocked
Are these better than the minuteman bibs?
At the moment its looking like an Alpha SV jacket + Theta SK pants.
Would this combo get the "snowheads" seal of approval or should I be looking at something else?
snow report
rockyrobin,

Opps didn't see that the link wasn't working

http://www.salewa.com/language.asp?l=3&market=13

Under "products" "garments" "Apline Xtreme" it was the SURVEY GTX JACKET. Only two layer goretex but looked good as I said earlier.

As long as you can live without the powder skirt on the Alpha SV Jacket then I don't see any problems. It's all a bit like skis, clothing, women, cars, music etc etc etc - what suits me might not suit you.

Schoeller make some great softer stretch fabrics which might well suit your slimmer figure, have you tried the sidewinder comp? the small has a chest size of 35".
http://www.arcteryx.com

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?group=Softshells∏=3029
ski holidays
Thanks again DB Smile
That salewa gear will be getting a viewing real soon.
Seems they have a dealer quite close to me I never knew existed.
Hehe, must get out more snowHead
I would go for the softf shell stuff, but after experiencing my current soft shell gear I woiuld hate to use it without backup of a hardshell.
Despite all the hype, I would not like to be stuck on a chairlift in the peeing rain without a waterproof shell on.
The yelloow jacket and pants salewa do look good. One of these seasons I guess I am destined to become a skiing banana, LOL Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy