Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

White Dot Freeride: "The One" Review

Poster: A snowHead
White Dot Freeride
"The One" Twintip

(124-89-119) 19m radius @ 180cm
2009-2010 production candidate

(click here for LARGER version)

Manufacturer Info:

White Dot Freeride
41 Cottingley Rd, Sandy Lane, West Yorkshire, BD15 9JN, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 7971 471306
http://www.whitedotfreeride.com

Background:

White Dot Freeride is one of two ski companies in the U.K. (both born last year, testing their skis this season for retail sales next year...both led by guys named Andrew...go figure..). White Dot is a small company with only a few guys who want to make only three (maybe four) models of different skis, but make them well. They designed all their own skis, specified their own construction and materials and decided to outsource construction to another country in Europe to conserve cash right now and concentrate on R&D to get the first skis the way they want them. I tried their park & pipe ski ("The One") and their cambered powder ski ("The Preacher"). They were still tweaking the rocker and stiffness specs as of January, 2009 so I could not try their "Redeemer" rockered pow ski, but they said their final pre-production version should be ready by the end of February (maybe..)..I'll let you know as soon as I can get on a pair. Anyway...nice guys making some good skis at a decent price. Plus, they have dots...lots of dots...

Usage Class:

Park & Pipe / All Mountain Twintip

Your Rating (with comments): (1="get me off these things"->10="I have to own a pair")

Summary:

A solid, excellent quality P&P twintip ski with plenty of zing, very good edge grip and manouverability. Not as burly as, let's say a Lib-Tech NAS P&P, but more accurate with more precision feel. Not as soft as a Palmer P01, but stronger. Very versatile. Great color. This one will sell a ton once people try it. Mount it slightly rear of center "freestyle" for an all-mountain frontside ski capable of any rowdy tricks you might want, or mount it on the center pivot point for terrain and park navigation. Not for heavyweights, muscleheads, high-speed or whimpy skiers...hits the majority of users for this category right on, I think.

Technical Ski Data:

- TRUE TWIN -
BASE: ISO highspeed, Graphite infused die cut
DIMS: 124/89/119
LENGTHS: 166,173,180
RADIUS: 16, 18, 19
EFFECTIVE EDGE: 146, 152, 158
TIP/TAIL LENGTHS: 175,175
EDGE ANGLE: 1=3
CORE: Okume, Poplar Laminate
SIDEWALL: ABS EDGES: 2mm steel, 360 degree
CAMBER: 12mm
TOPSHEET: Screen Printed Nylon
CONSTRUCTION: Graphite infused ISO Highspeed
base/2mm edge/Okume poplar core/Carbon Fibre,
Kevlar Weave/Nylon Topsheet
Price: €460

Pre-Skiing Impression:

Excellent resurrection of orange topsheet color. Excellent quality of fit-and-finish. Snappy rebound, decent dampening, torsionally strong with smooth flex, no "hot spots", but decently strong body. Really attractive price of €460.

Test Conditions:

Cold, dry, powder snow 1 day old, boot-deep powder, tracked-out boot-deep powder and nicely packed groomers with small bumps on the sides if you look for them. Les Grand Montets - Chamonix, France. January 2009.

Test Results:

I skied these after riding powder boards all morning and found them to have very quick response at the helm without being squirrely. Very quick edge to edge, grippy anywhere along their length, capable of quick cuts, sustained edging, pops, changes of direction and bumps just right. Mounted on freestyle-center, they got "interesting" and "self-directional" at GS-like speeds if ridden too flat for too long (not a good idea on centermount P&P skis anyway...but I had to try it to see when they would get wandery). I could dash in and out of cut up powder on the edges of the groomers, in and out of the bumps (they want to give you instant feedback in the bumps...not a bad thing...just be alert...they are lively..just the way you want them to be), make direction changes on-demand in the blink of an eye, and if you load them up, they spring with plenty of control and land quietly and stay where you plant them. Comparing these to the Lib-Tech NAS P&P we tested before, this ski is more precise, and not as burly or demanding. It you are muscular and need a heavy-timber weapon, you might overski the "The One". If you are looking for a softie twintip, "The One" will probably make you pay attention too much because it wants to cut, carve and pop...not lounge-around. If you're not at the extreme "muscle-head" nor "floppy-ski" end of the spectrum, "The One" will probably do a great job for you. Demo a pair and make your own decision. The build quality appears to be above-average, and the materials look very solid, so I think they will hold up well. I think park & pipe freaks will find them really fun (I am NOT a terrain park guy...have someone else review their aerial prowess...) and responsive, and definitely eye-catching in orange with white dots. I also think this would be a great teen-twenty-something all-mountain frontside ski if mounted just behind the freestyle centerpoint to give it some stability at higher speeds. "The One" will suit lots of skiers looking for a responsive, well-built twintip freestyle ski that can cut up the hill nicely. And, you can give your cash to a small ski company instead of one with huge corporate overhead and attitude. "The One" is priced for the people - and that's a nice thing to see.

Analogies: (this ski is like...)

A Cooper Mini "Turbo S Clubman". Quick, nimble, sporty and hip, but still ample enough to do some errands around town when you want some time off from driving intensely. Enthusiast drivers can get it to do some great gymnastics with ease, while more casual sport drivers can take it all over the place and still keep a wide grin. Cool and very responsive.

Self-Description of Skiing Style, Ability, Experience, Preferences:

Expert groomed-surface carver, "old-style" race inspired, "foot steerer" with fairly sensitive edging feel who loves the feel of powder floating and banking. Loves to hold long arcs with lots of pressure on the downhill ski (you know the type), but also loves the feel of both skis on-edge leaving tiny railroad track edge tracks. Not an instructor, but 10 year coach for youth race team in New England (bulletproof is the norm).

Photos:

"The One"
(click here for a LARGER version)

"The One" tips
(click here for a LARGER version)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any idea as to how the edges will hold up if hitting rails and boxes? wonder how they'd rack up against the punishers/prophets/msp/extreems?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nice review, interesting that they put a 3 degree side edge on a park ski.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, We decided park skiers can easily detune but most people buying the ski will be all mountain skiers who could use an edge like that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
exoticskis, what a comprehensive report! - I'm sure it will help anyone who is considering a pair
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kiwi1, have you guys done any testing between 2 and 3 degree edges with regards to wear and edge hold?

I have gone with 3 on all my skis and they defo hold better but they seem to burr up quicker from rock hits etc... it could just be that there have been more rocks about this season than normal
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret I think you've hit the nail on the head, yes they hold an edge better but you need to de-burr more often. We felt that if people want to change angles it's easier to take a ski from a 87degree to a 88degree than the other way around.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kiwi1 wrote:
skimottaret I think you've hit the nail on the head, yes they hold an edge better but you need to de-burr more often. We felt that if people want to change angles it's easier to take a ski from a 87degree to a 88degree than the other way around.

Doesn't it take way more edge off to go from 87 to 88? Interesting review anyway - how light are they?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
180cm is 1.65kg
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
that's really light isnt it?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Analogies: (this ski is like...)

A Cooper Mini "Turbo S Clubman".

My skis are more like a posh Limo, as I'm often in the 'back seat'! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, if you're skiing on hardpack you should be doing a quick deburr each night, irrespective of the side edge angle you're using.

kiwi1, more spam rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WTF is a deburr?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, yeah great isn't it. Toofy Grin
parlor, sings lady in red. You played it to me the other night when you were trying to get me drunk. I'm not wearing that red number for you again. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kiwi1, Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

if you're skiing on hardpack you should be doing a quick deburr each night, irrespective of the side edge angle you're using.

even if not wacking into any rocks? does the edge need deburring just from ice?
snow report
skimottaret, A quick run of the fingers over the edges should tell you as and when...but I'd expect hard snow to have an effect..

If the snow is hard on pistes, I'll run a diamond file over most nights
ski holidays
kiwi1, thanks bro. He went to my school, I get it all now...
ski holidays
JT, i am ont taliking about the edges getting dull, deburring to me means using a stone to get rid of hanging burrs and work hardened edges from rock strikes. i do that prior to resharpening with my diamond files as if you dont you will ruin your files very quickly.
snow conditions
Who yu gunna call?
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy