Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Single Trip - Austria vs France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Due to numerous reasons/excuses (recession, babies etc.etc) and a general total lack of prioritisation, a party of 4 has become 1. On a trip out on March 14th with ski companies, choices seems to be nice hotel in Soll or maybe a chalet in La Plagne. I was also looking at going independent, maybe to Morzine but after a couple of quick searches, it appears that although flights are cheap to Geneva, single accomodation if available, is very expensive in Morzine.

Any views on best option for intermediate where skiing as opposed to night live is by far the most important would be appreciated

many thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Baxter1, if you are thinking about independent, have a look at flights to Austria. Most of the resorts have cheap b&b that will have single rooms or if not busy will let you have a double for no/very little extra.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd vote for Austria although I will be in France twice this season. Austria has better ambiance, nicer towns, better apres ski, cheaper accommodation and only possible negative in mid March might be more slushy slopes because of lower mountains.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Baxter1, I travel alone and it's generally not the cheap option. France I have pretty much ruled out as single rooms are very few and far between. There seem to be more single rooms in Austria and Italy so that's where I generally end up. There is of course always the option of paying extra for sole use of a twin room, which in some places or if booked last minute, isn't that bad. I avoid B&Bs as it's often far more expensive to eat out in resort than a catered hotel/chalet...

I have often looked at DIY alternatives but for a single traveller I think TOs offer the best deals. The big stumbling block is transfers. There aren't that many resorts which have easy public transport from airports and private transfers/car hire is a prohibitive cost for a single traveller...

I have travelled solo to Pas De La Casa, Val D'Isère (was feeling flush that year), Passo Tonale and Kitzbühel and this season I'm off to Courmayeur. It's easy to find other people to ski with either via your accommodation or via TO excursions but often I am more than happy to ski alone as I never venture off-piste...

You should have no trouble finding something for that week and there may even be a snowHead or two around for you to ski with. Have fun...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Baxter1 wrote:
Hi all

Due to numerous reasons/excuses (recession, babies etc.etc) and a general total lack of prioritisation, a party of 4 has become 1. On a trip out on March 14th with ski companies, choices seems to be nice hotel in Soll or maybe a chalet in La Plagne. I was also looking at going independent, maybe to Morzine but after a couple of quick searches, it appears that although flights are cheap to Geneva, single accomodation if available, is very expensive in Morzine.

Any views on best option for intermediate where skiing as opposed to night live is by far the most important would be appreciated

many thanks

Austria is far easier to find good value for a solo traveller than France.

And Soll should be a good choice for an intermediate skier - I'm off to Ellmau the following week as a solo. Both are part of the Ski Welt area, with 250km of linked skiing, mainly red & blue, with about 10% black and a few itineraries.

I have looked in previous years at doing DIY, and have never yet found it very much cheaper than using a TO. I would also suggest a half board package rather than B&B, both from a cost point of view, and because it means you will proabbly get to know oters in the hotel, giving potential ski partners (although again if going with a TO they usually offer some sort of "ski leading" service for a few days).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hi guys, thanks all for the quick response, was leaning towards Soll (€750 for half board in 3*) even though great memories of France come flooding back. Alex, have you done ski school in Soll? in reading your response there is enough to keep busy for one week?

thanks again
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm on the look out for my first solo trip but probably the week before you Baxter1. I wanted to join up with a group trip but flight prices end up pushing the cost way out of my league. I've come across a couple of catered chalets that aren't mad dear but they are in Meribel and Courcheval (Austria isn't so cheap for that week as far as I can see and I was trying to avoid the Skiwelt as I've been twice) and eventhough the ski areas sound great, I'm very concerned that either I couldn't afford to eat any lunch or that I'd be completely swamped show-off types. All of which would be fine with my own posse around me but on my own might be a bit miserable. I'm not a mad party animal either. Are they really that bad or is it all just hype?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Should have said: Soll is a great friendly spot and you'll have no trouble teaming up with others there. I did ski school twice with Embacher and found them very good (the owner is gas craic corralling all his staff in the mornings). Their office at bottom of gondola and there's a rental shop across the road is very handy as you can leave your kit there and avoid trekking about in the cursed boots. The only downside (and it's minor) about Soll is that the gondola is a good bit out of the town which means you either walk or get the bus. It's not that far but more than you'd be used to in other resorts most likely.

I'd go to Soll again myself except I've been twice and have promised himself (who has never been) that we'd next go together.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Baxter1,

this thread might help:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1107255&highlight=#1107255

and the outcome:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47688
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi,
I usually travel alone and meet up with people during the week, i have been to St.Johann in Tirol on a few occasions, and although not one of the more commercial raved about resorts, is a beautiful self contained typical Tirolean village with over 200km of skiing area, excellent apres, very reasonable pensions (bnb's), great intermediate skiing and the people are genuinely all down to earth and very accomadating, the transfer is only an hour from Salzburg and costs €30 and the Pension i usually stay in has single rooms for €40pppn incl breakfast, it has a ski room in the basement, a sauna and is about a 5 min walk from the main gondola, can send u more info if interested...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all, thanks again for the responses, I'll have to make a call on this shortly but Austria looks the choice.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy