Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What causes pain in the lower shin area?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I bought new boots last year. I did 9 days skiiing on them, 6 at EOSB. They were dead comfortable with no problems at all.

I've not skiied since April last year until this weekend. I've just done 4 days skiing in Scotland over the weekend. I now have quite a bit of pain in the lower shin area on my left leg. I'm using the same socks as last year and my boots are not damaged in any way.

Has anyone else experienced this and do you know what causes it?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had the same in my old boots, fine for their first season, early in the second season lower shin was very painful. Don't know what caused it, unless it's to do with changes in my feet over the summer. I used an Epitact pad for the rest of the season, then changed boots (for a different reason) for this season
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bikeandsnow, my pain was caused by a bottle of contact lense solution between the bottonm of the liner and the shell Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bikeandsnow, Epitact rocks for shin protection - not cheap, but worth it.

Frosty the Snowman, I have wondered what you used to clean your lenses between arrival in resort and your discovery...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vetski, The bottle in the boot was not part of my packing plans. I had a full set of solutions with me, this errant bottle had fallen in the shell when I had cleaned my boots after the previous trip.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting...

Eng & Vetski, do you mean one of these:

http://www.feetlife.co.uk/Buy-Online/Gel-Shin-Protector-by-Epitact/515

Looks like it's designed specifically for skiiing.

It costs £10.50 which is not cheap but definitely worth it because I don't feel like skiing when it gets quite painful.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bikeandsnow, yup, that's the stuff. And thanks for the link - I've just seen some gel footbeds which might be just the thing to relieve the agony I've had with my feet recently.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bikeandsnow, that's the puppy. Stick 'n' lift and washable - great
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I developed extreme pain on the very bottom of my shins after about 4 days with my new boots. It was like nothing I've experienced while skiing before and the slightest pressure to the area hurt like an absolute bitch.

Bought some of these with my precious euros but they made bugger all difference.
Bikeandsnow wrote:
http://www.feetlife.co.uk/Buy-Online/Gel-Shin-Protector-by-Epitact/515

The only way I was able to ski for the next week was by physically stuffing a spare sock down the front of each boot arranging it above and below the area of pain to take the pressure off that area. It was a very crude, drastic measure but worked well and was the only way I could ski pain free.

Still have to go back to the boot fitter and find the problem.

{sorry, this post is probably completely useless to the poster...}
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi bikeandsnow.. not sure where you're skiing, but I had the same problem with my boots for a few years.. I stopped tucking my thermals in this year and the problem went away for free. Only helpful advice if you wear longjohns though! Madeye-Smiley
Another thing to try might be to do the foot fasteners up tight as you can, and do the powder strap, but don't do the leg fasteners up too tight?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Doh, sorry, you mentioned scotland.. so you may have been in thermals Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The first 4 days I ever skied... damn hire boots cut right into my shins. Looked like someone had taken a can opener to them Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thermals may be an issue - although I always use full length thermals with no problems, I just make sure there are no rucks in them when putting my socks over them in the morning.

Contrary to what Redkiteflyer said, one possibility is that the cuff fasteners are not tight enough. If your legs can flap about in them, and you're skiing hard in bumpy terrain there can be quite a bit of shin bang when you get to the extremes of movement and come up against the resistance of the boots. I wouldn't have through this should be an issue with yours as they've not been skied much since fitting - but I'm getting this problem now as I've had a lot of skiing on mine and I think the liners are pretty badly packed down. Packing them out with bits of carpet or thick sock between the liner tongue and shell is working for me. Again, I doubt it's a problem for you, but another source of this problem is on my touring boots, as the cuffs are much lower, and so put more pressure lower down on the shin for the same amount of leverage on the ski.

So several potential sources of the problem, but I doubt they apply to you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Redkiteflyer wrote:
Doh, sorry, you mentioned scotland.. so you may have been in thermals Embarassed

Hello Redkiteflyer

Yes, I was, but they were not inside the boot.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Friction. Which is why one set of boots were OK and the others weren't.

We bought shinshields for my son who was in great pain last holiday. He can report back next week on how successful they were. These are thin memory foam shin pads, with one side very slippy to put against the leg, the other rough to grip to the sock.

A personal question - have you got skinny legs? This is often a teenage problem where they have grown to height, have big feet, but not bulked out so their stick thin legs rattle around in the ski boots despite using a drill to re-site the clips and doing the strap up tight.
snow report
GrahamN,
Quote:

Thermals may be an issue - although I always use full length thermals with no problems, I just make sure there are no rucks in them when putting my socks over them in the morning.

I put my thermals over my socks. No shin pain problems. Not sure if it's related though
snow report
Jane L, no, my legs are quite muscular. Very chunky!

I went to Snow and Rock yesterday where I bought the boots from. They recommended these bits of rubber which go into the boot (under the inner boot) that raises the heel a little. Only around 3 or 4 mm. At £4 they have to be worth a try.

Anyone else cure it using these heel lift things?
latest report
Jane L, Jane L,

Hi Jane,
Did the shin shields help your son..?? My wife has same problem. Any advice would be great.
david@harveysplace.com.au

Cheers
Dave
ski holidays
Fergus, Fergus,

Did you ever find a solution to this? Sounds similar to what i am experiencing.
ski holidays
Hopefully he did, he probably went to Bicester
snow report
Cynic, nah, surely he'd have gone to Profeet! wink
latest report
Pedantica, You know me to well, your right he probably did, although I'm sorry to say Hamish (the main man in all senses of the word and my only reason to recommend) is no longer with us so I am more reticent these days.
snow conditions
Cynic, oh yes, I'm sorry, I did read that. Tactless of me. Sad My condolences to you.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy