Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

openpistemap

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, like this idea but one of the things I've just seen on the Verbier map is that 3 itinerary routes are marked as black pistes - this should probably be changed but I'm not IT literate enough to do it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just found a Google Earth overlay for the Ski Welt area, showing all the pistes, lifts, restaurants etc.

http://www.skiwelt.at/map/skiwelt-google-earth.kml

I wonder how many others there are around.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow. Techno freaky deaky-ry. swfiua, do you actualy get ti ski anything whilst mucking about on your phone etc, I struggle to use word! Fair play to you all. I'll stick to finding south using the sun and a wrist watch(analogue of course).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This Openpistemap can be misleading.

One of the major disappointments is the skiing Livigno in Italy. According to this map it has only one access from the south side via a mountain pass from Switzerland which is actually closed during the winter.

There are two important accesses not indicated. The west side from Bromio which I think is the main route from the Italian side serving Livigno. The North end is from another Swiss side and is served by a single-lane tunnel that charges toll.

The above 3-route information is shown by Livigno web site with which I managed to ski it accessing from the North end in a day trip. It is ironic because not knowing the correct information I made a mistake by booking to stay in Pontresina hoping to access Livigno from the south side from the shortest distance possible. In the end I had to go round a big loop.

Thus this openpistemap gives exactly the opposite information needed by the visitors as far as the Livigno skiing resort is concerned.

Other serious omissions

Nothing for the domain from Valmorel to St Francious Long Champ (French Tarentaise)
Majority of the Milky Way
Hintertux and Mayrhofen are shown but no road in between
Livigno not shown to have any run or lift
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saikee wrote:
This Openpistemap can be misleading.
One of the major disappointments is the skiing Livigno in Italy. According to this map it has only one access from the south side via a mountain pass from Switzerland which is actually closed during the winter.

This is not the only disappointement you'll find on the map!

OpenStreetMap and OpenPisteMap are wiki kind of maps. If it does not contains information you know, one of the main reason is that you did not put this information on the database Smile
Please find again the links to help you contributing:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners%27_Guide
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Piste_Maps
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

the piste map that resorts supply is like the London Underground map: schematic.

Well, not exactly - or certainly not as good as the Underground map. They are neither skimatic nor topographical but a kind of mishmash, often superimposed on a bit of background artwork representing the mountain background. Like this. http://www.espacediamant.com/pdf/plan-pistes-espace-diamant.pdf

This creates all kinds of problems about "going round the back of mountains" and, as someone already pointed out, it's not always self-evident whether you are going down or up. I've always wondered why they don't put wee arrows on the piste marks, where there's any doubt.

A properly schematic map, clearly showing gradients and lengths of pistes (which is probably impossible to create, actually) would be a very good thing to have.

But I'd be OK with it on a bit of paper. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

A properly schematic map, clearly showing gradients and lengths of pistes (which is probably impossible to create, actually) would be a very good thing to have.
But I'd be OK with it on a bit of paper. wink

Actually, it could be done: calculate an elevation profile from OpenPisteMap data and SRTM (world elevation data in public domain). Then print it out. I don't say somebody did it, but the data are available.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A traditional map would do the trick!!

By which I mean something with contours on. Contours close together = steep. Spread apart = mellow. Just as with marked gradients, experience will quickly show what is too steep. Something like openpistemap is far more useful than a traditional pistemap.

Once upon a time (before they were married) Peter Hardy and Felice Eyston used to use traditional plan-view maps in their Good Skiing and Snowboarding Guide. Sadly, in the end, they followed the herd and now use common pistemaps.

If you have a logging GPS, software like MemoryMap will draw your track overlaid on a traditional map and, at the click of a button, also draw a profile of your journey so that you can see where you went up and down and how fast. It can also link the two so you can scroll a pointer along the profile and watch another move round the map to show where you were at the time. It can also display a 3D movie playing back your track - which is both cool and instructive. Perhaps, one day, openpistemap will be able to do such things too.

However (and this is just a personal preference) I'd prefer to see the relief represented using hypsometric tints (like Harvey's/BMC walkers' maps) rather than shaded relief as used by openpistemap. I find this easier for establishing up from down and for making out the general shapes of the mountains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartographic_relief_depiction
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another way to colour code the slope has been invented by Modogaus over on TGR:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3105277#post3047110

Quote:
it worked for me to colour code run paths according to speed, altitude or slope in Google Earth:
1. Draw your path in google earth and then save it as kml file
2. open GPS visualizer http://www.gpsvisualizer.com
3. Click on Google Earth Kml (to the right under more options)
4. Upload your kml file and set the desired settings, e.g. colorize by altitude
5. Create kml file and upload to Google Earth
It took me an hour to play around with the settings until it was perfect (click the + sign to see advanced options) but it works great....
I hope this helps.

I haven't tried it myself but it seems to work well.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy